autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Pad Selection w/ M101/205

Hey all...new to this forum but done a lot of detailing in the past. I just ordered a new BMW M235 in Alpine White so I'm dusting off my equipment to get ready. I have both a DA and rotary. I've used Menzerna products on my other cars, but I think I'm going to try M101/205 on my bimmer since I don't have as much time as I used to and I want to keep it simple. I used to use Uber blue and green pads for most of my cleaning. I'd like to stay with foam. What pads should I add to my arsenal for the new car?

TIA

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pad Selection w/ M101/205

If you ordered a new BMW I'd don't think you should need M101/M105 as those products cut hard. Why cut hard on good new paint if it's not necessary? You could polish it with M205 before putting on a good wax or sealant, but there is probably a better option that's easier.

From what I gather on this forum and on the Meguiar's forum there's a product that should polish that new car perfectly for the first time, clean and polish it with successive uses down the road, and keep it sealed real well each time you use it. It's amount of can change with the type of pad you decide to use, as with a lot of products, but it can be topped with a wax if you so decide.

It's touted as being an AWESOME product on white, especially. None other than Meguiars White Wax, wax for white cars, wax for white paint It can be found at Autogeek of course, Meijer, Wal-Mart, and probably a lot of other auto parts stores.

Hope this was helpful.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    If you ordered a new BMW I'd don't think you should need M101/M105 as those products cut hard. Why cut hard on good new paint if it's not necessary? You could polish it with M205 before putting on a good wax or sealant, but there is probably a better option that's easier.

From what I gather on this forum and on the Meguiar's forum there's a product that should polish that new car perfectly for the first time, clean and polish it with successive uses down the road, and keep it sealed real well each time you use it. It's amount of can change with the type of pad you decide to use, as with a lot of products, but it can be topped with a wax if you so decide.

It's touted as being an AWESOME product on white, especially. None other than Meguiars White Wax, wax for white cars, wax for white paint It can be found at Autogeek of course, Meijer, Wal-Mart, and probably a lot of other auto parts stores.

Hope this was helpful.
    Sorry if I wasn't clear. I don't want to polish the car with 101 or 105 first pass, but I want to use it periodically if the paint needs correction. I was going to go to 205 and then to a sealant and wax. Make sense? Or should I look at a different product?

Post Thanks / Like

You are on the right track. Good idea as far as a test spot. Both M101 and M205 are good products. I have the new thin Meguiar's foam pads and they are great pads.

Post Thanks / Like

From what I've gathered, the new thin Meguiars pads are AMAZING and they work good with 105 & 205....I myself have 105 & 205 and the new pads and am ordering my GG6 polisher soon
    2010 Candy White Volkswagen CC - 170k and counting DD
    2006 DSOM C6 z06 - 22k miles

Post Thanks / Like

I use the green hex logic with m10_, and blue with m205.

To my knowledge, but Uber and Hex Logic are manufactured by Buff and Shine - available here at AG.

Some companies designate the green as a light cut / heavy polish pad, others strictly a polishing pad. One manufacturer paired it with their heaviest polish for severe swirls. I like the green with my cutting compounds on the PC, and the Flex 3401. I prefer them to the orange and yellow.

The blue pad is designated polishing / finishing. Surprisingly, I get great performance out of the blue, for both one stepping with M205, and leaving a gorgeous glossy finish, like a finishing pad should.

I've had the same four (2 green, 2 blue ) pads working hard since 2013. They're getting beat up, but they always deliver. I trust them to perform. This summer I've leaned on them pretty hard, and they always come back for more. If you still have your green and blue Uber pads, I would in aging they're just fine. Give them a try and see how you like them together. I really like M100 on the green.