autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

The Robert DiTerlizzi Method

This is a technique my buddy Robert shared with me and I like it so much I show it at all my classes and always give him due credit as I don't steal other guys stuff.

After you've done all the hard work the last thing you want to do is to put any swirls or scratches back into the paint. Now I wash all the microfiber towels we use here at the garage myself and I'm very meticulous and careful about the entire washing and drying process because the last thing I want to have happen is for Max to come out here to get a few microfiber towels to work on his cars and have some kind of contaminant in the towel.

That said, before using any microfiber towel it's important to inspect it two ways.

Visually Inspect
    First look closely at the towel, especially if the towel has a plush nap and inspect for any type of foreign contaminant that might be lodged in the nap. If discovered either remove the contaminant or get a different towel.

Tactically Inspect
    Second, take your clean hand and run it over the face of the towel on both sides. Often times your sense of touch will detect foreign particles or contaminants that your eyes cannot see. If discovered, remove the contaminant or get a different towel.

Do this for each towel. It only takes a few seconds to inspect your towels and it can save you a lot of heartache.

RDM = the Robert DiTerlizzi Method

Thanks Robert and for everyone reading this into the future, if you're not inspecting your microfiber towels by feeling EACH ONE before you wipe down something you've been buffing out all day long then start!

Due credit where credit is due...

2. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Robert DiTerlizzi Method

This is a great mothod of ensuring no foreign contaminates are still lodged in your towels before wiping down the paint. Great method Robert!

I will also like to iron out my towels with a lint roller to remove any excessive amount of lint from the washer and dryer.

Post Thanks / Like

Not only is Robert a great detailer, one hard worker in the autogeek showcar garage, He is a great friend.Thanks for posting this recognition Mike.
    "Chrome wheeled, fuel injected and steppin' out over the line"

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post

This is a great mothod of ensuring no foreign contaminates are still lodged in your towels before wiping down the paint. Great method Robert!

At the last Cars & Coffee, this one,

Pictures: 1st Cars & Coffee at Autogeek

I demonstrated this at the detailing class that we hold at our Cars & Coffees when working on this 1966 Nova

Afterwards, my buddy Gene, who owns a sweet 1963 Corvette Split Window came over to me and said he really like seeing this technique as he can see how important taking just a little time to insepct your towels can save a lot of time and headaches down the road.

I'm pretty sure I demoed this in both videos of my classes for Detail Fest,

How to use a rotary buffer to compound, polish and jewel paint

How to use the Flex 3401

I also demoed this technique for all the guys in Buenos Aires, Argentina a few weeks ago when Nick and I went o

Autogeek's Detailing Class in South America!

How to seal the paint

For this we're going to apply Pinnacle Black Label Synergy paste wax. First up a few tips on how to carefully apply a thin coat of wax over the surface....

Before wiping any wax off of any car it's important to both visually inspect your microfiber towels and then tactically inspect your microfiber towels and if any contaminants are discovered remove them or get a different microfiber towel.

Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post

I will also like to iron out my towels with a lint roller to remove any excessive amount of lint from the washer and dryer.
    Time for an article...

The Smack Method

Post Thanks / Like

This is a subject foreign to most newb, and most weekend warrior tend to be complacent with (although some vets do as well).

Great "how-to" and great reminder! Thanks Mike (and Robert)

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Post Thanks / Like

A simple idea, yet so important... thanks!
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so cautious with my microfibers that I'll inspect visually/with my fingertips up and down much like the pattern of mowing a yard, covering every square inch. It's a pain in the butt especially when I do a full load, but 100% of the time I'll remove foreign particles from the towels that could've scratched paint. We go through painstaking efforts to not induce swirls and scratches via utilizing foam guns, 2BM washes, legit car soaps, etc etc--proper drying methods cannot be overlooked either!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the post

Post Thanks / Like

RDM Method....I like it
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

I do this before I wash after I dry and before I touch my towels to paint been doing it for years. Wouldn't do it any other way even if the towels are brand new.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast