autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does ONR alter the LSP?

Subscribing

Post Thanks / Like

I have used ONR on a wide variety of products and not noticed any problems. However, I guess it is possible ONR and something like the Sonax are not compatible. Not used any of these fancy products to be able to give an answer based upon experience. Maybe the best solution would be to split a panel and wash with a traditional shampoo in one section and ONR (or similar) in the other. Only other thing I can think of is to ask on the Optimum forums

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by nubaseal View Post

Hi Mike,

I have been doing rinse less and water less washes for a long time without any problems. I use ONR, UWW+, CG HFE, DG RW etc.

However, lately I have started using the nano sealants and coating that are extremely hydrophobic, they repel water and dirt to a great extent and keep the car cleaner, for longer.

I am unsure if using products like ONR on these LSPs will degrade their performance.

While I am aware that the protection/polymers from ONR don't last longer than a day or two after a wash, it could still defeat the purpose of having a LSP that is ahead of ONR in water behavior and self cleaning ability.

Does this mean that I need to go back to the 2BM wash with a traditional shampoo?

I really like ONR/UWW as they save me a lot of time and effort. The LSPs I am referring to include Sonax Polymer Netshield, Sonax Nano Paint Protect, Sonax NanoTechnology Liquid Wax, Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer and CQuartz.

Great question nubaseal...

One of my key strengths when it comes to discussion forums includes,

1. Remembering things said.
    2. Who said them.
    3. And how to find them.

Discussion forums are POWERFUL SOURCES of INFORMATION

The key is finding the information. If the information cannot be drudged up then it's as good as not existing. Lucky for you, I remember all the little tidbits of info posted to forums, this forum and others. I might not be able to remember what I ate for lunch yesterday but my mind remembers and locks in information related to all things detailing.

So to your questions and musings, I remember a coating expert chimed in on just this topic, so instead of me answering your question, I've cyber-dug up the information from a car detailing project we did here at Autogeek where the lead chemist from GTechniq answers your questions.

From this thread,

Video & Pictures: 1965 Fastback Mustang - GTechniq EXO Show Car Makeover!

And this car project,

Here's what Rob had to say....

Quote Originally Posted by gtechrob View Post

just a quick note about after care - use of quick detailers/waterless washes etc.

EXO is fine with these. The only thing I would point out is that all of these products are putting something on the finish so that the surface characteristics of water repellency, feel etc. will be from this and not the EXO underneath.

My personal preference is to wash EXO using a pure high quality shampoo such as G-Wash, this way you get the maximum durability from the organic layer and benefit from the great water and dirt repellency of EXO.

If you do want to use a qd type product, GTechniq C1.5 Silo Seal would be a great choice as it has excellent surface functionality.

HTH!

So if we remove the brand specific recommendation, not because I don't like GTechniq products because I do, but to un-box his insight in a way that applies to ANYONE reading this into the future using ANY bona-fide coating here's my take on what Rob posted.

I think Rob is saying is that by using any waterless wash, rinseless wash and spray detailers, and I'll go out on a limb here and include any car washes that also include a wax/glossing agents, that any of these that leave something behind on the surface will mask the or cover up the properties offered by the coating and now you'll get the properties or characteristics of whatever it is you used.

Further, since coatings are supposed to NOT be affected by a quality simple car wash, not a wash and wax type car wash), that the best way to maintain the coating you've applied AND get the properties and characteristics of the coating then the best way to do this is to only wash using simple, straightforward car wash soaps.

How does that sound? Make sense?

My take on this means that your take is correct and to get the best performance out of the coatings you're using then quit using the waterless/rinseless washes and go back to the two-bucket method you mentioned.

I would also add that to truly take care of any finish that has been polished to a high degree and then coated you would also want to wash it the way I describe in my how-to book in the car washing section that talks about the two different approaches to washing a car and use what I call the Gentle Approach.

Don't know if the above helps or if that's what you wanted to hear but there you go....

Post Thanks / Like
    IME UWW+ doesn't affect beading or affects it in a positive way. Of course, the real trick is to wipe down with Sonax BSD after if you want super beads. ONR can negatively affect beading IMHO.

However, I also use the Pinnacle waterless and rinseless and they seem to do OK as well. Basically, don't overthink it. ONR won't mess up your wax or coating.

But, I like the other products listed BETTER than ONR.

Super Member Scott@IncrediblyDetailed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a podcast by Larry at AMMO NYC with Jason Rose on a similar topic.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.