autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Harbor freight pads

Your probably going to want to replace that backing plate anyway. A couple of my neighbors bought those machines and when they spun the plate on the machine it had a wobble to it. I would recommend a Lake Country 5 inch plate and 5.5 inch pads as someone else already mentioned.

Post Thanks / Like

You'll thank yourself for upgrading your plate and pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok...I just started looking at backing plates and pads in the store here.

Now my head is spinning ..so many options etc. Can someone help a total noob find a 5 inch backing plate and 2 each of polishing pads and finishing pads to ne used with Meguiars ultimate polish and utimate wax on a HF DA ?

Im no pro or ever plan to be, but when I do stuff I like to do it right.

By that I realize there are so many levels of expertise, I just want to take care of my cars and I think the Meguiars stuff is ok for DIYer.

I dont need top of the line stuff, just stuff that will work for ME. This wont be used but every few months. Thanks All, hard to comprehend all the knowledge here but I am little by little.

Side note....After reading here a few days its been a real eye opener.

Waxing cars is something most people neglect or dont really think about,
    Now I have a basic understanding of the difference between wax, sealant,cleaner wax, polish etc. And learned what claying does and how to do it. Thanks all again, Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MA5177 View Post

Now my head is spinning ..so many options etc. Can someone help a total noob find a 5 inch backing plate and 2 each of polishing pads and finishing pads to ne used with Meguiars ultimate polish and utimate wax on a HF DA ?

Im no pro or ever plan to be, but when I do stuff I like to do it right.

By that I realize there are so many levels of expertise, I just want to take care of my cars and I think the Meguiars stuff is ok for DIYer.

I dont need top of the line stuff, just stuff that will work for ME. This wont be used but every few months. Thanks All, hard to comprehend all the knowledge here but I am little by little.

Side note....After reading here a few days its been a real eye opener.

Waxing cars is something most people neglect or dont really think about,
    Now I have a basic understanding of the difference between wax, sealant,cleaner wax, polish etc. And learned what claying does and how to do it. Thanks all again, Mike
    Check out the Tangerine and Crimson Lake Country Hydrotech pads, and the White and Grey Buff and Shine pads.

I personally like the Hydrotech, and the Green, Blue, and Red Buff and Shine pads.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with many above. The black pad is ok for sealant application or cleansing polish, but not much else, they've lasted a while without falling apart. You can expect the other pads to shred pretty quickly.
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, yeah.

They are great. Top of the line stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MA5177 View Post

The Lake Country 5" backing plate will work great. Follow that up with a six-pack or two of the Lake Country 5.5" pads with a handful of white, a couple orange, and a couple black or blue and you'll be golden for any situation you'll encounter on your personal vehicle fleet.

All of those items can be found here in the AG store.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Or you might want to consider the new Megs THIN pads and their backing plate. Since the pads are thin it will make the polisher more effective. The maroon cutting pad has been getting great reviews -- cuts well, finishes great.

Meguiars 5 Inch DA Foam Discs

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post
    For a quick response, I have not heard good things about them here. I have not tried them though.

These are the best value here I believe, and what I have been using.

Lake Country 5 1/2 x 7/8 inch Beveled Edge Pads 6 Pack, foam pad kit, build a kit, buffing pads, curved edge pads
    +1 The 5.5" LC Flats are really durable, perform well, priced well and are overall just fantastic.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The harbor freight around me carry 8in speedy foam brand usa made pads. They are pretty good and seem to hold up fine. I have used a few in the past. Now i just use the 3M pads that go with there polish and they work great also. I have a hand full of different pads and the operator behind the pad has more to do with the finish than who made the pad if you are using the correct PPI for what you are trying to accomplish.

It seems so many people get cough up with what is the newest greatest exclusive polish, pads, ect. It is a wonder that anyone ever got perfect paint 20 years ago with there rocks in a bottle compound and wool pads(insert whatever sarcastic smiley you want here). Yes there are products that work great and easier than others but don't write a product off because it is not in vogue on some internet forum.

PS. I have heard great things about LC pads though and there about the same price i would just go with the LC. If you need to finish a car and your last finishing pad just fell apart go pick up one of the speedy foam ones and i don't think you will notice much difference.

PPS. There 3in ones are crap though they fall apart very quick.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast