autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Exploding Pad

Regular Member David at LC Pads's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Exploding Pad

Quote Originally Posted by KB in MD View Post
    cool. That's what I was going to add as that's what I did and my pad did that too ok on a rotary but not a DA
    Quote Originally Posted by RegalOne View Post
    Thanks for the response David. I have a brush and additional pads and will be using them in future. You always have to learn with a new hobby. I appreciate all of the input and advice and next time pads won't be flying across the garage.
    Anytime

If you have any questions, please don't ever hesitate to shoot post or shoot us an email also.

Post Thanks / Like

I blame Gremlins. Maybe even the AMC version too. But definitely gremlins.

Post Thanks / Like

What size backing plate were you using? If it's too small, it will cause stress on the pad from being jerked back and forth leading to premature failure.
    Autogeek OG. Attended detail fest I/II. Still detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Baldone View Post
    I blame Gremlins. Maybe even the AMC version too. But definitely gremlins.
    Maybe, but if it was they had bow ties on LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ryandamartini View Post
    What size backing plate were you using? If it's too small, it will cause stress on the pad from being jerked back and forth leading to premature failure.
    It was the 6" backing plate that came with the GG when I bought it.

Post Thanks / Like

The blow out hole appears to be in the shape of a hexagon. Sabotage from hex logic?

In all seriousness, it looks to be in the rivet pattern found on top of the backing plate. If that's the case, it may have been the heat. Is the compression washer installed? Has the plate sustained any damage of it's own?

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

+1000 with the other replies.

At a bare minimum I'd say 4 pads to compound a vehicle, if not 6. Switching to polishing you can go to 3~4, but with compounding... the more the merrier.

@David w/Lake Country... THANK YOU!

I might add... in addition to what David and others have said, heat building up in the pad is (of course) caused by product and friction on the surface/in the pad. BUT... it is also caused in a major way by the Velcro at the BACK of the pad and the way it interfaces with the backing plate. Back there it has nowhere to go, and will get terribly hot.

When buffing your vehicle you should do 1 panel, (maybe even half a panel when talking about the hood/roof) and then pull the pad to check for heat. Put the BACK of the pad against your cheek, (not the front) and if it's more than just barely warm... get a new one. After each panel do that, first in, first out until you've gone through all 4~6 of them. By the time you get back to the first one it'll be cool again.

In the early years of the Meguiar's microfiber pads they had a problem with the pads delaminating/over heating. The engineers went to work on the problem and came out with a 'dedicated' backing plate/pad "system" that is designed to work together to help with that friction that was being generated between their pads and other backing plates. Since then you hardly ever hear about those pads failing. (At least with guys that know how to use them, and clean them with air after each section pass.)

It's easy to see in fact when you try one manufacturers backing plate/system versus another. Rupes for instance has such a hold on the pads that it's darned hard to get ANY pad off the backing plate without damaging it. You REALLY don't want to try and remove on of their microfiber pads after it gets even the slightest amount of heat in in or it'll fall to pieces!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cardaddy View Post
    +1000 with the other replies.

At a bare minimum I'd say 4 pads to compound a vehicle, if not 6. Switching to polishing you can go to 3~4, but with compounding... the more the merrier.

@David w/Lake Country... THANK YOU!

I might add... in addition to what David and others have said, heat building up in the pad is (of course) caused by product and friction on the surface/in the pad. BUT... it is also caused in a major way by the Velcro at the BACK of the pad and the way it interfaces with the backing plate. Back there it has nowhere to go, and will get terribly hot.

When buffing your vehicle you should do 1 panel, (maybe even half a panel when talking about the hood/roof) and then pull the pad to check for heat. Put the BACK of the pad against your cheek, (not the front) and if it's more than just barely warm... get a new one. After each panel do that, first in, first out until you've gone through all 4~6 of them. By the time you get back to the first one it'll be cool again.

In the early years of the Meguiar's microfiber pads they had a problem with the pads delaminating/over heating. The engineers went to work on the problem and came out with a 'dedicated' backing plate/pad "system" that is designed to work together to help with that friction that was being generated between their pads and other backing plates. Since then you hardly ever hear about those pads failing. (At least with guys that know how to use them, and clean them with air after each section pass.)

It's easy to see in fact when you try one manufacturers backing plate/system versus another. Rupes for instance has such a hold on the pads that it's darned hard to get ANY pad off the backing plate without damaging it. You REALLY don't want to try and remove on of their microfiber pads after it gets even the slightest amount of heat in in or it'll fall to pieces!
    Theirs meaning Rupes' microfiber pad?

Very good to know!

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    Theirs meaning Rupes' microfiber pad?

Very good to know!

You are correct sir!
    The combination of gorilla grip Velcro on the Rupes pads/backing plate combined with the (relatively) soft latex foam between the Velcro and the microfiber face of the pad makes removing those pads EXTREMELY difficult! Even in the best of circumstances you have to be far more careful than any other pads, but if you've been working one you can pretty much FORGET removing it without some sort of wide blade putty knife. You'll get one part up then when trying to get the other side, the first part sticks back down. With heat in it the latex foam part is so weak that it just rips to pieces.

FIWW I've tried the Meguiar's pads on the Duetto and while it still grips like crazy, I don't feel like I'm going to end up buying a new pad every time I remove one.

Post Thanks / Like

I personally have MELTED the backing of a Buffn Shine 5.5" green pad, using speed 6

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 99monguse View Post
    I personally have MELTED the backing of a Buffn Shine 5.5" green pad, using speed 6
    That's interesting. Those pads seem to run cooler for me. What machine were you using? What compound, how much pressure?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123