autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Why do my micro's repel water?

This has always been a problem but just now I tried the proper way to remove bird poop (as seen on this forum) with the towel folded and placed on the dropping, and then I proceed to soak the towel with distilled water. But the water just runs off like a "duck's back". This was a 70-30% towel from one of the online retailers, washed in a good micro soap and double rinsed. All my towels do pretty much the same thing, with some being a little better at absorbing than others.
    What am I doing wrong?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why do my micro's repel water?

do you use fabric softner on them ?? It will limited their absorbing power. You can consider using a 1/2 to 1 cup white vinegar in rinse as it sometimes helps with softness and keeps them working well.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    do you use fabric softner on them ?? It will limited their absorbing power. You can consider using a 1/2 to 1 cup white vinegar in rinse as it sometimes helps with softness and keeps them working well.
    No I never use fabric softener on anything so it's not even in the machine. I've used vinegar before and never noticed a difference. I just took a second towel and cupped it in my hand, poured water into the center and it just sat there. I cant believe this is only happening to me. Even brand new towels do this. Sometimes I can sort of work the water in, and once wet they'll hold some water. But I've never seen an actually absorbent micro, except WW types, and until recently my towels were almost all Cobra's! About 12 of them in roughly 5 or 6 different varieties.

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like something some how get into your towels and is affecting their ability to absorb water. My first thought was fabric softener like said above. I have also heard bleach can affect them in a similar way. Have you ever used bleach in your wash machine?

Post Thanks / Like

the only other offering is to consider washing prior to using them, if you dont already, as there might be some film or something getting on them while shipping.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Silverstone View Post

the towel folded and placed on the dropping, and then I proceed to soak the towel with distilled water. But the water just runs off like a "duck's back".

Try dampening the towel before placing it on the finish.

Post Thanks / Like

Some people say if they boil their MF's for a few minutes they notice their towel regain their absorbency. Some add that they notice "stuff" floating to the top of the boiling water even on freshly washed towels. I have never had an absorbency problem so I have never boiled my towels but I am just going by what I have read.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you used them to remove wax/sealant or washed them with other towels that were used to remove wax/sealant?
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    Have you used them to remove wax/sealant or washed them with other towels that were used to remove wax/sealant?
    Sounds like this may be the problem, if not, the OP should soak them in some APC for a few hours and wash as usual.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It may sound goofy, but I had this problem (unknowingly, the hot water hose to my washer got jammed at the filter, must have washed them cold a couple of time), and I boiled mine for 20 minutes on the stove in a pig ole pot.

They were good as new after that. I thought it was hokus-pokus when I heard it, but it might be worth a shot.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast