autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Removing water spots from vinyl stripes

I'm trying to help a friend with an issue on his 2008 GT500. This is a car he recently purchased and is a garage queen.

"Does anyone have information or knowledge of how to remove hard-water spots from stripes. My blue hood, roof and trunk stripes are covered in them and I've tried washing, waxing and even a special plastic polish, but nothing has helped. I can order a new set, but that will set me back about $1100.00 not including installation."

Any help would be great.

Mike Phillips

Re: Removing water spots from vinyl stripes

Quote Originally Posted by Ford Fest View Post
    I'm trying to help a friend with an issue on his 2008 GT500. This is a car he recently purchased and is a garage queen.

"Does anyone have information or knowledge of how to remove hard-water spots from stripes. My blue hood, roof and trunk stripes are covered in them and I've tried washing, waxing and even a special plastic polish, but nothing has helped. I can order a new set, but that will set me back about $1100.00 not including installation."

Any help would be great.

This topic either recently came up or I was involved in Private Messages over this issue....

Hang on....

Mike Phillips

It was a PM from a new member with a 2007 Shelby GT with tough hard water spots.

My reply back to him when he asked for a way to remove water spots off of vinyl stripes was,

Get either Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant or CarPro Pearl and massage either of these products onto the vinyl graphics using a soft, foam applicator pad.

It "might" remove or improve the water spots but you won't know until you try.

One thing for sure, both/either will maintain the vinyl graphics and keep them looking good.

You need to find something to use regularly that's for sure.

The problem with vinyl graphic is the material itself doesn't lend itself well to being abrading in any fashion. If you rub hard on it you'll put rubbing scratches into it.

That's the downside of some cosmetic features of a car, it's not easy for the average person or even the skilled detailer to undo damage to all the materials used to make the car.

In the PM I received about the water spots on the Shelby, the forum member also told me they researched this issue and found it to be a common problem on Ford Mustang forums.

Post Thanks / Like

bump for info. thanks Mike.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same problem with the stripes on the hood of my MINI. To compound the problem, I also had residue from the tape I used to keep me from messing them up when I used the polisher.

I tried everything I could think of to remove the blemishes. Finally, I thought I was going to just replace the stripes. Thinking that i was going to replace them anyway, I just decided to let the polisher have a go at them. I believe I was using a light abrasive like Wolfgang's swirl remover. They came out perfect.

My stripes have a shine to them, so I'm not sure this will work on a matte finish, but it worked like a charm for me.

Mike Phillips

Thanks for adding this and a couple of comments...

Quote Originally Posted by miniSguy View Post

I just decided to let the polisher have a go at them. I believe I was using a light abrasive like Wolfgang's swirl remover. They came out perfect.
    Maybe Wolfgang Finishing Glaze? TSR is a medium cut polish.

Quote Originally Posted by miniSguy View Post

My stripes have a shine to them, so I'm not sure this will work on a matte finish, but it worked like a charm for me.
    Shiny graphics and matte graphics are two very different animals. Anyone reading this into the future be sure to test first...

Post Thanks / Like

True Mike , it s something that we forget sometimes ...lol
    05 M/T SER Altima . NismoOBXDynomax exh .RL FSTB&BTD, H&R Springs & Triple C Bolt, RLRShifterBushing, EBC Ft/Rr Pads/Rotors, Synto/Wix Filter, RP MaxATF PS, Motul BF/C, Pennzoil Gear Oil ,Wix cab filter, Interstate, Michelin Pilot A/S+