autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Flex 3401 vs rupes 21 mark 2

Hey Mike I have the 3401 what's all the hype about rupes 21 mark 2 is there fast defect removal with the mark 2 by rupes. And what's the difference between the 2 machines is one better than another.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex 3401 vs rupes 21 mark 2

The Rupes is like a woman, you have to treat it right and finesse it all the time or it'll stop working for you and everyone else will say it's your fault. I have multiple rupes machines and only reach for my mini to do intricate areas because Flex refuses to make a mini forced rotation. With that said, I always reach for one of my flex machines!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh No the dreaded Flex vs Rupes question. Both are excellent machines. I am a Flex 3401 Fanboy and IMO it is the best of both worlds. It is a hybrid rotary and DA. I recently tried a new jeweling polish (3M Perfect-It Ultrafine) and the instructions said this product was specifically designed for a rotary. I called the 3M rep and he said that the Flex 3401 could be just as effective as it has the "forced rotation" and it was him that said the Flex 3401 was a hybrid.

All I do know is that there is no need for me to look at a Rupes and I am sure vice versa for the Rupes Fanboys. All I know is that the Flex will tackle any curved panel with ease. A free floating DA you have to "finese" your way. The Rupes is smoother and quieter and you can probably work longer compared to the Flex. But getting used to either machine will make you great either way.

Again, BOTH are awesome DA's just a matter of differences in preference.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Here we go again!

Post Thanks / Like

NOOOOOO NOT THIS AGAIN!!

Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Jk jk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Elijah View Post
    Hey Mike I have the 3401 what's all the hype about rupes 21 mark 2 is there fast defect removal with the mark 2 by rupes. And what's the difference between the 2 machines is one better than another.
    May I ask why you're curious about the Rupes?

Are you unhappy with what you have currently?

If you plan on buying, what are your goals? What kind of work? Production detailing?

Let's start here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Elijah View Post
    The difference is, you will need a leash with one of them..it's the law when walking the dog

Post Thanks / Like

Lotsa discussion on this topic and I've read all I could find about it in the run up to the recent Holiday Sales. Still couldn't decide with any level of confidence as it all seems to come down to user preference, user style and user technique, a collection of completely un-quantifiable personal factors.

Towards that end I snatched up enough discounted gift certificates to somewhat economically grab:

1. Rupes LHR15 Mk II w/ corresponding sets of all Rupes Pads and liquids except for the green medium pads/liquids. Also grabbed some B & S Uro-Tec pads as those seem preferred by many as well as some LC Orbital pads to try.

2. Rupes LHR75 Mini with corresponding Rupes/LC Orbital small pads.

3. FLEX 3401 VRG with sets of LC Force Hybrid pads.

Not exactly the most efficient way to go for most but I figure I'd end up in the same place if I took the piecemeal approach because 'know thyself' and all that.

With all that in mind, I figure once detailing season rolls around and I'm working on jobs, 'natural selection' will lead me to pick up whatever tool I've grown to prefer and then I'll have my answer.

I've not yet fired up the FLEX but I've had the chance to put in about 10hrs with the Rupes 15 and it's an incerdible tool but requires attention and practice. Thing is, once you seem to get into working with it and learn even the most basic of its quirks it's nearly an ethereal experience to use. Even when it doesn't seem to be working hard (due to smoothness, ergonomics and noise) you lift the pad after doing a section and see results far better than what you expected. I really, really look forward to watching my experience and technique progress, with associated results. The satisfaction will just be incredible methinks.

Now from what I've gathered, the FLEX experience will be more akin to doing a job with a supercharged GG6. Vibration and pressure will be more pronounced but results will be much quicker (than GG6). Have not used it yet but that's what I'm expecting.

Current thoughts are that on moderate to severe correction jobs, the FLEX will take care of the initial compounding step and then the more 'elegant' Rupes will come in for the polishing/refinement step. History has proved, however, that things that seem like great ideas in my mind become somewhat tempered by reality...oh well.

In my mind (with limited to no experience with either machine) the FLEX will paint the broad strokes of the final product while the Rupes will provide the gentler, more refined 'Finishing touch'.

Now I'm sure there are people out their who can wield soley one machine or the other at truly masterful levels. But I'm thinking I'm not one of those guys so I was looking for a variety of machines/methods to best address my own strengths and weaknesses; again, 'Know thyself...'

Will be interesting to see how it all turns out.

Now, anyone wanna get into the Rupes vs. GG Boss debate?

Disclaimer: I do this stuff solely for entertainment so I can take infinite amounts of time just goofing around with machine, products and technique.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslair View Post
    Here we go again!
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast