autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

G21 griots 6.5" pads with Menzerna....where to start

Hey guys,

Just picked up my boss g21. Have a few vehicles lined up to use for some practice. Couple of questions in regards to pads I got and which what to use with said polish etc

In the kit I purchased from my local brick and mortar store it came with the 6" backing plate with boss 6.5" pads

I got a 6" inner flex pad
    2x microfiber
    2x white fast correcting
    2x orange correcting
    2x yellow perfecting
    2x black finishing

I am assuming I have them listed in most aggressive to least above, correct?

I grabbed what, after some reading, I felt would be the main go to in the Menzerna line up, as I am just starting out polishing. These two should be able to accomplish my goals with 95% of vehicles

Menzerna heavy cut 400
    Menzerna medium cut 2500

Have wax (p21) or sealant(power lock) to finish.

Now from the pads and product listed above, what would you recommend in terms of "what product to what pad?" for effectiveness and efficiency. Are there some combos that are no no's? Like 400 on a finishing pad.

Next question....if you are looking to polish let's say two vehicles in a day. With the above equipment. How many pads (and which colour ones) would I need to complete the day? I know that one is a bit loaded. I figure if I can get a general use guideline for doing two vehicles and having fresh pads, then getting said number...and if I need more I need more haha.

Thanks

Brett

Post Thanks / Like

Re: G21 griots 6.5" pads with Menzerna....where to start

Quote Originally Posted by TiCaLLioNStaLLyN View Post
    I got a 6" inner flex pad
    2x microfiber
    2x white fast correcting
    2x orange correcting
    2x yellow perfecting
    2x black finishing
    With this setup, you'll be armed to knock out 1 vehicle, and that's cutting it slim. Reason being is you'll only use cutting pads to cut and polishing pads to polish, obviously..

But if the vehicle has moderate to heavy defects, or is large [god forbid you have a Tahoe or Suburban to do] you could find find yourself needing more than 4 cutting pads to get the job done. [using 6 cutting pads is very possible] So there's all your cutting pads on 1 vehicle.. [and the Orange pads aren't really heavy cutting pads]
    Then the polishing step, there's 2 pads. 1 pad to lay your lsp and you're left with 1 pad for the 2nd. vehicle. Lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply dude. I'm fresh off the block. So ssume i know nothing.. I have done reading and watching videos. But as for the actual pads themselves...I've been unaware

So I'd need about 4-6 white ones for most vehicles.

And you only use 1 pad for the Polish step? As 2500 will be my lsp before wax or powerlock

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply dude. I'm fresh off the block. So ssume i know nothing.. I have done reading and watching videos. But as for the actual pads themselves...I've been unaware

So I'd need about 4-6 white ones for most vehicles.

And you only use 1 pad for the Polish step? As 2500 will be my lsp before wax or powerlock

4-6 cutting pads if the vehicle is either very large or the paint's in very rough condition. i.e. faded paint + moderate swirls. You can restore the shine in most situations like that, but with all the dry faded paint residue that comes off onto your pads you'll find yourself needing a fresh pad more often.

If a vehicle is in good condition, you might be able to get more done with less pads. I did a Dodge Ram truck a couple weeks ago and only used three 7" foam polishing pads + one 3" pad for the whole truck. [only 1 step polishing, and I applied lsp by hand]

As far as the polishing step, I said 2 pads average, not 1. I'm not familiar with Menzerna products so I can't help you as far as that part.

Mike Phillips

Hey guys,

Just picked up my boss g21. Have a few vehicles lined up to use for some practice. Couple of questions in regards to pads I got and which what to use with said polish etc

In the kit I purchased from my local brick and mortar store

Did the people at the brick and mortar store have any answers for your questions?

Next question....if you are looking to polish let's say two vehicles in a day.

Brett
    Before answering your questions.... here's a question for you...

What is your goal?

By this I mean,

A: Are you trying to start a car detailing business t make money? Either part time or full time?

B: Are you doing this because you like making things shiny?

C: This is your new passion?

Your answer or answers will help me and others to better answer your questions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    With this setup, you'll be armed to knock out 1 vehicle, and that's cutting it slim. Reason being is you'll only use cutting pads to cut and polishing pads to polish, obviously..

But if the vehicle has moderate to heavy defects, or is large [god forbid you have a Tahoe or Suburban to do] you could find find yourself needing more than 4 cutting pads to get the job done. [using 6 cutting pads is very possible] So there's all your cutting pads on 1 vehicle.. [and the Orange pads aren't really heavy cutting pads]
    Then the polishing step, there's 2 pads. 1 pad to lay your lsp and you're left with 1 pad for the 2nd. vehicle. Lol.
    Most likely he will only get 1 car done a day no? He can just wash the pads for the 2nd day. A conditioning brush really help too

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    Most likely he will only get 1 car done a day no? He can just wash the pads for the 2nd day. A conditioning brush really help too
    Oh yea, I forgot this is like his 1st time using the polisher...

@OP. Dude, you're not gonna polish both vehicles in 1 day.. No way! Lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Did the people at the brick and mortar store have any answers for your questions?

Before answering your questions.... here's a question for you...

What is your goal?

By this I mean,

A: Are you trying to start a car detailing business t make money? Either part time or full time?

B: Are you doing this because you like making things shiny?

C: This is your new passion?

Your answer or answers will help me and others to better answer your questions.

It's a great store. But I feel they rather try to push higher priced product rather than listen to what i am after. For instance I've been in there a few times discussing polishers. So I've done some research through here and from speaking with two shops whose first hand experience and opinions I trust (I don't buy anything from them, they help me out of kindness and shared passion) out of the state's (i am in Edmonton alberta).

Originally between the mk2 rupes and g21...after much reading etc. It basically comes down to personal preference as you can basically attain the same results with either machine. Personally have big hands and like the griots grip.

When I went in to buy my polisher the guy pushed the rupes at me for 100 more. I said well let me feel both side by side. Said he only had a rupes I could feel as that is what they use in the back and they didn't like the griots. Other than its a well made machine and they never see them come back, feel it has more power and have seen some griots come back (covered by warranty). I knew the boss had more the feel i wanted from the way the ergonomics of the bigger sized head grip showed. So i brushed him and his rupes off as I went in specifically saying I wouldn't be using rupes polishes and menzernas in place. He didn't have much to say.

Now same shop offers their own line of detailing products. Not saying they aren't of quality as I use the wheel cleaner. But back to the initial question on getting answers from the store...I find them to be biased(now with their own line) and cost driven. I get it you don't make a line that doesn't do something better than what you have access to...but at what point does price vs value become a factor. I basically start with OK I know you're going to say your line but beside your line what is the next best option . Like for.menzernas polishes they said I should be getting 5 products......I say three at max would cover their line pretty solid...as stated I went with the 400/2500 combo and may get another step for those level 10 cases....but Thatd be down the road

Great questions Mike!

This has been a passion of mine for over 5 years. Not until about 2 years ago did I find a store with quality products and selection you just don't get from Canadian tire. (Some megs retail like quick wax spray are exceptions). Ironically 3 years ago I financially crapped the bed and have been working my way towards getting the products to make.my own arsenal, deadly.

Who doesn't like making things shine? Haha. I have 3 vehicles of my own to do. Starting to practice on my beater 91 pathfinder...then got a 07 pathfinder. ....2010 srt8. Then have worked lined up with a friend for his 06 BMW 7 series...09 srt8...07 tundra and two early 90s bikes.

Ultimately yes I want to do a business start up. I want to be able to be efficient with prodcuts and at an economical cost in my products...but not at the cost of the quality of a product....if that makes sense. The above list is what I am starting with and will be documenting to use as a profile to promote my business locally in my small town.

I know the pad washer is essential in the game of professional pad work....I don't have that budget just yet.

So for now I am trying to understand what I'd need to get thru a day.

Haha Eldorado. I don't expect to get thru two in a day..especially just starting out. Just trying to plan and budget for when I can get to that point.

Thanks to all for taking the time and chiming in! Also for the advice to still come

Brett

Post Thanks / Like

Just to be clear.....microfiber and correcting pads in griots are the cutting pads and the perfecting and finishing are for polish?

What pads are used to apply wax or.sealant if you were hoping to apply with g21?

In terms.of pad care and reuse. Say you use the 2500 on your finishing pad. Clean the pad and am ready for day two. I decide to use an aio product for next said vehicle, with cleaned pad from 2500. Or is that a no no? Should you clean pads to only be reused with the same product?

Seems after all the reading I did on a polisher I should've also done twice as much on pads haha

Once again appreciate all the tips and advice. I've read thru other threads but sometimes need to ask questions in my own way to understand the answers and situation I am facing.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to be clear.....microfiber and correcting pads in griots are the cutting pads and the perfecting and finishing are for polish?

What pads are used to apply wax or.sealant if you were hoping to apply with g21?

In terms.of pad care and reuse. Say you use the 2500 on your finishing pad. Clean the pad and am ready for day two. I decide to use an aio product for next said vehicle, with cleaned pad from 2500. Or is that a no no? Should you clean pads to only be reused with the same product?

Seems after all the reading I did on a polisher I should've also done twice as much on pads haha

Once again appreciate all the tips and advice. I've read thru other threads but sometimes need to ask questions in my own way to understand the answers and situation I am facing.

That's correct, the microfiber, white fast cutting foam, and orange correcting foam pads are for cutting. Yellow foam and black are for polishing.

If you want to apply wax/sealant with the polisher you would use the black foam finishing pad.

As far as your question about using a cleaned and dried black foam pad the next day to apply AIO, that's totally fine.. However I would choose the yellow polishing pad instead of the black 1 for AIO's because you want at least a bit of ability to remove light swirls that the yellow pad will provide. [unless of course your paint is in perfect shape to begin with]

AIO's also work well well with the Orange foam cutting pad, as it's a light cutting pad and overall ideal for most of what you'd usually run into when choosing to use an AIO for the 1st time on a vehicle.

You can use a cleaned pad for different products without a problem, just make sure you clean them well.. They can usually clean up just fine with plain lukewarm running water from the sink, just as long as you do it shortly after you're finished using it... If you wait till the next day then it's your fault because it won't be that easy and you'll probably need a pad cleaning spray to help clean them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast