autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

First minor chip on new car -what to do?

4 month old dark navy blue 2013 Prius. It had been polished with Pinnacle polish & waxed a few month ago with a DA polisher & Pinnacle Souveran paste wax, the car look fantastic, I keep it up every week with a wax & spray with pinnacle 360 spray wax. I noticed a couple tiny chips on the hood today, probably from a pebble or two, took the old touch up paint out and basically dropped a tiny drop of paint on to the very minor chips using a toothpick. now the area is a tad higher than my normal hood paint, what can I use to just somoth it out a little, it does not have to look perfect as the car will get more in time, just a little better would be great. I have some Pinnacle advance swirl remover, would that work as a very minor abrasive to polish it down a bit? I also have Pinnacle advance polish as well. Maybe something I could buy a the local store, does Meguiars make anything that is safe on clear coat to polish it out a bit. Any help would be great- thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First minor chip on new car -what to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Equalizr View Post
    4 month old dark navy blue 2013 Prius. It had been polished with Pinnacle polish & waxed a few month ago with a DA polisher & Pinnacle Souveran paste wax, the car look fantastic, I keep it up every week with a wax & spray with pinnacle 360 spray wax. I noticed a couple tiny chips on the hood today, probably from a pebble or two, took the old touch up paint out and basically dropped a tiny drop of paint on to the very minor chips using a toothpick. now the area is a tad higher than my normal hood paint, what can I use to just somoth it out a little, it does not have to look perfect as the car will get more in time, just a little better would be great. I have some Pinnacle advance swirl remover, would that work as a very minor abrasive to polish it down a bit? I also have Pinnacle advance polish as well. Maybe something I could buy a the local store, does Meguiars make anything that is safe on clear coat to polish it out a bit. Any help would be great- thanks guys
    Next time do it in very thin layers over time as it will shrink as it dries. Any polish that would level the touch up paint would be far too aggressive for the surrounding area. You can get a hole puncher and punch out some different grit sand paper and glue them to a pencil eraser and lightly level out the high spot and polish out the area. If I were you, I would just live with it.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

good idea, less is more. I will probably just live with it, I'm sure it will wear down a little over time, with washing & waxing.

Post Thanks / Like

You say "took the old touch up paint"? But the car is only 4 moths old?
    I assume you meant to say "took the factory touch up paint", correct?

How was the color match of this paint, OK? Or ehhh?

If the color matches to your satisfaction, you could acquire a product like the Dr Colorchip Sealact Solution, and this will level the blob, albeit with a bit more rubbing that would be required with Dr Colorchip's own paint formulations.

This will level the blob, but won't harm your factory paint at all.

Problem is, AutoGeek does not list just the Sealact Solution on their site for purchase, you would have to go direct to Dr Colorchip's website, and/or acquire their phone number from their site, and call them.

Best to talk straight with them, tell them your intentions, and see what they say about using their solution on the factory touch up paint.
    Mark

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes new touch from Toyota, color is perfect, I will check out the site

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing that really helps me at least is using a Microbrush to apply the touch up paint. These are the same brushes (or at least very, very similar) that Griot's Garage sells in their touch up paint kit. I purchased mine (various sizes, but I prefer superfine) at a local hobby shop (10 for about $2.50), but you can also buy them online.
    2013 Honda Accord Touring - Crystal Black Pearl/Black

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

have to get some . is Dr Colorchip any good? worth buying, in the video they make it look so easy!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Equalizr View Post
    ...and basically dropped a tiny drop of paint on to the very minor chips using a toothpick. now the area is a tad higher than my normal hood paint, what can I use to just somoth it out a little?
    Rsurfer had a good recommendation. Another way is to purchase an $8 paint file. It's basically a square piece of woof with a metal file on the bottom. Works like a razor blade to gradually slice off only the high spot. Takes a few passes and your repair is flush.

Then take out your polisher with something like M205 and it will shine right up. Top with wax and you're done.

BTW if your handy with a razor blade you can do the same thing, it's just higher risk.
    Semper Fi
    Ralph