autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Baggie Test Question

I have never done the recommended baggie test just always clayed as a standard procedure when correcting paint or wanting to start fresh. All the info on this says to perform on horizon panels. I was wondering why not on a vertical panel like a quarter panel or door behind the wheels. I know fall out and such is more likely to be on a place like the hood and roof. What if it is smooth? Couldn't there still be contaminates from the wheels, or in that case just a product like Iron-X should just be used no matter what the baggie test yields?
    Detailing is a way of life, not a hobby!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Baggie Test Question

The baggie test IMO can be used on any panel you suspect to have above surface contaminates. The results of a baggie test only indicate if a panel needs clayed or not. Iron-X is for below surface contaminates . Claying shears off above surface contaminates. Iron-X attacks iron particles.Hope this clears the subject a little for you.

Post Thanks / Like

The baggie test can be performed on any part of the vehicles that means from the glass down to the wheels though horizontal panels are more likely to have contamination embedded even if feels smooth also iron x deep cleans the surface while clay barring shave(in a sense)the surface

Post Thanks / Like
    I would suggest you try it by claying a small area of a hood and comparing that with an un-clayed area of a hood. When done, ask yourself if you would like that embedded in your pads while you polish.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback. I under stand the importance and use of each product. I was just wondering why info given just mentions horizontal panels and not doing one horizon and one vertical.

Post Thanks / Like

Another benefit to using the baggy is to determine whether or not the clay you are using is aggressive enough. Sure you can do vertical panels also, easy way to determine if you need to clay or even use a tar remover it can be very hard to see sometimes on dark paint. The only problem with Iron X and whether or not you need to use it is to use it. As Paul said, its for below surface contamination and the only way to know if you have any is to spray it and see if it turns red or not. Chances are though if it has never been used on the car then it probably has contamination. IMO you should never clay just to clay. Use the baggy and let it tell you what you need to do, there are better and easier ways to start clean if clay isn't needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rzatch View Post
    IMO you should never clay just to clay. Use the baggy and let it tell you what you need to do, there are better and easier ways to start clean if clay isn't needed.
    Thanks, well that is one thing I have learned lurking. Some of the cars I have done I probably just did unnecessary work to just because I had previously heard to always clay before any polish or wax even though correction was not needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TuxedoTaurus View Post
    Thanks, well that is one thing I have learned lurking. Some of the cars I have done I probably just did unnecessary work to just because I had previously heard to always clay before any polish or wax even though correction was not needed.
    I agree with this. I use it to determine if I need to clay my own vehicles.