autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Problem with 3 inch Hydrotech pads

Has anyone ever had a problem with the 3 in HT pads expanding on them?

I was trying to buff out my gas tank today using the tangerine and crimson pads on my 6 in Griots DA. I had to turn the speed way down to 3-4 while polishing, anything higher than that and my pad would balloon up in size and sling product all over the place. Now this is only the second time using these pads but I didn't have this problem the other day when I was buffing out a small panel on my car.

So is this normal when working with smaller pads? My backing plate was still spinning and I was able to exert a good amount of force on the machine, but I was having a hard time removing a lot of scratches so it would have been nice to be able to polish at a higher speed.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Problem with 3 inch Hydrotech pads

Quote Originally Posted by dpk20x View Post
    Has anyone ever had a problem with the 3 in HT pads expanding on them?

I was trying to buff out my gas tank today using the tangerine and crimson pads on my 6 in Griots DA. I had to turn the speed way down to 3-4 while polishing, anything higher than that and my pad would balloon up in size and sling product all over the place. Now this is only the second time using these pads but I didn't have this problem the other day when I was buffing out a small panel on my car.

So is this normal when working with smaller pads? My backing plate was still spinning and I was able to exert a good amount of force on the machine, but I was having a hard time removing a lot of scratches so it would have been nice to be able to polish at a higher speed.
    How high did you have it set when you were having the problem. You have to run the smaller pads on lower speeds or the machine will spin the pads to fast. There is not enough drag created by the smaller pads to keep the pad rotation under controll. Kind of like putting a skinny 14" tire on a 800hp NASCAR, the tires won't be there to long. Paint correction isn't all about how much power your machine has, it's about the right pad, product and technique for the project you are working on. You need different pads and products depending on the paint and what needs to be corrected.
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Newport, Oregon USA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok that's good to know. I'd say anywhere from 4-5 and the pad would expand on me. It wouldn't happen right away usually after I tried to go around a corner and the pad wasn't perfectly flat with the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Does HT have a 3" pad?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Does HT have a 3" pad?
    Yes They Do!
    Lake Country Hydro-Tech 3 x 1.25 Inch Foam Pads, hydrotech buffing pads, polishing pads, spot buffs
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Newport, Oregon USA!

Post Thanks / Like

That explains why I didn't have good results with the 4" H20 pads. I tried them at speeds 5 and 6 and they wiggled all over the place unless I used firm pressure to hold it in place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah guess you gotta turn the power down on these smaller pads.

Wish I would have figured that out before I tore up all my new pads lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Very important to run the 3" pads at low speeds. I tore one of my cyan pads up using moderate pressure at speed 4.5

2012 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 - Torch Red

Post Thanks / Like
    So whats a good speed for polishing with a gg6? 3 - 3.5 seem good or should I go even lower?

Post Thanks / Like

Would like to bump this to find good speed for 3 inch pads
    Charleston, SC

FLEX 3401, PC 7424xp, HF DA I Opticoated my shower......