autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What Machine, and which products for a 1st time full detail/correction on new CTSV

I love me some V, was my first pick until I realized I didn't fit in one! TSR is an outstanding product, go with the hydro tech tangerine to start like ^^ said. I believe GM's are notorious for HARD paint so you may need to drop down to cyan to get more cut. Its just ME, and probably many other people out there, but I would go with a GG unit not the PC.
    My process would be wash, and decon, either with nanoskin products or old school clay. I would get the TSR combo, 8 oz pack is more than enough. You can get a free trial of the WGDGPS with your order. I would get hyrdro tech pads, the 5 pad set should last you a long time if your just doing your car.

GG unit:
    Griots Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher

TSR Combo:
    Wolfgang 8 oz. Swirl Remover Combo, Wolfgang polishes, total swirl remover, finishing glaze, machine glaze

Free sealant, BTW, a LITTLE goes a LONG way.
    Free Sample with your Order

Hydrotech 5 pack of pads:
    Lake Country Hydro-Tech Essentials Pad Kit

Many different clay choices out there.

With 15% off and free shipping now is the time!!
    Just realized I posted 5.5" pads, so if you go that route get the backing plate. The 5.5" pads are thin profile, better for the GG unit.

Mike Phillips

Re: What Machine, and which products for a 1st time full detail/correction on new CTSV

Quote Originally Posted by steveiguess View Post

Thank you for your reply. I am assuming that most of those products can take care of numerous issues.

Yes.

Here's a write-up I did recently for a car I buffed out that came in completely swirled-out and filled with water spots. I used the Wolfgang Uber Compound with the Rupes Duetto Prototype before the Rupes Duetto was introduced publicly.

You can use the same Wolfgang Uber Compound followed by the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze, (which is a fine cut polish despite the word "glaze" in the name), and then seal with a wax, sealant or coating.

Look through this thread as I documented very well the before, during and after results with pictures.

Lady in Red - 1986 Porsche - 4-Step Process

Results from Wolfgang Uber Compound

I took these shots after compounding with Uber Compound and BEFORE machine polishing with the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze. To me the paint looked ready to wax...

I like the Porter Cable with 5.5" LC Flat pads, a lot of guys prefer the Griot's Garage version of the Porter Cable as it does have more power. Both will get the job done as long as you stay with 5.5" thin foam pads.

In my how-to book I recommend for people brand new to machine polishing to go with the 5.5" Lake Country Flat pads and they are pretty much Bubba-proof and because they are open cell they offer better/more tensile strength so they will last longer and because they are open cell they will wash and rinse easier for re-use.

No matter which dual action polisher you buy none of them come with a 5" backing plate so I cover this in my how-to book and also in this article.

5 inch Backing Plates on Meguiar's, Griot's and Porter Cable DA Polishers

Here's some pictures showing the size of different backing plates on the popular Meguiar's Griot's and Porter Cable DA Polishers.

The Griot's and Meguiar's DA Polishers come with 6" backing plates and the Porter Cable by itself does not come with a backing plate.

If you want to use 5.5" foam pads on any of these tools you'll need to remember to order a separate backing plate when your order your polishers.

From left to right...

Factory Griot's 6" BP, Lake Country 5" BP, Meguiar's 5" BP and 5" Black Heavy Duty BP

The above is just a portion of the article, I include links to the store for whatever you decide to go with in all my articles just to note.

In my how-to book I also cover hook-n-loop designs, the jist of that conversation is to choose a backing plate made by the company you're going to buy foam pads from so the hook matches the loop.

So if you go with Lake Country pads then get a Lake Country backing plate.

Hope the above helps and welcome to the forum... nice Caddy...

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the reply. Looks like I may be going with that kit. Now I am trying to decide if I want the fuzion wax or the pinnacle sovern carnuba. lol. Too many choices. I used to just use the gold class McGuires and I always like how that turned out.
    The Souveran is more of a show car wax while Fuzion is a Hybrid of Carnauba and Polymers that should last longer.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by parttimer View Post
    I love me some V, was my first pick until I realized I didn't fit in one! TSR is an outstanding product, go with the hydro tech tangerine to start like ^^ said. I believe GM's are notorious for HARD paint so you may need to drop down to cyan to get more cut. Its just ME, and probably many other people out there, but I would go with a GG unit not the PC.
    My process would be wash, and decon, either with nanoskin products or old school clay. I would get the TSR combo, 8 oz pack is more than enough. You can get a free trial of the WGDGPS with your order. I would get hyrdro tech pads, the 5 pad set should last you a long time if your just doing your car.

GG unit:
    Griots Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher

TSR Combo:
    Wolfgang 8 oz. Swirl Remover Combo, Wolfgang polishes, total swirl remover, finishing glaze, machine glaze

Free sealant, BTW, a LITTLE goes a LONG way.
    Free Sample with your Order

Hydrotech 5 pack of pads:
    Lake Country Hydro-Tech Essentials Pad Kit

Many different clay choices out there.

With 15% off and free shipping now is the time!!
    Just realized I posted 5.5" pads, so if you go that route get the backing plate. The 5.5" pads are thin profile, better for the GG unit.
    Thank you for your reply. I will be pulling the trigger today, just trying to figure out the best route to go. By hard paint, you essentially mean that it is harder to remove imperfections from the car?

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your reply. I will be pulling the trigger today, just trying to figure out the best route to go. By hard paint, you essentially mean that it is harder to remove imperfections from the car?
    Caddies have harder Clear Coat than most, yes that means they take more work to correct.

So you might have to use a more aggressive product pad combo in the correction stage... Like the Uber Compound/Cyan Pad..

The test spot will tell you where to start...

I would go with Uber Compound and the Tangerine pad 1st in the test spot, then move to the Cyan Pad if needed.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jankerson View Post
    Caddies have harder Clear Coat than most, yes that means they take more work to correct.

So you might have to use a more aggressive product pad combo in the correction stage... Like the Uber Compound/Cyan Pad..

The test spot will tell you where to start...

I would go with Uber Compound and the Tangerine pad 1st in the test spot, then move to the Cyan Pad if needed.
    Thank you for all your help. I really do appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all your help. I really do appreciate it.
    That's why we are here, to help.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool username..assuming you couldn't think of one? lol

Beautiful car! I detailed a 2011 cts-v last year. I used Sonax perfect finish on a white polishing pad to remove small swirls, and topped it with a Black Fire Wet Diamond sealant using a black finishing pad. Car came out great!

Owner at Clean N' Shiny Auto Detailing Inc.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Yes.

Here's a write-up I did recently for a car I buffed out that came in completely swirled-out and filled with water spots. I used the Wolfgang Uber Compound with the Rupes Duetto Prototype before the Rupes Duetto was introduced publicly.

You can use the same Wolfgang Uber Compound followed by the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze, (which is a fine cut polish despite the word "glaze" in the name), and then seal with a wax, sealant or coating.

Look through this thread as I documented very well the before, during and after results with pictures.

Lady in Red - 1986 Porsche - 4-Step Process

Results from Wolfgang Uber Compound

I took these shots after compounding with Uber Compound and BEFORE machine polishing with the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze. To me the paint looked ready to wax...

I like the Porter Cable with 5.5" LC Flat pads, a lot of guys prefer the Griot's Garage version of the Porter Cable as it does have more power. Both will get the job done as long as you stay with 5.5" thin foam pads.

In my how-to book I recommend for people brand new to machine polishing to go with the 5.5" Lake Country Flat pads and they are pretty much Bubba-proof and because they are open cell they offer better/more tensile strength so they will last longer and because they are open cell they will wash and rinse easier for re-use.

No matter which dual action polisher you buy none of them come with a 5" backing plate so I cover this in my how-to book and also in this article.

5 inch Backing Plates on Meguiar's, Griot's and Porter Cable DA Polishers

Here's some pictures showing the size of different backing plates on the popular Meguiar's Griot's and Porter Cable DA Polishers.

The Griot's and Meguiar's DA Polishers come with 6" backing plates and the Porter Cable by itself does not come with a backing plate.

If you want to use 5.5" foam pads on any of these tools you'll need to remember to order a separate backing plate when your order your polishers.

From left to right...

Factory Griot's 6" BP, Lake Country 5" BP, Meguiar's 5" BP and 5" Black Heavy Duty BP

The above is just a portion of the article, I include links to the store for whatever you decide to go with in all my articles just to note.

In my how-to book I also cover hook-n-loop designs, the jist of that conversation is to choose a backing plate made by the company you're going to buy foam pads from so the hook matches the loop.

So if you go with Lake Country pads then get a Lake Country backing plate.

Hope the above helps and welcome to the forum... nice Caddy...

Thank you sir. It looks like I am going to go with the following. Would you recommend piecing something else together since I am new to the machine polishing? (changing the pads as you previously recommended (bubba proof?) .

Is there added risk using pads such as those included with this kit? I want to be as safe as possible while doing this, to ensure I dont screw the car up lol

Wolfgang Porter Cable 7424xp Ultimate Polishing Kit

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GenesisCoupe View Post
    Cool username..assuming you couldn't think of one? lol

Beautiful car! I detailed a 2011 cts-v last year. I used Sonax perfect finish on a white polishing pad to remove small swirls, and topped it with a Black Fire Wet Diamond sealant using a black finishing pad. Car came out great!
    I was looking at the black fire stuff it looks pretty cool. Thanks for the comment, I have had this s/n for the past 10 years lol.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast