autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Scratch remover on whole car?

I have a black 03 350z and this weekend I did the whole car in my blackfire sealant and a layer of wax after that all with a 7424. For a 2003 black paint job it did really well with depth and clarity. As I finished buffing the whole car it seemed that it brought some new scratches to life that I hadn't noticed. I was wondering if there was like a medium scratch remover that would be good to use on the whole car and not just for certain areas. I have wolf total swirl but I didn't think it would be strong enough or maybe it could be idk.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Scratch remover on whole car?

Do you think the scratches were there before you did the sealant and wax or did you have a contaminated pad or towel that caused the scratches? Usually a sealant and wax will help hide scratches/swirls, not "bring them out". I would try a test spot with the total swirl remover and see what happens.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I might have said that wrong....all the scratches look straight here and there not like from any of my pads like circular or anything I would think. I just meant like I could see the scratches more clearly since I got light swirls and the oxidation out.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to say since my car is a Nissan that I'm pretty sure the paint is really soft and that's probably half the problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by n8te81 View Post
    I forgot to say since my car is a Nissan that I'm pretty sure the paint is really soft and that's probably half the problem.
    I think the Wolfgang TSR will be fine, it's worth a shot, right? Since you already have it? If you haven't used any polish on it previously it should make a big difference. Possibly you would have to follow it up with a milder approach on that soft black.

Post Thanks / Like

If your in a pinch pick up some Megs UC and do the car with that, stuff works great and on soft Japanese paint, it's not going to take much work or speed to knock out that paint and make it look awesome Once again!

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by n8te81 View Post

I was wondering if there was like a medium scratch remover that would be good to use on the whole car and not just for certain areas.

I have wolf total swirl but I didn't think it would be strong enough or maybe it could be idk.
    I'd try the Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover as it's a medium cut polish and works great for this type of work.

In most cases, if it doesn't remove the scratches they could be so deep you're better off living with them than removing them. This is especially true if the car is a daily driver as it's just going to get more scratches in the future.

Check this article out, TONS of information.

The Wolfgang Four

Here are four products that will take care of about 99.9% of any exterior paint correction product you'll ever have in your garage.

The Wolfgang Four

Forum member RFulmer coined this term, (due credit where credit is due), and since there's been a lot of questions about what each product is, what they do, the order of aggressiveness and when you use one over the other, here's some info...

Uber Compound
    • Aggressive Compound - More aggressive than Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover and Wolfgang Finishing Glaze.
    • For use with any type of polisher/buffer and can be used by hand.
    • Body Shop Safe = Can be used in a fresh paint. environment (body shop) and can be used on fresh paint, (paint just sprayed and less than 30 days old).
    • Safe for Ceramiclear paints.
    • Cafe for all clear coat paints.
    • Safe for all single stage paints.
    • For some people on some cars it can be used as a compound/polish after which the paint can be sealed with a wax or synthetic paint sealant.

Total Swirl Remover
    • Medium Cut Polish - Less aggressive than Uber Compound and more aggressive than Wolfgang Finishing Glaze.
    • Body Shop Safe = Can be used in a fresh paint. environment (body shop) and can be used on fresh paint, (paint just sprayed and less than 30 days old).
    • Should be tested before using Uber Compound to see if it will remove defects to our satisfaction in keeping with the practice of using the least aggressive product to get the job done.

Finishing Glaze
    • Fine Cut Polish - Much less aggressive than Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover and of course dramatically less aggressive than Wolfgang Uber Compound.
    • Should be tested before using Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover to see if it will remove defects to our satisfaction in keeping with the practice of using the least aggressive product to get the job done.
    • Great "Maintenance Polish" for use removing shallow swirls that show up over time from normal wear-n-tear on daily drivers and after a person has already performed a multi-step procedure to remove serious paint defects.

Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0
    • German engineered synthetic paint sealant.
    • Non-cleaning, pure synthetic - Paint must be in excellent condition as in brand new or previously polished to like new condition before use.
    • Can be applied by hand or any type of dual action polisher wit foam pads.
    • This product "seals" the paint in the say way a car wax or paint coating will seal the paint. It is water insoluble and as such like all synthetic paint sealants, car waxes and paint coatings is not body shop safe.
    • Requires 30 to 45 minutes of drying time before removal.
    • Oxygen activated. After buffing off the excess sealant the remaining protection ingredients should be allowed to cure and fully set-up for an approximate 12 hour window of time before the vehicle is put back into service where it will be exposed to water.

Synergistic Chemical Compatibility
    Each product is chemically compatible and chemically beneficial when used as a system approach to take a diamond in the rough and turn it into a glistening gemstone. Using the entire line in the correct order or just a few of the product in the correct order is an example of working forward in the paint polishing process.

All Inclusive System-Approach
    This group of four products with just about any tool, any pad and even by hand will produce not only show car results but do it consistently across a VERY wide spectrum of paint systems including,
    • Hard paints, soft paints and everything in-between.
    • Factory OEM paints and aftermarket repaints at your local body shop or custom paint shop.
    • Single stage and basecoat clearcoat.
    Which products do you need?
    Which product you'll need depend upon the condition of the paint on the car. Click to my list of paint condition categories and read through the descriptions for the different categories. Then after washing and drying your car, inspect the paint both with your sense of touch, (The Baggie Test), and visually with your eyes in bright light for swirls and scratches.

Then determine which category your car's paint fall into. Here are some general guidelines but the best way to determine which exact product you'll need to remove the defects and restore the finish on your car to your expectations can only be determined by doing a Test Spot

How To Do a Test Spot

Test Spot results showing the before and after difference...

On Autogeek.com

Wolfgang Uber Compound 3.0

Total Swirl Remover

Finishing Glaze

Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0

And if you don't have a 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads get them...

5 inch Backing Plates on Meguiar's, Griot's and Porter Cable DA Polishers