autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Megs 105/205 versus Megs UC/UP

I have been using Megs UC and UP and getting what I feel are very good results. If I move to M105/205, what should I expect to see in terms of a difference? I realize there is probably more cut with 105/205 and maybe less time running the machine but, beyond that, should I see a better finish?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Megs 105/205 versus Megs UC/UP

I am not sure the machine running time will be any less. M105 has much more cut than UC, but is also much more finicky to use. M205 finishes very nicely and it just as easy to use as UP. The results are based on how bad the paint is prior to your polishing, and of course the technique you are using. If you are getting excellent results, no need to use a more agressive compound. Like Mike always says, use the least agressive products possible to get the desired results.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rockeey View Post
    I have been using Megs UC and UP and getting what I feel are very good results. If I move to M105/205, what should I expect to see in terms of a difference? I realize there is probably more cut with 105/205 and maybe less time running the machine but, beyond that, should I see a better finish?
    Is this a general question relative to the same vehicle or different vehicles that will come your way from time to time?

If same vehicle(s), then assuming you do a very good job already with UC/UP, the same vehicle any differences are going to be subtle. I would also question why you are switching to more aggressive products, especially 105.

If different vehicles, you should see similar amounts of time invested with subtle differences as well. That said, comparing paint from one vehicle to the next won't matter.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

+1 to the other suggestions.

As has been said, if you're getting good results with UC the 105 really isn't needed. Many have talked about 105 drying out, dusting, etc. which is more technique than anything, but the 'U' line by design has more oils and allow longer working times. I've noticed on some of my cars that when I first start working with UP for instance I can see the paint change color, deepen, from underneath the clear. At first it was bothering as I could see the color change but for the life of me couldn't control it. It all evened out however as I went on to cover adjoining areas with the product. (Which down the road I couldn't tell if it dried and lightened or if everything remained a bit more rich.)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input.

I was just wondering if there was really any benefit to move from the "Ultimate" products to the "Mirror" products. I wouldn't have any desire to do that unless I thought I could get better results and it doesn't sound like that would necessarily be the case.

Post Thanks / Like

If you switch from UC to 105 you'll run into numerous troubles, including dusting & short working time.

In many cases UC is LSP ready, no need for 205 or the like.

105 has a bit more cut, but so what?!

The UC was the first Megs products of that sort; 105 and all others (101) are UC variants.
    Flex 3401 & PE14

Post Thanks / Like

megs uc is an excellent product and just because it's available otc doesn't make it inferior to some boutique or online only products. for many years at the megs hq's in irvine, they've used the megs uc with their G110v2 and 7" 2.0 soft buffs pads, and in most cases they are able to remove the defects on most all car's they've used it on...
    i am the jump starter.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Danube View Post

The UC was the first Megs products of that sort; 105 and all others (101) are UC variants.

Actually, M86 was the first SMAT product they introduced...

The SMAT Pack - Everything you ever wanted to know about Meguiar's SMAT products...

SMAT Timeline
    Below is a list of all the current SMAT product in the order in which they were introduced to the market...

• October, 2006 - M86 Cut & Polish Cream
    • December, 2007 - M105 Ultra Cut Compound
    • December, 2007 - M95 Speed Cut Compound
    • April, 2008 - D151 Paint Reconditioning Cream
    • November, 2008 - M105 Ultra Cut Compound - New Formula: DA Polisher Approved
    • November, 2008 - M205 Ultra Finishing Polish
    • November, 2008 - Ultimate Compound
    • November, 2008 - SwirlX
    • November, 2008 - ScratchX - New & Improved with SMAT

Just to keep the information accurate....

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again guys. I'm going to give the M205 a shot and see if I can further refine the results I am getting.

Thinking what I might do is tape off a test spot and go Megs UC followed by M205 and then UP.

I would really like to splurge for some M101 but geez louise, it's a bit on the pricey side right now. Think I'll just wait for either a good sale or until the price comes down. Fortunately, I don't have any heavy cutting to do so no need to work with something stronger than UC right now.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rockeey View Post
    Thanks again guys. I'm going to give the M205 a shot and see if I can further refine the results I am getting.

Thinking what I might do is tape off a test spot and go Megs UC followed by M205 and then UP.

I would really like to splurge for some M101 but geez louise, it's a bit on the pricey side right now. Think I'll just wait for either a good sale or until the price comes down. Fortunately, I don't have any heavy cutting to do so no need to work with something stronger than UC right now.
    Ya' know Rockeey, I'm betting the finish you get with the UC/UP will work out just fine. The UC will cut pretty good given the right pad. The finish on 205 vs UP is very very close. Probably a better test to do a side by side with 105/205 then UC/UP.

I hear ya' though on it getting expensive! My wife is giving me all sorts of grief as she's used to small bottles IE $10 showing up. We've been together since 73 and I very seldom let her see anything in gallon containers. (Other than concentrated cleaners etc.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast