autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Recently purchased: Griot's Garage 6

Car:Recently purchased: Griot's Garage 6-imageuploadedbyagonline1442049431-560816-jpg

My first set of pads used: Meguairs new foam disc, all three colors.

Situation: Recently on the market looking for more pads. I have been recommended buff and shine pads for this machine. I plan on purchasing a lake country 5 inch backing plate soon because I heard it would work better vs. the default 6 inch plate. Currently, I own the Meguairs Ultimate trio. Interested in trying 3D HD SPEED W/ HD POXY in future.

Question: Anyone else have been in the same situation?

Pad inquiries:

Lake Country CCS?
    Buff & Shine Orange Pads? Leaning more on this one currently based on recommendations from someone who had much success with this combo
    Lake Country Hybrid? This is of interest because I have seen pictures of Mike Phillips using HD Adapt with White hybrid

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the pads I have are great, but I just want to make sure I am not taking a step backwards because I'm on a budget. Cheaper would be nice if I can with sacrificing on quality of the product as well as the correction!!!!

Please help!

To the one(s) who has been of great help, here is what I tell everyone: "It's not that I don't trust you, it's because I have trust issues!"😉

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Recently purchased: Griot's Garage 6

You should be able to use what you have if you plan to use HD speed and not worry about other backing plates or pads. HD Speed is an all in one
    that you can use with a light polishing pad.

What is your goal?
    1. Remove most of the major paint defects - something Meg's Ultimate would come closer to achieve

2. Improve the paint condition- something HD speed would do.

If 2, then you do not need anything else.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

My GG6 is 4 years old now. From day one I used a 5" backing plate and B&S 5.5" pads. And, a 3.5" BP and 4" pads for tight areas. While the GG6 has the power to handle the 6.5" pads the 5.5" pads are easier to work with and less expensive. B&S pads are very durable and have recessed Velcro which adds a margin of safety when polishing around protruding objects. The Megs thin pads are also excellent. IMO flat pads are the way to go--feel there is more pad on the surface and no chance of spent product etc building up in depressions, grooves etc in the pad. I believe the Hybrid pads are designed more for the FLEX--note that the Velcro is only 4" on a 5" pad (not sure on this though). While not absolutely necessary try to get the backing plate from the same brand of pads you'll using--ie B&S pads, B&S backing plate.

HD Speed and Poxy are great products and very easy to work with as they have a long working time, little to no dust and easy to remove. If you go that route remember "less is more" with HD products. With Speed 5-6 small drops to prime the pad, 2-3 after that. Don't spread it on the pad, no pad primers, water or QD. Clean the pad on the fly often--important with soft paints. Poxy spreads like crazy so you can do an entire car with 12-15 drops.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gretchen731 View Post
    I plan on purchasing a lake country 5 inch backing plate soon because I heard it would work better vs. the default 6 inch plate.
    Yeah get the 5" but that 6" plate pad combo is great for larger vehicles like pickup trucks suv's etc. with large flat panels.
    Second Best One Legged Detailer in The World... That top slot is unattainable