autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Microfiber Cutting pads VS polishing/finishing pads, any difference?

as per title, besides the name given to the pads, is there any difference in the Microfiber between cutting pads and polishing finishing pads?

For some brands MF pads, they have 2-3 types of MF pads, mainly cutting, polishing, and finishing, but the fibers look and feel the same (differentiated by color or thickness of foam above the MF). FOr other brands, they are only 1 type of MF pads.

My question is, what exactly is the difference between microfiber cutting and polishing and finishing pads? Are the fibers different?

Or is it a one-size-fits-all theory?

I know for sure, for finishing and waxing, foam pad is the best.

Anyone? i tried searching AG, autopia, and most detailing forums, but most are comparing between foam vs MF, but no exact comparisons between the "different models" of a MF pad.

Sorry, this is my 1st post here, and hi to all the amazing detailers over here.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Microfiber Cutting pads VS polishing/finishing pads, any difference?

It depends on the manufacturers. Some use the exact same MF composition, but vary the foam pad thickness...others actually use different MF composition between cutting and finishing pads. Still others use a different combination of both MF composition and pad thickness. There are no standards as is with almost any detailing product.

No matter...I'd follow manufacturers recommend pads for either cutting or finishing.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

In the Rupes line, the difference lies in the type of microfiber, and the backing that the material is attached to.

The blue microfiber isn't as smooth as the yellow. The backing is also more rigid on the blue pad. These factors amplify their respective characteristics of their intended application. Some companies offer a pad with the microfiber removed entirely (Meguiar's, Griot's). The idea is that the less material between the backing plate, and the paint allows for maximum transfer of the machine's action, and thus maximum potential for removal of paint.

The Lake Country Ultra Fiber has only one pad for for random orbit machines - intended for both compounding and polishing

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I got menzarna power lock, menzarna fg400, Harbor freight DA polisher, clay bar, microfiber towels backing plate 5" to remove few of the scratches but as of now I still looking where to get Lake Country CCS orange and black pads. Probably I will get two of each. So I don't need entire collection of the colors and would be great if someone can direct me where to go?

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Lake Country 5.5 Inch CCS Pads 6 Pack - Your Choice!

CCS foam buffing pads,foam polishing pads,lake country foam pads,foam polisher pads,buffer pads,lake county pads,porter cable pads,pads for air sander

I have both the Optimum 3.25 microfiber cutting and polishing pads. The cutting one has a longer nap microfiber and possibly different foam in between.

Both cut and finish well with Opitmum Compound II and/or Polish II so far on hard Ford paint.