autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: carpet & uphostery cleaning

Soak the Coke stain with Folex and see if it will break it down at all. Do you have access to a steamer? If not, soak a microfiber towel is very hot water and let it sit on the Coke for a while. That should soften it up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by powwowron View Post
    Hi all, Thanks for all the info and advice. I fogot to mention in my initial post that the coke "stain" in the rear carpet is "hard" like whomever spilled it never even tried to soak ANY of it up or get rid of it. I don't know if they weren't told about it when it happened or didn't want to mess with it or what, but the carpet is "hard". The driver's seat I can try the Folex or the Fabric Clean on BUT I wonder how they will work on the "hard" coke stain in the rear carpet. Thanks again, Ron.

I hate to tell you but if it's hard it's more than likely not all going to come out. Coke is nasty stuff. You'll need something to extract it.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by powwowron View Post

Hi all, Thanks for all the info and advice. I forgot to mention in my initial post that the coke "stain" in the rear carpet is "hard" like whomever spilled it never even tried to soak ANY of it up or get rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by WillWashesCars View Post

soak a microfiber towel is very hot water and let it sit on the Coke for a while.

That should soften it up.
    Or a terry cloth hand towel. Soak either in water dill they are completely drenched, squeeze out just enough that it's not ridiculously wet then place it over the stained area.

If the towel is larger than the stained area fold it to create a thick, wet towel sitting over the stained carpet fibers.

Let this set for about 20 - 30 minutes.

Then remove the towel and inspect. Ring out all the excess water from the towel and then use the towel to scrub the stained area. See if this starts to remove the stain.

If not, replace the towel folded flat over the area and get a clothes Iron.

Turn the Iron to the steam setting but not the highest setting. The highest setting is usually for cotton which by nature won't melt. Auto fabrics are acrylic a type of plastic and too hot of an Iron setting could deform the carpet IF you leave the iron in one place for too long.

Begin ironing the towel. The steam coming out of the iron will penetrate past the towel and into the carpet and the hot moist steam my do the trick.

The set the iron aside and go back to scrubbing with the wet towel or a different wet towel. If this working, repeat till your happy and then use a dry towel to scrub the area and draw out as much water as possible. Blot the area by pushing a dry towel INTO the carpet and holding it there for about a minute to give the water/coke residue TIME to travel via capillary action from the carpet fibers into the cotton fibers of the towel.

When you've done the best you can working with the towel place a box fan in the area for an hour or so and the air flow will finish the drying job.

Or take it to an established detail shop and for about 30.00 to $40.00 they will extract the stain or tell you it's past the point of no return.

Other options...

Replace the carpet with new carpet. Visit an auto upholstery shop.

Replace the carpet with an UN-stained carpet from a similar car from a salvage yard. I've been into hundreds of salvage yards and often times rear carpeting is either trashed or there's nothing wrong with it at all and you can get it for pennies on the dollar. Then clean it and install it.

Mike Phillips

Here's another option...

Cover it with a WeatherTech mat

WeatherTech Automotive Accessories

Problem gone...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    You could try chopping it up with a credit card
    NOT saying I did anything like that in my youth BUT if I did I'm LONG past that now. Cute suggestion though.
    I had thought about using hot water on it and seeing if that would work since I don't have anything to generate steam. Thanks, Ron.

Post Thanks / Like

Like others have said, I love Folex. Works really well for me if I scrub with a terry cloth towel. As for the stiff carpet, I have no experience with any of that so I can't really recommend any ideas.
    2014 Mercedes-Benz C250

Post Thanks / Like

Coke stain---because of the sugar content the only thing that will break it down is HOT WATER.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12