autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

What pads to get for 3401 and Rupes 15?

I have both a 3401 and Rupes 15 . I have been primarily using Buff and Shine and Lake Country flat pads but the Rupes is a little tough on them. This is especially true on those with raised velcro since it tears the area around the perimeter. I do have the interchangeable backing plate for the Flex.

I would like to use the same pads on both so looking for suggestions especially for polishing.

1. Hybrid optimized for Flex
    2. LC Pro (designed for large orbital)
    3. no change since B&S are inexpensive (why pay 2x since they last long enough)

I tend to use 5.5-in pads.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What pads to get for 3401 and Rupes 15?

Buff & Shine is suposed to release a new line of pads for long throw polishers later in the summer. I have no other details other than they are designed specifically for the new large orbit polishers.

Post Thanks / Like

I know it says in the description that the LC HD orbital pads are designed for use on the large throw DA machines but if I remember correctly I recall Dave@LC saying that they work equally well on the 3401.

Hopefully he see's this post and can provide a bit of feedback.

Regular Member David at LC Pads's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The LC HD orbitals are pretty awesome on long throw machines, and work very well on the 3401 polisher also.

While the Hybrid line is my favorite pad for the Flex 3401, it wouldn't be what I would typically recommend for a long stroke machine due to its thickness.

They both have a similar shape, but operate in completely different ways.

The weight, weight distribution and thickness can really change a long stroke polishers.

Using a Hybrid pad on a long throw polisher will work, but what you will experience is typically an increase in rotation. Keeping rotation is a very good thing, but there is a fine line where it actually can have a negative effect IMHO. When speed increases like this it can cause premature failure on the pad.

On the other hand there is a fine line in terms of performance on a long throw polisher also. Thin helps minimize the movement and keep the power of the polisher directly to the pad to avoid loss in rotation. A pad that is too thin will work fantastic on flat panels, but will not rotate and perform as well in the curved and contoured areas of the vehicle.

Like I said, I would typically recommend LC Hybrids for the 3401 and HD orbital pads for the long throw polishers. I would say that if you were looking for a single system of pads, I would go with the HD since they actually provide better durability on the long stroke, but still provide a nice cushioned feel on the 3401

Post Thanks / Like

While the HD Orbitals do work well with the 3401, the only issue I see is, the blue cutting pad of the HD line may not cut nearly as well as the orange cutting pad in the hybrid line. This is if you were looking to use only one line. David?
    '03 Corvette Z06

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

The HD Orbitals are brilliant on both the Rupes and Flex!