autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Exploding Pad

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Exploding Pad

I had the same thing happen to me in December. I just got my PC DA, had one yellow compounding pad and Meg's Ultimate Compound. Did all but the last two panels of a heavily scratched and swirled black Tahoe when the pad did just as yours did. The hook part of the velcro plate was even melted. That night I found Auto Geek and starting learning from my mistake. Many of us have been there and are greatfull for the guys here sharing thier knowledge and experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RegalOne View Post
    BTW my first use of the GG was on a bigger car with Blackfire TPS. I used one pad, guess I got lucky.
    If that was the same pad it may have been "weakened" from that first go-round.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    If that was the same pad it may have been "weakened" from that first go-round.

Different pad. Same type and size but a different pad

Post Thanks / Like

Well, not every pad is the same, not every polishing session is the same. Pads do wear out eventually, and heat accelerates the process. No biggie, I mean even going to 2 pads per vehicle cuts the wear and tear in half.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Same thing happened to me my first attempt at paint correction. I was using to much product and not cleaning my pad enough. Since then I've corrected my technique and haven't had an issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Well, not every pad is the same, not every polishing session is the same. Pads do wear out eventually, and heat accelerates the process. No biggie, I mean even going to 2 pads per vehicle cuts the wear and tear in half.

Thanks it all makes sense and I am just glad I didn't damage the car. Rack it up to experience and I am very grateful for all of the feedback. I will use all of the advice and feedback the next time the GG comes out of the box.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's an article by Mike Phillips regarding how many pads you should use per step http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ut-my-car.html

Regular Member David at LC Pads's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Like others have mentioned above, I would suggest using multiple pads.

You can extend a pads usage by cleaning it regularly to avoid polish build up in and on the face of the pad.

A brush or compressed air can help do this, but eventually a new pad will be necessary as the old pad needs a complete clean/dry to use again effectively.

Residue control can change the polishing process, and I think if you use additional pads you will be much happier with the results, but also have pads last longer. A pad with built up residue will have a decreased cut, but also won't finish as well either.

The pad you are using has a partially closed cell structure, which tend to not dissipate heat as well. The white foam is the only foam like this in the CCS pad line up. It does however work great for a polishing foam. When using multiple pads, you are allowing the pad to cool, and not risk the foam itself degrading due to heat.

Excessive polish build up can also increase the weight of a pad significantly. This results in the pad holding the heat even more because the pad is embedded with polish. The added weight, along with excessive heat tend to be the leading cause of pads blowing out. The link provided above written by Mike Phillips should help gauge how many pads you will need.

One thing I would recommend is turning the machine speed down significantly or turning it off before removing from the paint. If you have a hot, loaded pad, and remove pressure, that weight can increase rotation and blow a pad apart much easier. They typically look like the ones in the original picture.

Thanks for all of the posts to help out the OP!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David@LakeCountry View Post

You can extend a pads usage by cleaning it regularly to avoid polish build up in and on the face of the pad.

A brush or compressed air can help do this, but eventually a new pad will be necessary as the old pad needs a complete clean/dry to use again effectively.

Residue control can change the polishing process, and I think if you use additional pads you will be much happier with the results, but also have pads last longer. A pad with built up residue will have a decreased cut, but also won't finish as well either.

The pad you are using has a partially closed cell structure, which tend to not dissipate heat as well. The white foam is the only foam like this in the CCS pad line up. It does however work great for a polishing foam. When using multiple pads, you are allowing the pad to cool, and not risk the foam itself degrading due to heat.

Excessive polish build up can also increase the weight of a pad significantly. This results in the pad holding the heat even more because the pad is embedded with polish. The added weight, along with excessive heat tend to be the leading cause of pads blowing out. The link provided above written by Mike Phillips should help gauge how many pads you will need.

One thing I would recommend is turning the machine speed down significantly or turning it off before removing from the paint. If you have a hot, loaded pad, and remove pressure, that weight can increase rotation and blow a pad apart much easier. They typically look like the ones in the original picture.

cool. That's what I was going to add as that's what I did and my pad did that too ok on a rotary but not a DA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David@LakeCountry View Post

Thanks for the response David. I have a brush and additional pads and will be using them in future. You always have to learn with a new hobby. I appreciate all of the input and advice and next time pads won't be flying across the garage.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast