autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Lake county hybrid pads

  1. #1
    Senior Member Thenissanguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    137

    Lake county hybrid pads

    Okay guys so i recently purchased the 6 pack of 5inch lake county pads and ran into a headache.
    I ordered 2 orange , 2 blue, 2 white .
    On the packaging the orange pad says "Hybrid -1 heavy cut:" and the blue pad says "Hybrid -2 light cutting pad"
    Also on the autogeek site it says
    Orange Heavy Cutting Pad
    Hybrid Blue Light Cutting Pad
    Now this is what i have trouble understanding why is it that the blue pad (light cut) feels ALOT more rough then the orange pad?
    if i needed a pad with more cut than a orange what should i get?
    i tested the orange pad out on my neighbors 2007 goldish color silverado along with the flex 3104 and hdspeed and i was only able to remove about 50% of the swirls. I wasn't able to snap a picture because the bright sun and my cheap phone camera

  2. #2
    Senior Member Paul A.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tampa Florida
    Posts
    3,576

    Re: Lake county hybrid pads

    More cut than orange for me is a MF cutting pad or Purple foamed wool.
    Thenissanguy likes this.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Mantilgh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Boonsboro, Md
    Posts
    2,342

    Re: Lake county hybrid pads

    You may need to go to a compound and two step it depending on the results.

    Next step up would microfiber cutting pads and wool/foamed wool. Both of which would probably need to followed up with a polish.
    ____________
    "The more answers I seek, the more questions I find."

  4. #4
    Senior Member Aaryn NZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,013

    Re: Lake county hybrid pads

    Hey,

    I know what you mean about the blue (cyan) pads feeling more aggressive than the orange but once you start working with them the blue has a softer feel, maybe not as firm or dense as the orange Hybrids but great pads nonetheless. I think because of the abrasive technology in compounds now, even a cutting pad can finish down LSP ready so maybe there isn't as much need for that "in between" cutting pad. In saying that, I use the blue Hybrids & Pinnacles Advanced Swirl Remover often when I have a vehicle in thats not quite bad enough to need a full compound. Least aggressive method first though remember.

    I have no experience with HD products but as I understand it, HD Speed is an AIO? For the most part most AIO's work better with a softer pad IMO. If you aren't getting the results you would like from any product, it usually means you need to step up to the next level, in your case maybe a dedicated polish or compound. As Mantilgh & Puckman both said too - a microfibre, foamed wool or wool pad offer a more aggressive cut if desired.

    Aaryn NZ.
    Guyb likes this.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

  5. #5
    Senior Member Just02896's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,734

    Re: Lake county hybrid pads

    Forget the blue pads. They are a tad bit redundant considering the fact that one can correct and finish any vehicle using MF, orange, and white pads while alternating compounds and polishes with the different pads to achieve the results you desire.
    Thenissanguy likes this.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    11,751

    Lake county hybrid pads

    If you live in a colder climate, the blue hybrid will cut more than the orange and vice versa.

    Don't bother with MF pads if you're using the Flex 3401. MF pads work better with a free spinning DA. Pick up a hybrid wool pad if you want more cut with the 3401 or use a compound with the orange hybrid.


    Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    dlc95 likes this.
    '03 Corvette Z06

  7. #7
    Senior Member Thenissanguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    137

    Re: Lake county hybrid pads

    Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post
    Hey,

    I know what you mean about the blue (cyan) pads feeling more aggressive than the orange but once you start working with them the blue has a softer feel, maybe not as firm or dense as the orange Hybrids but great pads nonetheless. I think because of the abrasive technology in compounds now, even a cutting pad can finish down LSP ready so maybe there isn't as much need for that "in between" cutting pad. In saying that, I use the blue Hybrids & Pinnacles Advanced Swirl Remover often when I have a vehicle in thats not quite bad enough to need a full compound. Least aggressive method first though remember.

    I have no experience with HD products but as I understand it, HD Speed is an AIO? For the most part most AIO's work better with a softer pad IMO. If you aren't getting the results you would like from any product, it usually means you need to step up to the next level, in your case maybe a dedicated polish or compound. As Mantilgh & Puckman both said too - a microfibre, foamed wool or wool pad offer a more aggressive cut if desired.

    Aaryn NZ.
    so im a little new so bare with me here ....
    What compound would you recommend? Can i use a compound then hd speed after as a polish ?

  8. #8
    Senior Member Thenissanguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    137

    Re: Lake county hybrid pads

    Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    If you live in a colder climate, the blue hybrid will cut more than the orange and vice versa.

    Don't bother with MF pads if you're using the Flex 3401. MF pads work better with a free spinning DA. Pick up a hybrid wool pad if you want more cut with the 3401 or use a compound with the orange hybrid.


    Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    i live in downey Ca not to far from you.... the climate can be weird at times but usually nothing lower than 60 during the day. What combination would you recommend i try and with what compound?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    11,751

    Lake county hybrid pads

    Quote Originally Posted by Thenissanguy View Post
    i live in downey Ca not to far from you.... the climate can be weird at times but usually nothing lower than 60 during the day. What combination would you recommend i try and with what compound?
    Griots Fast Correct Cream is really good. It should cut well with the orange hybrid. Since your close, I don't mind coming out your way to show you a variety of things. When someone actually shows you how to polish, you will learn WAY faster. You could pick up Meguiars Ultimate Compound from any auto parts store. It's good stuff, too. Try that first.


    Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Mantilgh, dlc95 and Diner like this.
    '03 Corvette Z06

  10. #10
    Senior Member Thenissanguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    137

    Re: Lake county hybrid pads

    Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    Griots Fast Correct Cream is really good. It should cut well with the orange hybrid. Since your close, I don't mind coming out your way to show you a variety of things. When someone actually shows you how to polish, you will learn WAY faster. You could pick up Meguiars Ultimate Compound from any auto parts store. It's good stuff, too. Try that first.


    Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Thank you! i am probably going to have to take you up on that offer! I will look into ultimate compound.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Lake County Hybrid 5 in Black for buffing?
    By tenreasy in forum Wool & Foam Buffing Pads
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-22-2016, 04:49 PM
  2. What Lake County pads to get
    By Bill1234 in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-17-2014, 02:55 AM
  3. Lake County Flat Pads
    By dcgocd in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-30-2013, 06:26 AM
  4. lake county 5.5 inch green pads
    By john b in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-30-2010, 06:40 PM
  5. Lake County pads
    By m4bama in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-16-2010, 01:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» September 2017

2728293031 1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30