autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Issues show more when cars cleaned

This has been showing up on my car a lot. Mostly after I wash it, it's around the tire wells and lower quarter panels. It's a lot of scratches probably from buffing. Maybe somebody could recommend a technique to help remove the ones around tire wells. The only other issue is that on some spots on my lower quarter panel after washing it looks like it has a haze like when Polish drys. I'll post some pictures up, and the car has fresh paint that is about four months ago. So I m due to actually put some wax on it since it's a daily driver.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Issues show more when cars cleaned-image-jpg  

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Issues show more when cars cleaned

Here's a picture of the haze. If I rub it with my finger it goes away but comes back after I wash it. My paint just looks so "dry" in some spots and I want it to look "deep" and "wet"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Issues show more when cars cleaned-image-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

What did you buff the car with,machine, pads, polish?

Post Thanks / Like
    Something ain't right. It has to be there all the time to show up after you wash it. It's likely just not as noticeable with a little bit of road dust on it. I would IronX the area (or car), clay, then polish it. It's likely just marring - but hard to tell in a photo.

Depending on the trajectory, some cars can get marring around the wheel wells from junk in the road getting thrown up from the tires. The area can get a "sand blasted" effect. Or, dirt can stick there causing washed induced marring one can only avoid by the most careful of washing techniques on a black car.

A lot of sports cars come from the factory with a PPF film on the rear flared fender area to avoid rock chips. They also sell these films aftermarket as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks like nothing more than stubborn road grime to me. Have you tried re washing the area? Or iron x like swanic mentioned?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I previously buffed the car with 3m products to cut the orange peel. The spots have a lot of fine scratches. The spots are there all the time, but show more when the car is cleaned. I do know the whole car has some fine swirls because I haven't done the really fine polishing. I know I put some body shop safe 3m dealer on it and it masks it, but once I wash it it's back. The places are not in an area to get a lot of road debris and the car doesn't get driven far either.

I remember that I did rebuff the areas and it got rid of it but after the wash it's rite back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeselky85 View Post
    I previously buffed the car with 3m products to cut the orange peel. The spots have a lot of fine scratches. The spots are there all the time, but show more when the car is cleaned. I do know the whole car has some fine swirls because I haven't done the really fine polishing. I know I put some body shop safe 3m dealer on it and it masks it, but once I wash it it's back. The places are not in an area to get a lot of road debris and the car doesn't get driven far either.

I remember that I did rebuff the areas and it got rid of it but after the wash it's rite back.
    Your compound more than likely has fillers in it that mask the fact that the area isn't fully corrected until they wear off or the car is washed. Sounds like you need to fully correct (machine polish) the area and you should be all set. What are you using for a buffing machine? Also what are you using for a compound or polish?

You'll never be able to simply "cut" through orange peel with a buffer and some compound! You first need to know the thickness of the CC over your paint to know if it is safe to wet sand the surface smooth without causing premature CC failure. From there you can start with compounding and finish out with polish.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I just have a harbor freight buffer. I don't have resources to spend on an expensive buffer. I know there is enough clear in the car because I did all the paint myself. I wet sanded all clear coat issues with 1000,1500 and 2000 then buffed. I am using 3m compounds since that is what I'm familiar with. I am more knowledged in body work and paint then I am in detail work. I never got the finish I wanted a few days after buffing (once I washed it) i noticed those spots and some scratches fine scratches I have to get out. Don't get me wrong. The whole car is almost flawless and these spots just stand out like a sore thumb to me

Here's a picture of the car with no editing. But up close and in person it has a few spots

Post Thanks / Like

I used 3M products for many years and loved most of their products.
    Many get good results with the HF buffer so don't let that get you down.
    Keep us updated.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeselky85 View Post
    I just have a harbor freight buffer. I don't have resources to spend on an expensive buffer. I know there is enough clear in the car because I did all the paint myself. I wet sanded all clear coat issues with 1000,1500 and 2000 then buffed. I am using 3m compounds since that is what I'm familiar with. I am more knowledged in body work and paint then I am in detail work. I never got the finish I wanted a few days after buffing (once I washed it) i noticed those spots and some scratches fine scratches I have to get out. Don't get me wrong. The whole car is almost flawless and these spots just stand out like a sore thumb to me

Here's a picture of the car with no editing. But up close and in person it has a few spots