autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

After Rain - Prevent Water Spots

Hi,

I have a black car, detailed flawless with PBL sealant and Souveran Paste Wax. I wash it with CR Spotless Wash, and works great to prevent water spots.

Car was dusty and it rained while I was out, and haven't had a chance to wash it after for 2 weeks. Just washed and the entire hood is covered in the water spots, especially where the dust pooled.

I know how to correct the paint, but asking for best way to prevent after rain without having to wash the entire car after each rain.

Thanks and welcome any advice!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: After Rain - Prevent Water Spots

Finish Kare 1000P is what I used on the Audi this past summer. No spots.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Or collinite.

Post Thanks / Like

Water spots are a result of mineral deposits left on the surface after the water has evaporated. These minerals can come from within the water (hard water) or from particles already on the surface of your vehicle if dirty (ie pollen, dust, etc). Most rain water, aside from acid rain, will not leave spots on its own... at least that has been my experience. The exception is when you have particles already on your paint, as I already mentioned, that will stick to the water droplets forming as it rains and remain after the water evaporates. Municipal water sources... tap water from hoses, sprinklers, etc. is typically quite hard and therefore will certainly leave spots and should never be allowed to dry on your vehicle.

Regardless of the LSP that is applied to your vehicle, if these mineral deposits are left on the surface, you will have stubborn water spots. If left for too long, you may experience water spot etchings.

Long story short - if you're concerned about water spots, wash your car after it rains.

If your spots have not etched, a good wash with some warm water may be all it takes to remove them. Otherwise you will need to use a water spot remover like CarPro Spotless. If they have etched, then break out the abrasives. Polish, Compound, or in the most severe cases, wet sanding will remove water spot etchings.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Short of washing your car, all you can do is give it a quick wipe down with some detailing spray if your car is clean but just has the water spots from the rain. Granted they're not as bad as the hard water you'd get from the city but a quick detailer should fix it for you without you having to re-wash your car. That being said, I pretty much just wash my car after it rains. Maybe consider the rinseless/waterless route for a faster wash.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Or collinite.
    I love Collinite, and it has been on all of my cars for years, but I've always had water spot issues with it. The water beading is insane, which actually causes more spotting issues.

My car sits outside while I'm at work, and I frequently come out to the car after it's been raining and my car is covered in dusty polka dots. In fact, yesterday when I walked out to my car after a day of showers, my car was the only one in the lot with lots of water beads on all of the horizontal surfaces. All of the ill-kept cars around me were dry.

My car too is black. I've found a good covering of a quality LSP teamed up with routine washes is the best defense against spotting.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    If your spots have not etched, a good wash with some warm water may be all it takes to remove them. Otherwise you will need to use a water spot remover like CarPro Spotless. .
    I came close to trying Spotless. Any worries about it impacting a coating, wax or sealant?
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    Finish Kare 1000P is what I used on the Audi this past summer. No spots.

this has always been my go to but with hard water it does nothing, im coated now and the coat is better then 1000p but still if water is left to sit and has any deposits no matter what you have for a LSP it will spot or etch

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    I came close to trying Spotless. Any worries about it impacting a coating, wax or sealant?
    Spotless was developed to work with coatings, enabling detailers/vehicle owners to remove bonded mineral spots without having to break out the polisher and risk degrading or removing the coating. It may effect waxes & sealants negatively... I haven't tried.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Black paint is a nightmare, you really want to try and find a LSP that sheets instead of beading. Beading looks sexy but results in very bad water spots, as Desertnate noticed nice tall great looking beads dry extremely slowly and just catch more airborne contaminants and they settle right on the outside edge of the water droplet and form hideous rings. Beading is for light colored cars.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast