autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Super Member Anthony@zerboautoworks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I bet the cars we see on TV from waynes shop will look twice as good now, since you made your footprint there Mike, not saying they were not good to begin with, but hey I'm sure they learned something from you.

Mike Phillips

Re: Wayne Carini from Chasing Classic Cars gets a visit from Ivan Karstuff and Autogeek!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony@zerboautoworks View Post

Well I bet the cars we see on TV from Wayne's shop will look twice as good now, since you made your footprint there Mike, not saying they were not good to begin with, but hey I'm sure they learned something from you.

Marius, the head painter is a real pro with the rotary buffer, he can make the rotary buffer dance over the paint.

That said, he was very open to checking out and using the Flex 3401, the Flex PE14 and the Porter Cable 7424XP.

I make it personal habit to always be open to new products, pads, tools and techniques, that is to always be open to learning something new and I could tell Marius is the same way, he soaked up information like a sponge. His detailer co-worker was the same way.

Both of them are really hard workers too. Wayne's a fun guy to work for too, heck these guys are literally working on high end cars and multi-million dollars cars day-in and day-out. How cool is that?

If I were in their shoes, I would be sharing pictures on the forum all the time...

Mike Phillips

Re: Wayne Carini from Chasing Classic Cars gets a visit from Ivan Karstuff and Autogeek!

Working on the Ferrari seen in the TV Segment...

Someone who watched the TV show asked me if we finished removing the swirls... and of course, 'yes" is the answer. One of my jobs while I was there was to train Wayne's guys with some tools, pads and products I use in my detailing boot camp class.

Ferrari F430 - Used for the Autogeek how-to segment on Chasing Classic Cars

On our how-to segment on TV you see a hood filled with swirls and a tap-line running down the middle of the hood. After we filmed the segment, the next thing was to finish the rest of the car.

I started by first removing the swirls on the other side of the tape-line and in the process showing Marius how to use the Flex 3401 Forced Rotation Dual Action Polishers. Notice I'm running the polisher right down the middle of where the tape-line was when we taped-off the hood for the TV show segment. You can see Wayne's behind me checking out the progress on another build in his shop.

Lake Country 5" Hybrid Pads on Lake Country 4" Backing Plate
    I'm a big fan of the 4" Lake Country Backing Plate and the Lake Country 5" Hybrid pads and that's what we used on this Ferrari.

Marius turn...
    Here's Marius who is Wayne's head painter. Marius had never seen, nor used the Flex 3401 before this day nor the Porter Cable. So for his break-in car we're using this Ferrari F430

Machine Waxing
    Here's Marius machine applying wax for the first time too, after I left Marius said he would never apply a wax by hand again. For this I like to use the Porter Cable 7424XP with a Lake Country blue waxing pad and Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax. This was also the first time Marius used a paste wax by machine.

Here's Marius inspecting our work using the Swirl Finder Light, this was also the first time he'd seen and used this handy little tool. Of course, we left the shop all these cool tools to continue working with into the future...

Marius says it looks good!

Here's Marius backing the Ferrari into position for display...

Looking right at home in front of Wayne's F40.com store...

Here's the results...
    Here's the full overhead sun shot out in front of the F40.com store...

Now that's how the paint on a Ferrari is supposed to look!

Post Thanks / Like

damn.....i feel so jealous...i wish i could be there to learn those techniques on such cool cars

Post Thanks / Like

This is SOOOO cool to see.... I too have been a huge fan of Wayne's show along with many of the other "car shows" on the Velocity Network.

I've seen the show and on occasion seen Marius use his "old school" buffing wheel with what appeared to be a cotton bonnet pad... It's quite a relief now to see that he's now been given even more tools in his arsenal in order to get these time machine pieces looking just as they did, IF NOT BETTER, than when they were brand new and factory fresh!

Fantastic write-up!

When is Velocity going to give Mike his own show...? I'd watch a "proper" detailing program! There's just SO much I'd like to learn about the process of detailing... this forum is a great place to start.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by MCPunk79 View Post

This is SOOOO cool to see.... I too have been a huge fan of Wayne's show along with many of the other "car shows" on the Velocity Network.

I've seen the show and on occasion seen Marius use his "old school" buffing wheel with what appeared to be a cotton bonnet pad... It's quite a relief now to see that he's now been given even more tools in his arsenal in order to get these time machine pieces looking just as they did, IF NOT BETTER, than when they were brand new and factory fresh!
    When I saw the wool pad he was buffing with the first thought that wen through my mind was,

"I've never see a pad so worn out"

Fantastic write-up!
    I have more pictures from the work we did there, it's always just a "time" factor to go through them and then get them into a thread in a way people don't half to click on tiny thumbnail.

When is Velocity going to give Mike his own show...? I'd watch a "proper" detailing program! There's just SO much I'd like to learn about the process of detailing... this forum is a great place to start.

After doing about a dozen live broadcasts where we brought in real cars with real problems and the showcased a specific brand to fix the problems, I think this would make for a good format.

It always comes down to sponsors. Someone has to pay for air time. Here's a hint...

IF you like a certain show, and you want to see it stay on air... buy the products you see sponsoring the show and call, write or e-mail the company and tell them you bought their products because they sponsored a show you like.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123