autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Repairing paint chips on a car with cQuartz coating.

Mike, (or group),

How would you recommend filling paint chips on a car that' already coated in cQuartz? Would it be the same process as without the coating? Do you reapply cQuartz to the area after?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Repairing paint chips on a car with cQuartz coating.

Quote Originally Posted by mattkoyak View Post
    Mike, (or group),

How would you recommend filling paint chips on a car that' already coated in cQuartz? Would it be the same process as without the coating? Do you reapply cQuartz to the area after?
    I'll take a stab at this.

Is it just a few small chips, one here, one there sort of thing, or are you wishing to repair a considerable amount of road rash that has occurred to the front of the hood, front bumper?

If it was just a few chips at most, I myself might simply try hand polishing those specific areas with an ultra fine hand polish, then cleanse those chip areas with an IPA prep to insure polishing oils and polish residues were gone from the chip so that the touch up paint will bond-adhere better without future problems.

If it was more than this, such as the road rash scenario I mention, I'd more than likely be inclined to whip out the D/A Polisher, and re-polish entire panels.

In any case if you want the protection of CQuartz on that newly applied touch up, yes, one should re-coat.

For fast curing paints such as Dr Color Chip, I'd still probably wait a good week for paint to fully dry-cure before coating, or any possible further polishing processes are done.

For slower drying factory type touch up paints I might be inclined to wait even a longer period of time.

When I firstly went over my entire White Tahoe with Dr Color Chip Touch Up Paint wherever there were rock chips, I waited a full week before beginning any polishing, or with the CQuartz UK Coating I used.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, that vaguely helps. There are 2-3 rock chips where the metal is now exposed. I just needed to know if I should only recoat the area after I'm done, or should I redo the whole hood?

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I would just touch them up and move on.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mattkoyak View Post
    Thanks, that vaguely helps. There are 2-3 rock chips where the metal is now exposed. I just needed to know if I should only recoat the area after I'm done, or should I redo the whole hood?
    The best I can advise, and if it was me, I reckon some bit of common "easy way out" sense would be at least tried, and that I would of course see if I could have success with just re-coating those small areas first and see how that goes?

I would think that if there were any "topper" type products you had maybe later applied (such as CarPro Reload, GTehniq C2V3, etc) and that they were somehow effectively removed without compromise to the underlying coating, then one might have success by simply applying the coating in these small areas and having the coating properly adhere, and level smooth.

If not, I think you then would know the answer of what would need to be done, that an entire panel might have to be again re-polished. If that was the case, and since it is especially a CarPro Coating you used, I'd probably be reaching for a Bottle of Carpro Essence.

As for Essence, I understand that it can be used by hand, and might serve well for your needs in this particular instance, to just re-prep these smaller areas prior to applying any more of the Coating.