autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: waterless wash

Post Thanks / Like

Re: waterless wash

Quote Originally Posted by duquephart View Post
    Wind does not change the ambient air temperature.
    Try rolling all your windows down while driving in freezing cold temperatures.
    Maybe ride a motorcycle in the same freezing cold temperatures.
    Then come back and report.
    lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duquephart View Post
    Wind does not change the ambient
    air temperature.
    Quote Originally Posted by vanev View Post
    Try rolling all your windows down while
    driving in freezing cold temperatures.
    Maybe ride a motorcycle in the same
    freezing cold temperatures.

Then come back and report.
    lol.
    Aren't both of these cases
    governed by Physics?

RE: Newton's "Law of Cooling"

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Windchill cannot cause something to freeze... for instance, if ambient temps are 40 degrees, but with windchill it "feels like" 30 degrees, a bucket of water will not freeze if left outside.

However, to the OP's question, if a vehicle is outdoors in 20 degree weather, rinseless or waterless wash solution can certainly freeze on the surface even if you are using warm water as the thin layer of water that is on the car will cool rapidly when the surface temp of the vehicle is 20F. You may be able to work quickly and avoid freezing, however I'd simply wait for temps to be above or very near freezing... or find a sheltered area to wash in.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    Windchill cannot cause something to freeze... for instance, if ambient temps are 40 degrees, but with windchill it "feels like" 30 degrees, a bucket of water will not freeze if left outside.

However, to the OP's question, if a vehicle is outdoors in 20 degree weather, rinseless or waterless wash solution can certainly freeze on the surface even if you are using warm water as the thin layer of water that is on the car will cool rapidly when the surface temp of the vehicle is 20F. You may be able to work quickly and avoid freezing, however I'd simply wait for temps to be above or very near freezing... or find a sheltered area to wash in.
    I pretty much agree with all this.

The temperature outside is what it is. The windchill is a number given to how cold it feels, and not how cold it is.

If you do attempt to start washing, and find your solution freezing. There may be an option to help you finish. That would be to work in the sun. If you move into the sunlight, the sun may warm the panel enough to make your product usable.

Post Thanks / Like

What about when it says it's 20 degrees out and wind chill is -10? It sure as hell feels colder than 20 degrees.

Post Thanks / Like

Three days ago, I did a Dodge Ram 2500 with Optimum No Rinse Wash and Wax with temperatures around 29 degrees F. I used warm water, did one panel at a time, and worked quickly.

My process: spray panel with ONR solution. Keep bucket of warm solution with 15 clean towels in the solution. Wipe panel with towel using clean surface for each wipe. Dry with waffle weave. Move to next panel.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY
    Official Detailer of Camarofest 8 & 9
    No one has detailed more Camaros.

Post Thanks / Like

The rag would be cold after I wiped each panel but no freezing. I will post pics when I get to a computer.

Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY
    Official Detailer of Camarofest 8 & 9
    No one has detailed more Camaros.

Post Thanks / Like

Windchill is how a cold a person feels with the wind blowing. So, it is 20 degrees, with no wind, and it feels like 20 degrees. With wind blowing, it feels like -10C because the wind is blowing off the insulating layer of air that is on the surface of your skin. The temperature feels like it is the equivalent of -10 in still air. Hence, windchill is -10. You can also think of it as a human perception thing only. Like you said "... It sure feels a hell of a lot colder than 20 degrees".

Bucket of sand, at the same 20 degrees. In still air, temperature of the sand is 20 degrees. With the wind blowing at the same speed, the same speed as above, the bucket will still be 20 degrees. Sand or bucket do not have an insulating air layer, nor do they have any way of feeling what the temperature is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
    Three days ago, I did a Dodge Ram 2500 with Optimum No Rinse Wash and Wax with temperatures around 29 degrees F. I used warm water, did one panel at a time, and worked quickly.

My process: spray panel with ONR solution. Keep bucket of warm solution with 15 clean towels in the solution. Wipe panel with towel using clean surface for each wipe. Dry with waffle weave. Move to next panel.

Mobile maintenance wash done in front of the customer's house at 29*F with Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 392hemi View Post
    What about when it says it's 20 degrees out and wind chill is -10? It sure as hell feels colder than 20 degrees.
    That's why it's called the wind chill "factor" and not wind chill temperature.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast