autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Lake Country CCS 6.5 pad repair ??

I have two Lake Country CCS foam pads, the velcro backing totally came off one and the other pad is halfway off. Both pads are not that old and in great shape. Has anyone used a adhesive to read glue the velcro backing ? I thought using 3M trim adhesive and try to save the pads. Let me know if anyone has a trick or a good adhesive to use, the pads still look new and have life left in them. Thanks!

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lake Country CCS 6.5 pad repair ??

I had the same issue, used some adhesive glue which held up for a while.

Post Thanks / Like

All of my yellow LC flat pads have done this, but I have not tried to fix them. All my other colors of the flat pads are holding up well.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Reading through the forum , I did see one post saying that a hot glue gun works well to bond the velcro backing back to the foam pad.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I used super glue use just a little it will melt the foam if you use too much.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had the same issues. I have like 12 left each of the yellow and orange. I think once they are gone I'm switching. Even had one of their wool pads blow up

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This is ridiculously timely: I came searching for exactly this issue as I have two orange SONAX 6.5" pads with the cloth backing coming off this past weekend. The foam is still in great shape, but I have a hard time controlling the pad placement on the car with half the cloth coming unglued. My Lake Country white pads have been holding up fine.
    I have access to a hot glue gun at work; how heavy/thick an application are you suggesting?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroDfx View Post
    This is ridiculously timely: I came searching for exactly this issue as I have two orange SONAX 6.5" pads with the cloth backing coming off this past weekend. The foam is still in great shape, but I have a hard time controlling the pad placement on the car with half the cloth coming unglued. My Lake Country white pads have been holding up fine.
    I have access to a hot glue gun at work; how heavy/thick an application are you suggesting?
    I was doing a search of the forum and found one member had used hot glue to bond the velcro back together, he didnt say how much or what kind of pattern.

I have used 3M spray trim adhesive glue to a couple of pads, but one is ready to let go after some use. I have seen anything from gorilla glue, super glue, and hot glue listed. I love the 6.5 CCS pads, I just ordered 12 more, but I would really like to save these too, much more life left in them. It alomst looks like some kind of rubber cement type of adesive used to bond the velcro to foam. My orange pad had the glue peel off of the backing pad in one piece,
    ( it was funny , the foam took off and I couldnt find it anywere, two days later it was on the roof of my other van, Im a T-7 para in a wheelchair, my neighbor asked me, "whats that orange thing on your roof....lol.).

I always wash and set them face down to dry, and use a rolling pin to exrtract any excess water. I also found out that twisting up the pad to dry and hot water seems to be bad on a pad too. I still think this is the best pad for my needs.

Post Thanks / Like

Guys really. A pad is less that 10 bucks. Now I'm not a rich guy by any means but is your or a customers paint really worth chancing on having that pad come apart while buffing. I use Lake Country pads exclusively and have never had one do that. Maybe you are bearing down too hard and causing too much heat. It's not always how fast you can get the deflect out. Iv'e worked in the car industry fro 39 years and you're going to pay about 500 bucks to paint a panel by a good body shop.
    2011 Compass Latitude Bright Silver/ 2017 Nissan Rogue SV AWD Premium Glacier White
    REFLECTIVE IMAGE DETAILING

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

WAXOFF:
    Point well taken re cost, but for me that's not really the issue. Whether it's $10 or $20 or $100, I have this naive expectation that any product is going to work and perform as advertised with "zero defects"; if/when it doesn't, I'm disappointed. That's the case for me with these pads that appear to have failed long before their expected life span. Was hoping the combined intelligence of the community could lend some insight as to whether I'm using or maintaining the pad incorrectly and causing my own problem; or whether this is a brand/product issue that is par for the course. Perhaps if I were a professional, I'd shrug it off and move one as you do; but without 39 years of experience, it becomes noteworthy on my learning path. I'll take your comment re "bearing down too hard and causing too much heat" as a possibility and pay closer attention to that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast