autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sealant vs Wax

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sealant vs Wax

I've topped DG501 with BFWDAFPP and BlackIce and noticed it produced a wavy look to it compared to just 4* next to it. The 4* area looked crisp, whereas the layered side with the aforementioned products seemed, well, wavy. Wavy as in that the thickness of the products produced a wavy appearance.
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
    Since Collinite markets their 845 as a wax and will last up to 5 months, is that complete bull$hit or good info? Also, does the Collinite shine look warm like a typical wax or glossy like a sealant?
    I easily get six months out of 845 in the mid-west US. I detailed my wife's car this weekend, and the coat I applied last October was finally showing signs of giving up; nearly seven months. For some reason, my car which lives an easier life, only lasted around 5 months this year. Either way, I'm pleased with the results. 845 is now the standard I judge all other LSP's.

I'd put the look somewhere closer to a sealant than a carnauba, but not the glass-coated look you get from some sealants.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I easily get six months out of 845 in the mid-west US. I detailed my wife's car this weekend, and the coat I applied last October was finally showing signs of giving up; nearly seven months. For some reason, my car which lives an easier life, only lasted around 5 months this year. Either way, I'm pleased with the results. 845 is now the standard I judge all other LSP's.

I'd put the look somewhere closer to a sealant than a carnauba, but not the glass-coated look you get from some sealants.
    Thanks sir

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Of course you can apply a sealant, then a wax - and feel the wax. Can you or anyone else prove the solvents that make carnauba wax useable in the "wax product" aren't removing the sealant?
    Let's start by agreeing on what you mean by "prove"? To me "proven" (in the way we're using it) is anything beyond a reasonable doubt just like black holes even though it's still just theory.

Your point was that "Nobody's every proved you can "layer" anything over anything", not that the wax is or isn't mixing with the sealant your trying to top (that's more of a compatibility issue). If the paint feels one way with product X then it feels different after you top with product Y clearly product Y is on top of product X leading to a different feeling/texture on the paint. In order to prove this by touch alone you would have to have isolate 4 sections; one with wax only, one with sealant only, one with nothing as a control, and one with wax over the sealant. If wax only section feels different than Wax over sealant then we can assume the wax is affecting the sealant, if they feel the same but different than the control and sealant only sections, I'd say it's fair to assume the wax successfully topped the sealant.

Another way is to top a coating with wax and then strip the wax while leaving a coating below (I've topped Uber coating with Fuzion wax and was able to strip the wax and still keep my coating).

The best way I could put it to you is like mustard on bread I'm sure that the mustard is layered on top of the bread but at the same time at the microscopic level I'm sure there's some emulsion going on.

There's also many types of sealants (SiO2, Acrylic/Polymer, etc.). If you got two specific products in mind I could get my University Chemistry Professor friend to run some tests for us with the actual products in question. I'm actually interested to see the facts myself rather than just speculating based off what I can feel.

We could also easily test a wax without solvents (like rubbing bee's wax on a sealed panel/section).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4u2nvinmtl View Post
    Let's start by agreeing on what you mean by "prove"? To me "proven" (in the way we're using it) is anything beyond a reasonable doubt just like black holes even though it's still just theory.

Your point was that "Nobody's every proved you can "layer" anything over anything", not that the wax is or isn't mixing with the sealant your trying to top (that's more of a compatibility issue). If the paint feels one way with product X then it feels different after you top with product Y clearly product Y is on top of product X leading to a different feeling/texture on the paint. In order to prove this by touch alone you would have to have isolate 4 sections; one with wax only, one with sealant only, one with nothing as a control, and one with wax over the sealant. If wax only section feels different than Wax over sealant then we can assume the wax is affecting the sealant, if they feel the same but different than the control and sealant only sections, I'd say it's fair to assume the wax successfully topped the sealant.

Another way is to top a coating with wax and then strip the wax while leaving a coating below (I've topped Uber coating with Fuzion wax and was able to strip the wax and still keep my coating).

The best way I could put it to you is like mustard on bread I'm sure that the mustard is layered on top of the bread but at the same time at the microscopic level I'm sure there's some emulsion going on.

There's also many types of sealants (SiO2, Acrylic/Polymer, etc.). If you got two specific products in mind I could get my University Chemistry Professor friend to run some tests for us with the actual products in question. I'm actually interested to see the facts myself rather than just speculating based off what I can feel.

We could also easily test a wax without solvents (like rubbing bee's wax on a sealed panel/section).
    Now that's some deep stuff right there. I'll just take the word that one can layer Carnauba wax over a sealant.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jwc7 View Post
    Can someone please give me the
    "Cliff's Notes" version of why sealant
    over wax, or wax over sealant?

What are the relative advantages/disadvantages
    of each?
    •Since, IMO, you kinda have to
    start at the beginning:
    -Are car paint-systems porous;
    and to what degree?
    -If waxes/sealants can/do form
    bonds/bonding...then what factors
    will break these bonds/bonding?

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123