autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Dealing with "hack" detailers

Hi everyone just wanted to write a post about my experience at my first autoshow as not just a spectator but a detailer. I did 2 Landrover Defenders for some gentleman that are in the show, and have been working side by side other detailers. However, I have seen some stuff and heard some stuff that really made me want to throw myself into a bus.

Just some random incidents that stick out in my mind:

1.) Most detailers believe a 2 bucket wash is the worst way to wash a car

2.) Most detailers don't actually know how to use a polisher and hand polish everything

3.) (this one was the best and really made my head spin) At the chemical guys booth, they had a demo hood where they were allowing people to use a DA with their polish to polish the hood. Anyways, this old gentleman probably 65 was using it. He was holding the DA with so much pressure that it wasn't actually spinning it was just vibrating. I went up to him and said "excuse me sir, you see the pad is not spinning because you're using too much pressure and that is preventing it from "cutting" and removing the swirls. He stops and gives me this condescending smile and says "I know I am doing this to generate more heat". I had to grab onto the booth itself because I just about fell over. He then complains how he doesn't like DA's ect ect.

4.) Another detailer saw me air drying my vehicles after 2 bucket washing them, and said that was one of the dumbest things he's seen and that I have to dry using microfibers.

Anyways this was just my experience at my first autoshow being a detailer with my own business; where I realized there really are many "experts" that have no idea what they're talking about. All I replied with was "okay" for the most part when they would critique my work. How do you guys deal with hack jobs?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dealing with "hack" detailers

Quote Originally Posted by RyanPaul View Post
    How do you guys deal with hack jobs?
    Just smile and nod.

Post Thanks / Like

That will keep you up at night. Just keep doing it the best you can and bussiness will follow. I have been there, and now I after 16 years have figured that out!

Post Thanks / Like

What he ^ said

Post Thanks / Like

It's all about keeping your composure while you watch people destroy vehicles! Arguing with them will get you nowhere. Their "technique" is tried and true by their father, his father and his father before him! Let them think what they want, and when they actually want to start being a professional; direct them to AGO!

Post Thanks / Like

Just ignore them. If it works for them and their customers are happy with the results, so what.

Never attempt to drag people up to your level of knowledge and experience. It will just give you a sore back.
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

it really is amazing.. all the misinformed people and their techniques. I find it entertaining.

Post Thanks / Like

You know what they say. Opinions are like a holes. Everybody has one. Lol.

Many people think their way of doing something is the best and right way. 💀

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you mentioned people like this. I HATE people that do this. They make up some excuse and try and make it look like its the industry standard. For example, using armor all is the best thing ever or you will take off your finish by waxing...
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like

You should be happy. If your competition doesn't know what they are doing, that is more potential clients for you. It's sad to say because we all love cars and want to see them being well taken care of, but as a business person, if you are much better than your competition, it's a big plus.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast