autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lake Country ThinPro Foam Buffing Pads exclusively at Autogeek

Mike I remember you saying to get 5.5 pads for a PC or GG, do you think these DA's will have enough power to rotate the thin 6.5 pads? or should we just stick with the 5.5 thin pads?
    2015 Audi //S4 (Ibis White)
    1995 BMW ///M3 (Alpine White)

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mp0wer View Post
    Mike I remember you saying to get 5.5 pads for a PC or GG, do you think these DA's will have enough power to rotate the thin 6.5 pads? or should we just stick with the 5.5 thin pads?
    For sure current DA's on the market will be better able to maintain pad rotation for larger THIN pads but even so, smaller diameter pads fit modern car body panels better than larger pads.

By that I mean a thin panel can be the hood but it's the portion or section of paint between the edge of the hood and a raised body line on the hood. This has to do with the best practice of not buffing on edges or raised body lines.

Here's an article I wrote with some pictures that show what I mean...

How to divide larger body panels into smaller sections for machine buffing

How I would section any body panel would be easier to figure out if I were standing right in front of the vehicle, that said, here's how I would probably divide the hood of a 2007 Tahoe into smaller sections to polish with a Porter Cable type dual action polisher.

If using a more powerful tool, rotary , Flex 3401 or Rupes, you could take the small section I've outlined and tackle more of them at one time. I'd still divide the center large mass of the hood into at least two section and possibly 4 sections depending how much correction is needed.

These, longer, THINNER sections of a body panel are the norm for a lot of cars, trucks and suvs and this is why I like 5.5" pads on tools like the PC and even 4" Spot Repair Pads and that's because smaller diameter pads fit modern cars better than large pads.

As far as the raised body lines go, for the soft rolling body lines I wouldn't bother taping these of just don't hammer on them.

For any sharp raised body lines, bet some painter's tape or if you really want some nice tape, get the 1/4" 3M Blue Vinyl Tape to protect them but I don't think I would using a PC, it's just not aggressive enough for the edges on this body style.

3M Blue Vinyl Tape

Worth it's weight in gold...

3M Vinyl Tape 1/4 Inch - 06405

3M Vinyl Tape 1/8 Inch - 06404

The big picture idea is...

• Break larger panels into smaller sections.

• Try to use natural edges, raised body lines and segmented panels as natural dividing lines for the smaller sections.

Avoid trying tackle too large a section at one time when using tools like the PC/Megs/Griot's polishers or you'll end up with shiny swirls.

That is, you'll feel like you're getting a lot of work done because you're knocking out larger sections but at the end of the day, when you do the final wipe-off of wax the swirls will still be in the paint, (because you didn't remove them), they'll just be shiny.

Post Thanks / Like

Way cool!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike appreciate it
    2015 Audi //S4 (Ibis White)
    1995 BMW ///M3 (Alpine White)

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, I was told the GREY LC thin pad works great with Menzerna polishes. Also, HD Adapt.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Lake Country and Autogeek product teams, if you are reading this, please note that multi-pad combo packs like you can get for the flat pads are great. Rarely do I even need just one pad, and the combo packs bring down the price per pad a bit.

I need to replace some of my flat pads which are starting to wear out. I might have to pick up a couple to test them out.

Thanks for posting this - would also like to see that 3 or 6-pack option for this new pad.

David

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zubair View Post
    Thanks Mike, cant wait to try these. Also a big thanks to AutoGeek and Lake Country for these thin pads, will reduce pad stall significantly and finally an aggressive (grey) foam pad for hard clear coats. Now to bring the extreme grey cutting foam to the Hybrid range so I can use it on my Flex 3401.
    Quite the opposite the thin pads stall more then thick pads. On contoured edges and curves. That is why griots made that innerflex pad to make the pad thicker to adjust to the curved panel.

The innerflex pad works however at high speeds its junk it shreds.

Thats why i just use LC pads the thick ones for those areas and it spins and rotates fine.

That is on a da of course the flex will have no problem no matter what you stick on it

Post Thanks / Like

Will these or the thin meguiars pads work with the backing plate that comes in the meguiars 5 inch microfiber kit?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by E92M3_Mark View Post

FWIW, I was told the GREY LC thin pad works great with Menzerna polishes. Also, HD Adapt.
    I'm sure it will work with a plethora of products. Remember besides the product itself there's also factors like,

Temperature
    Humidity
    Wind
    Technique

And all of these come into play with any pad/product/tool combo.

Quote Originally Posted by hogie View Post

Will these or the thin meguiars pads work with the backing plate that comes in the meguiars 5 inch microfiber kit?
    The 5.5" ThinPro pads will work with the Meguiar's 5" backing plate.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Mike on the blue vinyl tape...worth it's weight in gold. This may go without saying but may help a few. Make sure you don't stretch the tape when you use it. It can take up to 3 or 4 minutes, but it will shrink back and pull away from whatever you taped. In my case I had several areas taped before I noticed it pulling away.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast