autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Lake Country Hybrid 3" Pad?

Hello,

Long time lurker here, I been looking into a smaller polisher using a 3" pad to go with my 5" Pad Flex 3401. I haven't quite figured out which polisher to go with (PC7424, Rupes Mini, Flex Mini, etc.) but I know I am set on the 3" size. I currently run 5" hybrid pads on the Flex 3401 and wanted to have the same pads in 3" with the new polisher i decide to get. I noticed a member on this forum quoted the existence of a Lake Country Hybrid 3" pad. I did an extensive search and could not find this size in the hybrid line up, maybe he meant hydrotech? Long story short, does Lake Country make a 3" line of the Hybrids? Thanks in advance!

Best,

Jorge
    Last edited by JorgeSanchez; 10-29-2015 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Grammatical Error

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lake Country Hybrid 3" Pad?

No, for now

SEMA launch possible?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the speedy reply, guess I will just have to get the LC flat foam 3" for now.

Post Thanks / Like

Or wait a week and see what launches at SEMA

Small pads are hot right now and I wouldn't be surprised to see several new offerings

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

That is also a great idea. Luckily I am still doing the due diligence to see which 3" pad capable polisher I plan to purchase. Thanks again for the info and insight!

Post Thanks / Like

The larger machines can be converted to 3", but the Shrouds are sort of large on machines like the PC7424XP, GG6. Thus you might be banging the Shroud into tight areas like license plate cubby holes, around mirrors, etc. I bought a "PC Guard" for my PC's Shroud, but all it is, is a length of peel and stick foam rubber weatherstrip tape.

The Rupes Mini looks like a Machine I'd like having! Thing is, it is called a 3", but I see no 3" Pads sold by Rupes here on site? I only see 4"

So then what, must one then buy other brand 3" Pads? Not a problem I know, but would've assumed Rupes themselves would have these?
    Anyone know?

Post Thanks / Like

Hybrid Pads were developed for use with the Flex 3401 so I wouldn't imagine that they would make a 3" Hybrid Pad (considering that the Flex can only go down to a 4" backing plate)... But SEMA is just around the corner so we will see!

If you're looking to do correction with a 3" polisher then I would recommend going with the Rupes 75E. It can be done with other machines but as it has been mentioned before the shroud becomes a problem.

I've found the Rupes 4" pads to work flawlessly and haven't had any problem with them being too big to work on pillars, bumpers, or other intricate areas.

If you're locked in on getting 3" pads then I would highly recommend the Lake Country Flat Pads, which work great on any of the 3" machines, includeing the Rupes.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    The larger machines can be converted to 3", but the Shrouds are sort of large on machines like the PC7424XP, GG6. Thus you might be banging the Shroud into tight areas like license plate cubby holes, around mirrors, etc. I bought a "PC Guard" for my PC's Shroud, but all it is, is a length of peel and stick foam rubber weatherstrip tape.

The Rupes Mini looks like a Machine I'd like having! Thing is, it is called a 3", but I see no 3" Pads sold by Rupes here on site? I only see 4"

So then what, must one then buy other brand 3" Pads? Not a problem I know, but would've assumed Rupes themselves would have these?
    Anyone know?
    Hi Mark,

I believe I did run across one of your threads where you placed the padding tape around the shroud, great idea by the way and I am sure to adopt it when I decide which 3" route I decide to take.

Just like you I was pretty interested in the Rupes Mini running the 3" lake country flat pads, but then I started looking into the PC where I can convert it to a 3" as well as use it as a back up for larger pads in case the Flex 3401 decides to go out (hopefully not soon though).

Rupes not offering a 3" pad selection was also a bit confusing to me. They have the mini, duetto, 15, 21.... you would think the mini would be capable of doing the "mini" jobs (3" or less).

Thanks for your input!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul@Autogeek View Post
    Hybrid Pads were developed for use with the Flex 3401 so I wouldn't imagine that they would make a 3" Hybrid Pad (considering that the Flex can only go down to a 4" backing plate)... But SEMA is just around the corner so we will see!

If you're looking to do correction with a 3" polisher then I would recommend going with the Rupes 75E. It can be done with other machines but as it has been mentioned before the shroud becomes a problem.

I've found the Rupes 4" pads to work flawlessly and haven't had any problem with them being too big to work on pillars, bumpers, or other intricate areas.

If you're locked in on getting 3" pads then I would highly recommend the Lake Country Flat Pads, which work great on any of the 3" machines, includeing the Rupes.
    Hey Paul,

This is the route I been contemplating, I just need to figure out if I want to go Rupes mini and have the smaller form factor with the 3-4" pad option, or the PC w/ 3" BP with the option to have a back up larger diameter BP.

One reason I wanted to keep my pad models within the same product line is because I was worried the correction or polishing results would differ from model to model using the same color pads (in this case, LC Hybrid vs LC Flat pads). Would this be the case? Thanks in advance for any inputs you may have!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeSanchez View Post
    Hey Paul,

This is the route I been contemplating, I just need to figure out if I want to go Rupes mini and have the smaller form factor with the 3-4" pad option, or the PC w/ 3" BP with the option to have a back up larger diameter BP.

One reason I wanted to keep my pad models within the same product line is because I was worried the correction or polishing results would differ from model to model using the same color pads (in this case, LC Hybrid vs LC Flat pads). Would this be the case? Thanks in advance for any inputs you may have!
    Jorge,

LC Hybrid & LC Flat pads have different foam compositions and different colors. But the main pads do match up to the Hybrid Colors:
    Compound - Orange
    Polish - White
    Finishing - Red or Black

The only Flat 3" pad I would recommend that doesn't match the Hybrid colors is the Yellow Flat pad which is for heavy compounding.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast