autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lake Country ThinPro Foam Buffing Pads exclusively at Autogeek

Agree it gums up in the centre, the centre hole will assist in cooling and longevity too.

Mike Phillips

I'll be sharing info about the introduction of the THINPRO pads today.

Click this link for more info

LIVE BROADCAST - Tuesday, May 12th at 3:00pm Eastern Time - Tips & Techniques

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered a number of Lake Country Thin Pads with a Griots G9 as a Christmas gift for my son. I traveled to Utah this week to visit. The polisher and pads were still in the box. I Pulled out the polisher and opened up the Orange pad plastic bag. I have dozens of pads, but I hadn't used the thin pads before. The backing material seemed loose and not glued int other than the extreme edges. I started polishing the headlights on his 4Runner. The backing almost immediately started coming loose from the pad. I hadn't used it for more than a few minutes of easy use. I took out another pad, again, they were brand new, just out of the packaging. That one was better, but still had loose material in the center of the backing. The orange foam pad didn't seem as dense as my other Lake Country orange pads. I switched to a white pad. The white pad seemed denser and corrected better. There were some hard water spots from sprinklers that took a little work, but the white pads and HD Speed worked great. Not sure what is with the backing material on the new thin pads. The link on Autogeek says that the adhesive is "nearly indestructible." That certainly wasn't my experience. Again, I almost exclusively buy Lake Country pads. I have been very pleased with the durability and cutting and finishing features. I did not have that same level of satisfaction with the thin pads. I have to assume that they had some sort of manufacturing issue. Virtually no adhesive inside of the outer edge of the backing material.

Perhaps someone with background on these thin pads can chime in. thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lj993 View Post
    I ordered a number of Lake Country Thin Pads with a Griots G9 as a Christmas gift for my son. I traveled to Utah this week to visit. The polisher and pads were still in the box. I Pulled out the polisher and opened up the Orange pad plastic bag. I have dozens of pads, but I hadn't used the thin pads before. The backing material seemed loose and not glued int other than the extreme edges. I started polishing the headlights on his 4Runner. The backing almost immediately started coming loose from the pad. I hadn't used it for more than a few minutes of easy use. I took out another pad, again, they were brand new, just out of the packaging. That one was better, but still had loose material in the center of the backing. The orange foam pad didn't seem as dense as my other Lake Country orange pads. I switched to a white pad. The white pad seemed denser and corrected better. There were some hard water spots from sprinklers that took a little work, but the white pads and HD Speed worked great. Not sure what is with the backing material on the new thin pads. The link on Autogeek says that the adhesive is "nearly indestructible." That certainly wasn't my experience. Again, I almost exclusively buy Lake Country pads. I have been very pleased with the durability and cutting and finishing features. I did not have that same level of satisfaction with the thin pads. I have to assume that they had some sort of manufacturing issue. Virtually no adhesive inside of the outer edge of the backing material.

Perhaps someone with background on these thin pads can chime in. thanks
    Contact Autogeek customer support, they'll take care of you. Definitely sounds defective. Were the pads exposed to heat for a long time?
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

When I contacted Autogeek Customer Service I was not overly-impressed. Instead of addressing the issue with the defective pads, I was given reasons why they wouldn't do anything about them. I was told they had been in the heat, that it had been too long since the purchase, that they had been over-heated. That I didn't know how to use the pads.........After 30 minutes on the phone, the customer service rep finally agreed to send me two new pads.

I have spoken with the AG customer service people in the past. They have been great. This time, it much more of a chore.

On a quick side note, this was the first time that I had used the Griot's Garage G9 polisher. I was pretty impressed. At $150, it worked very well. It did seem to heat up more than my Flex or my Rupes, or even my Porter Cable. It did vibrate more than the Flex, my hands were a bit numb on the first use. After that, I didn't seem to notice it as much. I used it with the smaller 5 inch backing plate. It made it easy to get into smaller, tighter spaces. For the money, it can't be beat. It is a very nice tool. Comes with great accessories and replacement bushes.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345