autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Porsche engines ??

Hello everybody I have a question I want answered. I have a Cayenne S 2006 with the v8 engine, is it possible to make it to a Turbo S ? I could find a cayenne used turbo and an exhaust and put that on? is it worth it?
    Thank you for your time.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Porsche engines ??

Not sure you are on the right forum to get good info on that.

All I can tell you is that I want interested in putting a turbo on my car and a mechanic told me it was a bad idea.

Modern engines are engineered to an inch of their life. Everything is calibrated and designed for a specific amount of power. If you go and boost that power by adding a turbo, many of the components won't be able to sustain the extra load and will start to fail.

I don't know if that is true for Porshe engines but I assume every manufacturer follow the same principles. Why put a parts designed to work with 500 horse power when the engine only produces 200? It would make the engine more expensive to build for no reason.

If I were you I would talk to a Porshe mechanic and visit forum with people who do car modifications...

Either way, good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ursmoked View Post
    Hello everybody I have a question I want answered. I have a Cayenne S 2006 with the v8 engine, is it possible to make it to a Turbo S ? I could find a cayenne used turbo and an exhaust and put that on? is it worth it?
    Thank you for your time.
    Quick answer no.. You can't just bolt a turbo on a car.. When you add more air you NEED to add more fuel and a turbo is adding wayyy more air. Also the internals of the engine may need to be changed to handle the boost in air pressure (ie. lower compression pistons, better valves, maybe even crank, and connecting rods.) on top that the computer in the car may need to be replaced or tuned.

It is not simple..like previously mentioned if it is something you really want to know about check out a Porsche forum. But just know your looking at thousands in investment.
    It's all in the details

Post Thanks / Like
    Where is George Brown when we need him?

Post Thanks / Like

Unless you really want a project car with all the headaches and downtime that go with it:

sell cayenne ----> purchase cayenne turbo S ----> avoid headaches ----> spend the hours/money doing supporting mods on turbo S.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Not sure you are on the right forum to get good info on that.

All I can tell you is that I want interested in putting a turbo on my car and a mechanic told me it was a bad idea.

Modern engines are engineered to an inch of their life. Everything is calibrated and designed for a specific amount of power. If you go and boost that power by adding a turbo, many of the components won't be able to sustain the extra load and will start to fail.

I don't know if that is true for Porshe engines but I assume every manufacturer follow the same principles. Why put a parts designed to work with 500 horse power when the engine only produces 200? It would make the engine more expensive to build for no reason.

If I were you I would talk to a Porshe mechanic and visit forum with people who do car modifications...

Either way, good luck.

I agree that modern engines are highly engineered, BUT, lots of factors are involved, both on the engineering side and the marketing side.

Often, the same motor (Audi 4.2 L) is used in multiple models and you will notice that the horsepower ratings are all over the place. They are tweeked using electronic and mechanical means.

This tactic is also used so that the 2014 with the same motor can be tweeked to higher HP than the previous year model. Motorcycle manufacturers are also notorious for this tactic. "I want the NEW model...it has 12 more Horsepower!".

The 200 to 500 HP example is true, but when the HP differences are in the 150HP range, many vehicles have no problem handling the extra torque. Manufacturers usually, want to limit the number of different drivetrain components for sake of efficiency.

I would post in a Porsche Forum...they will be all over you with suggestions and urging to do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Having built a couple of engines (all american small and big blocks) I can offer only that although the same short block platform my be used in several engine build, it is not at all a "cake walk" to assemble a facsimile of the engine you are describing (by just slapping on a turbo).

You have to look at the sum of the components and how they make or rob power. The obvious first step is to look at air, fuel and spark, so make sure you have the throttle body, intake, heads which will flow, the injectors/carburator to deliver the fuel, and the proper electronics to match. Once you have all the basic components then tune and tune and tune...... to get the peak efficiency of the components you are putting together. Then swap a component left and right and keep testing and tuning AND THEN look at the drivetrain to make sure it will handle the power.

I am with the recommendation of sell the Cayenne and buy the Turbo S... don't try and reinvent the wheel

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Sure, You can make it into a Turbo S, but it's always cheaper to just sell it and buy a Turbo S. It's really only worth the cost to properly build a car if you're building something the factory never made, never sold in your market, or never made in sufficient quantities.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the others. Sell your current Porsche and buy the one with the engine setup you want.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Where is George Brown when we need him?

I was thinking the very same.

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast