autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wool Pad on DA?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wool Pad on DA?

Quote Originally Posted by dpk20x View Post
    Awesome. Thanks for the update. What compound did you use?
    FG400. Wanted to try Hyper Compound and Fixer with them as well but didn't have any reason to go compounding random areas...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Just to comment...

When I posted about how traditionally wool pads don't work well on Porter Cable style dual action polishers I was thinking and typing in the context of larger pads. For example instead of using a 5.5" foam pad using a 5.5" wool pad or larger. In this context I don't think they work well for doing grunt work as it's too much to ask for the PC to keep the pad rotating.
    The GG6 latest gen is significantly more powerful than the PC, right? I used 5.5 inch pads and it spun freely. I have used the PFW from LC in the past and it seemed to shed much more easily then the TB pads did.... not sure why I didn't experience any shedding from the TB at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to comment...

When I posted about how traditionally wool pads don't work well on Porter Cable style dual action polishers I was thinking and typing in the context of larger pads. For example instead of using a 5.5" foam pad using a 5.5" wool pad or larger. In this context I don't think they work well for doing grunt work as it's too much to ask for the PC to keep the pad rotating.

Now if you move down to a 3" wool pad, then like a 3" foam pad, due to the dramatic decrease in surface area then that would probably rotate well.

It's all about pad rotation when trying to remove defects. Removing defects means removing paint and paint is removed best when a pad is rotating against the surface not just vibrating or jiggling.

I asked Eric Dunn at Lake Country about the black Tuff Buff pads and he's aware of them and told me all there's nothing unique about them it's just the wool is died black.

The description of these pads on their website talks about

Just going by the words, the word scales doesn't imply anything positive in my mind's eye when it comes to working on scratch sensitive clearcoat paints.

We carry a 4" wool cutting pad from Lake Country and I use these all the time with rotary buffers buy my guess is they will work just as good as black wool pads.

I'll order a couple and find out if there's really anything special about these pads but Eric told me there wasn't and Eric knows more about buffing pads than anyone I've ever met.

So I ordered a good amount of Meguiar's MF pads. I didn't really care for them to much in the beginning, however after working with Oneway Detailing. I realized that I didn't like them because I was using them wrong. He uses them a lot (if the job calls for it)

They dust like crazy, gunk up, are hard to clean, etc... why? because I was using them wrong. Now they stay nice and fluffy and a quick clean up after a section pass.

I am trying to cut down on my inventory of pads (so many colors) and compounds/polishes. To just a few, so we'll see how that works out. so:

pad for cutting
    pad for polishing
    pad for final polishing
    AIO
    compound
    ultra fine polish

I ordered 3" mf pads pads too, I wonder if they'll take the place of my TufBuf wool pads.

Post Thanks / Like
    TuffBuff wool pads are AWESOME. I love using them on the Flex 3401
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Just to comment...

Now if you move down to a 3" wool pad, then like a 3" foam pad, due to the dramatic decrease in surface area then that would probably rotate well.

It's all about pad rotation when trying to remove defects. Removing defects means removing paint and paint is removed best when a pad is rotating against the surface not just vibrating or jiggling.

I asked Eric Dunn at Lake Country about the black Tuff Buff pads and he's aware of them and told me all there's nothing unique about them it's just the wool is died black.

The description of these pads on their website talks about

Just going by the words, the word scales doesn't imply anything positive in my mind's eye when it comes to working on scratch sensitive clearcoat paints.

We carry a 4" wool cutting pad from Lake Country and I use these all the time with rotary buffers buy my guess is they will work just as good as black wool pads.

I'll order a couple and find out if there's really anything special about these pads but Eric told me there wasn't and Eric knows more about buffing pads than anyone I've ever met.

Hello Mike! What was the result with tuf buff pads?

Post Thanks / Like

one thing i noticed is some of the Asian countries like to use wool pads with large throw DA's and with good success...

[ame]youtube.com/watch?v=teObsJfct0c[/video]
    i am the jump starter.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Todd Helme wrote the best explanation as to why long fiber pads don't work well on dual action polishers. Maybe someone can dig it up?
    Mike, I think this is the post you are referring to:

purple foamed wool pad vs Surbuf pads.. - Corvette Forum

See Post #2
    Yeah we all shine on, like the moon, and the stars, and the sun - John Lennon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Priyaka View Post
    Mike, I think this is the post you are referring to:

purple foamed wool pad vs Surbuf pads.. - Corvette Forum

See Post #2
    Tuff buff pad is actually a long fiber wool pad. Still can't understand why it gives good results on a DA

PS. This great post shows also the surbuf pad on a DA. But can you tellme what would be the result with surbuf + rotary?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    one thing i noticed is some of the Asian countries like to use wool pads with large throw DA's and with good success...

[ame]youtube.com/watch?v=teObsJfct0c[/video]
    VERY good success.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Hernandez..I would love to hear what the mistakes you were making?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    VERY good success.
    Maybe that means the fibers are not bended too much if driven by a big throw?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast