autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: rupes 21 destroyed some good quality pads

I am sitting on an airplane so I cannot go into too much detail, but your polishing time per section is about 4 minutes too long. After 1 minute you are loading paint residue into the pad, the abrasives are loaded with paint, and the lubricant is no longer as effective.

The combination of a lubricant that has lost efficiency and a slurry that has more solid content mean your results are going to suffer. You are also inducing more drag at the foam/paint interface which means the pad is flexing more and heating up. The longer you work it, the more the problems increase and internal temperature of the pad goes through the roof.

Shorten your work times by about 500%. You will getter a better finish, better pad life and you'll be done faster

Post Thanks / Like

What Todd said. Beat me to it. Polish 30 -45 seconds, brush off pad to remove spent product and removed paint, add more product and move to next section. 5 minutes will create way too much heat. Also, it is best to only use Rupes polishes with Rupes pads. Other polishes have solvents that can cause delamination and general pad deterioration.

Post Thanks / Like

prob could do with speed 3.5 too
    but figure like 3 seconds for shoulder to shoulder for polisher movement
    5 pea drops initially
    after 4 section passes..maybe 6 clean pad with brush
    then apply 3 to 4 pea size drops

repeat till panel is done then move to next with a fresh pad

Post Thanks / Like

I dunno.

I'm still using the Rupes pads that first came out when the first machine became available at AGO.

None have failed.

Granted, I only use them a few times a year.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys for the tips, i will try to reduce my polishing time in order to keep my pads alive (my FLEX 3401 is so different in that sense ...)
    one thing is not really clear to me-if speed 4 is the maximum we have to use with the 21 mark2 and faster is just to wild and destroying pads, why do they offer speed 5-6? curves? why not just add even more Torque to handle the curves ?-that fast motion is just to wiled and not healthy to the pads (especially with the washer MOD) and because no Mather what (mark2 and all the tweaks they add) it's just bad on curves and cant do half of what the flex can do -but that is just another case (-:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    Is the middle yellow pad, a Rupes pad?
    yes-it's the same rupes pad that destroyed a few days after ..

Post Thanks / Like

The 21mm throw is hard on pads, even if you use the Chinese Rupes knock offs it will wear out pads fast.
    With the 21mm throw, you have to use Rupes pads or pads designed for it, like LC HD line or B&F Urotecs.
    The 15mm orbit is less forgiving, in case you want to play around with different pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aderet View Post
    yes-it's the same rupes pad that destroyed a few days after ..
    Thank you.

A few things come to mind.

1. Though it's unlikely, check backing plate. Make sure it's gripping the pad securely. If it isn't securely gripping the pads, that itself can get things hot at the surface, resulting in pad blow out.

2. I did watch the video, and I believe there is still too much pressure being used. Also the pad didn't appear to be flat on the paint. On flat panels, the pad should be flat. The angled pad + consistent pressure load will cause pad destruction as well.

3. Some after market pads that are taller won't be able to handle the extreme lateral motions found on these tall stroke machines. These taller after market pads twist and flex in the middle, heat up, and blow out.

The only problem I really had with Rupes pads is that I've had the loop backing die on a couple yellow pads. I was learning how to use the system with them, and used too much pressure. I've also had the blue microfiber fall out due to improper cleaning methods (anyone reading - be gentle with a pad cleaning brush. The fibers are looped - not straight strings. Too aggressive cleaning can have the brush bristles get caught on/in the loop holes, which can end up pulling the fibers out of the substrate... I now brush them lightly, or use and old credit card to scrape them off). That Zephir compound cuts a lot of paint off a vehicle, and the microfiber pads can really get full fast. It's also unique in that the compound is both sticky and dusty if allowed to build up.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never had a problem like this. It's your technique. Your generating to much heat. work smaller areas and work shorter times.
    I've had my Bigfoot since they came out. Sure a few pads get torn up with use but it's years before that happens. Just normal ware. But never have I destroyed pads like that. I wash my pads right after I use them and I keep them for years.

Post Thanks / Like

More speed more heat= less time to work before you destroy your pads. I switch my pads every few minutes when doing large areas to keep them from overheating. I may have a few more pads to clean at day's end but they are not going in the trash can

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast