autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Multiple questions concerning my 1st spring detailing

I know most topics tend to stick to a single question, but please forgive me. Here is the situaltion my wife's 2011 white Toyota Camry has some pretty decent swirls and scratches from her washing with a dirty wash mitt (I know I know, she is really pretty though). I also just bought a 2014 white Toyota Tundra that has some nice dealer installed swirls. My understanding is that both of them are single stage paints from Toyota. Camry is worse than the Tundra, but when both vehicles are freshly washed 99% of people would say they look amazing. You have to really catch the sun right to see the scratches and in my garage even with halogen lights I can't always pick them up. Funny thing is they show up best I noticed at night when parked around a street lamp. So to sum up they are hard to detect, but given the right conditions they are ALL over every panel. My arsenal includes a makita and porter cable machines, decent array of LC pads including spot buffs, M105/M205, Pinnacle 360, and Presta Quick Wax. As of right now I've washed and clayed (nonoskin mitt) the Camry and used the Pinnacle 360 w/ a green pad. Paint has a nice reflection and shine in garage but take it out to sun and it didn't even touch the majority of the swirls. So on to the questions.

• What pad/product combo should I try now on the Camry and how the hell can I see if its working when the swirls are so damn hard to see on the white?
    • Let's assume I get rid of the swirls, do I follow up with the 360 again or do I need to buy a sealant with no polishing properties?
    • Ideas on pad/product combo I should try on the Tundra and same thing as Camry on how to determine if I'm actually doing it correctly when I can't see the swirls as I work?
    • Last question is how do you guys do such a good job on your actual vehicles given the time? What I mean is say I wash Fri after work, clay it, tape everything off, etc. and then Saturday I devote to polishing/waxing. I'm consistently running out of time to do it correctly and do a thourough job. Sunday's are a no-no for me working and I've got to drive the vehicle to work on Monday. Any help/tips to help me is great. I'm truly in awe at the resutls people post on this forum.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Multiple questions concerning my 1st spring detailing

Quote Originally Posted by dlowry81 View Post

• What pad/product combo should I try now on the Camry and how the hell can I see if its working when the swirls are so damn hard to see on the white?

I would use the pc and as far as pad/product start with the least aggressive so like 205 on a white flat/ccs, or a orange hydro. Then try 205 on a orange flat/ccs or a hydro and if that doesnt work step to the 105 on the orange flat/ccs, or a cyan hyrdo. If you have to use 105 I always follow with 205.
    I had this problem with my white camaro. I bought a simple worklight that shined over my shoulder as I worked. Since i've upgraded to the flex swirl finder light and an led worklight that I made. That should do that trick for spotting them.

• Let's assume I get rid of the swirls, do I follow up with the 360 again or do I need to buy a sealant with no polishing properties?

I personally use blackfire wet diamond, now know as the bf all finish paint protection. It last anywere from 3-6 months. I usually top that with midnight sun.

• Ideas on pad/product combo I should try on the Tundra and same thing as Camry on how to determine if I'm actually doing it correctly when I can't see the swirls as I work?

You could try the megs mf pads and step it. I've been having problems with this I cant get results im happy with using 205 one stepping. Im looking for a new combo. About to make a thread about it actually

• Last question is how do you guys do such a good job on your actual vehicles given the time? What I mean is say I wash Fri after work, clay it, tape everything off, etc. and then Saturday I devote to polishing/waxing. I'm consistently running out of time to do it correctly and do a thourough job. Sunday's are a no-no for me working and I've got to drive the vehicle to work on Monday. Any help/tips to help me is great. I'm truly in awe at the resutls people post on this forum.

As far as time it depends if you one step or two, and how fast and efficient you can be. I have 2 stepped a vehicle in a day due to customers needs. Granted it was an 18 hour day and all i had to do was clay and go. But he has since been back with a few vehicles.
    Hope this helps

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. It just gets frustrating spending hours thinking I'm duplicating the videos I've seen but still seeing bad results. Really hard when I can't see the swirls as I work. I'll try your light tip. Last thing I struggle with is contours. All the how to's show nice flat panels. I don't think either of my vehicles has a 2x2 flat spot

Post Thanks / Like

Last thing I struggle with is contours. All the how to's show nice flat panels. I don't think either of my vehicles has a 2x2 flat spot
    I've thought this a million times as well, I want some videos of how to get all the tough spots.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. It just gets frustrating spending hours thinking I'm duplicating the videos I've seen but still seeing bad results. Really hard when I can't see the swirls as I work. I'll try your light tip. Last thing I struggle with is contours. All the how to's show nice flat panels. I don't think either of my vehicles has a 2x2 flat spot
    Im not a pro at this at all, I correct about 5 vehicles a year plus mine. I've found you have to figure out what works for you, but maintain the good principles and techniques that the videos show. My truck has alot of curves and subtle edges. Sometimes you cant work a 2x2 area. You have to work what the body lines give you in those instances. Spot buff pads help a lot with this. You have to know what you can do and what you cant.

Ill find that light thread and post it up here for you!