autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsvbGarageGalleryDetailing How To'sDetailing How ToFacebookTwitterYouTube

Go Back   Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum > Detailer's Library > Ask the Expert featuring Mike Phillips

Register FAQ Upload Photos Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

» Instagram

Old 01-02-2011, 11:19 AM   #1

How to Remove Light Scratches From Billit Aluminum.

I have 08 Mustang GT wheels on my car and they have light scratches I'm guessing from washing them. I have bought a buffing rouge from home depot but not sure if this is the way to go. What do you suggest is the best way to permanently remove these scratches?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!twitter
Old 01-02-2011, 01:51 PM   #2

Re: How to Remove Light Scratches From Billit Aluminum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrzk View Post
I have 08 Mustang GT wheels on my car and they have light scratches I'm guessing from washing them. I have bought a buffing rouge from home depot but not sure if this is the way to go. What do you suggest is the best way to permanently remove these scratches?
I've never purchased or used the rouge from Home Depot, and I assume that this is a 'red rouge'(rouge=red). Red Rouge compound, is considered to be in the Fine Finish Compound range, and it is normally used on brass, copper, gold, pewter, sterling or silver plate, nickel or chrome plate, and plastics like Baklite or Formica. Generally aluminum compounds start in the Coarse Compound range--Black Emery-- and go up the sprectrum from there in this order ---Brown Tripoli, White Diamond, ending with Blue All Purpose. Start with the least aggressive compound (sound familiar?) first, and change up to next level of aggressiveness, etc., until you are satisfied with desired results. (Note: If you want, give the red rouge from Home Depot a try--if you're not happy with the results,you can always go back to the Aliminum compound chart and have a "do over"). Seal/wax with your favorite aluminum dressing.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:53 PM   #3

If its true billet, uncoated, this is da bomb!

Wenol Blue Auto Metal Polish
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!twitter
Old 01-02-2011, 02:24 PM   #4

Are you sure they are not a coated wheel? I am thinking they have clear on then.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:15 PM   #5

Meguiars 105
Old 01-02-2011, 03:29 PM   #6

If the wheels are the original wheels that came on the car from the factory, they are clear coated and the coarse metal polishes you asked about will damage the finish.

If they are aftermarket polished aluminum wheels installed by either the dealer or yourself, it would be safe to use actual metal polish on them.

But as was said before. Start out with the mildest, least aggressive grade of polish and see if that gets the desired level of correction. Then if necessary you can go with the stronger polishes.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:58 PM   #7
Just call me Mr. Mom

How about some pix of the rims so you can get an accurate answer?

OE Mustang rims from 08 are cast aluminum, not billet, and are coated. If those are the rims you have, the rouge you bought is not the correct product to use.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrest@mothers View Post
How about some pix of the rims so you can get an accurate answer?

OE Mustang rims from 08 are cast aluminum, not billet, and are coated. If those are the rims you have, the rouge you bought is not the correct product to use.
Uncoated True Billet Aluminum v. Clear-Coated Cast Aluminum will determine proper product---True aluminum polishing compounds or products that contain such; or polishes intended for clear-coat paint!
Old 01-02-2011, 09:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
Meguiars 105
Never thought of this....you talking for clear coated wheels? Can't see it working on raw aluminum.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
Meguiars 105
I've tried that myself, and it didn't work at all.