autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Paint correction process question?

So tomorrow i have a long day ahead of me. Its going to be my first time applying a paint coating so im using my 09 Ram as a test subject. Prior to the paint coating im doing a paint correction but here is the problem.

Ever since Carson City Dodge washed my truck with what appeared to be steel wool i have yet to remove all the scratches they have inflicted into the paint. Ive removed about 90% of them but here and there when im washing my truck ill notice a scratch. They arent deep or any thing though. Mind you after i got my truck back from the dealership it was COMPLETELY covered in scratches and i mean every square cm was scratched. My truck is black also. Any way Ive corrected the paint at least 3 times ive slowed my arm speed and decreased my work area so im confident its not my technique. I think that my clear coat is just hard as nails.

So when i ordered my CQUK i decided to pick up a MF cutting pad as well in hopes to add more cut and get rid of these random scratches once and for all. But here is where my question comes. I didnt buy any compound. It completely slipped my mind. The products i do have are WG TSR 3.0, megs UC, megs UP, WG glaze, megs #9 and i think thats about it as far as compounds / polishes go. Now for pads i have a LC flat (orange & black ) and a carpro MF cutting pad.

Should i go in this order:

Carpro MF with UC
    LC orange UP
    LC black WG TSR

Or should i run down to the local auto parts store and pick up something more aggressive or more fine from the megs pro line?

Thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint correction process question?

Auto Zone usually carries M105 and M205 which offer great cut and polish abilities when teamed together with the pads you already have. I believe M205 is similar to UP so I would skip that one. Get a bottle of M105 and go to town carefully of course. May have to wet sand to get the deep ones out do you have a paint depth gauge? You should check to see how much clear cot you have to work with...

Post Thanks / Like

So carpro MF with 105, LC orange with UP and then LC black with WG TSR?

Post Thanks / Like

The 105 will give you better cut than the UC. With a MF cutting pad you should be able to get them out.

Post Thanks / Like

Alright ill head down tomorrow morning and pick some up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Excited to see the results of both the correction and the coating!

Sent from my Windows Phone Nokia Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I scrubbed the tires and polished the rims, scrubbed the wheel wells, cleaned and dressed the engine, removed dressing from all the trim, removed bug guts from the grille ( first time ever going at the tiny spots with apc a paint brush and tooth picks) and washed half the truck (currently taking a smoke break lol) I'm going to finish washing then depending on how I feel I might clay today. If not today then early tomorrow followed by paint correction and coating. I'm so eager to post this full detail, paint correction and coating in the show and shine section haha

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

looking forward to it

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome . Just stopped for today I'm going to clay and correct tomorrow. I'm on only 3 hours of sleep because my girlfriend decided to throw an ass chewing party for me at 1am last night and didn't stop till 6am... So I'm wiped out and surprised I even worked on it at all lol. I'm going to try to add the coating tomorrow as well it just depends on how long it takes to correct the paint.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AG Online

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brondondolon View Post
    So tomorrow i have a long day ahead of me. Its going to be my first time applying a paint coating so im using my 09 Ram as a test subject. Prior to the paint coating im doing a paint correction but here is the problem.

Ever since Carson City Dodge washed my truck with what appeared to be steel wool i have yet to remove all the scratches they have inflicted into the paint. Ive removed about 90% of them but here and there when im washing my truck ill notice a scratch. They arent deep or any thing though. Mind you after i got my truck back from the dealership it was COMPLETELY covered in scratches and i mean every square cm was scratched. My truck is black also. Any way Ive corrected the paint at least 3 times ive slowed my arm speed and decreased my work area so im confident its not my technique. I think that my clear coat is just hard as nails.

So when i ordered my CQUK i decided to pick up a MF cutting pad as well in hopes to add more cut and get rid of these random scratches once and for all. But here is where my question comes. I didnt buy any compound. It completely slipped my mind. The products i do have are WG TSR 3.0, megs UC, megs UP, WG glaze, megs #9 and i think thats about it as far as compounds / polishes go. Now for pads i have a LC flat (orange & black ) and a carpro MF cutting pad.

Should i go in this order:

Carpro MF with UC
    LC orange UP
    LC black WG TSR

Or should i run down to the local auto parts store and pick up something more aggressive or more fine from the megs pro line?

Thanks guys
    Try a stronger cutting pad. I try to stay away from heavy compounding. But when all else fails a good ol' wool pad n some decnt compound should take care of that, I only wet sand when I ABSOLUTELY have to.

Sent from my EVO using AG Online

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast