autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Lake Country Yellow CCS vs Cyan Hydrotech

While I have and use the yellow ccs, I'm curious about the difference in performance of these two pads. I prefer the ccs style (dimpled/grooved face) when polishing, so if it's not too great a difference, I'll keep using those, or the yellow hex logic.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lake Country Yellow CCS vs Cyan Hydrotech

Here is a chart put together by Todd Helme over on the sister site AF.
    Lake Country All Wool & Foam Comparison Chart - Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum

What machine and polishes are you using?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Mike!

I typically use a PC. I have a Flex 3401 as well, but I've found that the PC usually does what I need it to do.

Cutting polishes I typically use are M105, Ultimate Compound, and I recently picked up a bottle of M86 to experiment with.

Post Thanks / Like

Going by Todd's chart, the two are not too far off. I'll probably do well to stick with the yellow ccs then. I will definitely end up ordering a few Cyan pads to experiment with.

Post Thanks / Like

Sure thing.

If you decide to grab some pads for the 3401, grab the Hybrid pads. This pad works extremely well with the forced rotation of the machine. Also try out some Menzerna polishes with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Great Chart Mike, nice thread OP.

My 0.02$ is for you to not evaluate the Chart only for 'Cutting Power'. Foam characteristics are different.

If you read the description for each pad line you can see that Hydrotech (HT) and even the Hybrid pads (Hyb.) were develop with finishing capabilities in mind along with cutting power.

The Yellow cutting flat / CCS pad has enormous cutting, however you're very likely to follow it with a less aggressive pad / approach in order to finish properly. It's genuinely a cutting pad (no generalization, some cases are always exception). ~Like the Meguiar's Burgundy pad...

When you look at the HT line you may notice the cut is slightly above (comparing to the cutting pad), but finishing capabilities of the HT line are superior (IMO).

This may or not be a difference for you. Doing multiple steps through compounding to jeweling paint you may use any pad line from Lake Country, get what you like most. They are all quality products.

Durability of Flat / CCS (majorly) pads are they strongest attribute (again, IMO).

If you are leaning towards doing better / faster 1-steps (or even 2, but not 3!), then you should give HT or even the Hybrids a chance. I mean, they will 'try to help you' get to The Finish faster. It will not happen always, but it's more likely to happen if you use them.

For sure you can (and should, always as needed) do multiple steps with them, but they will provide a better finish even when compounding, and depending on situation, you may find enough stopping the work at the compounding step, and go to LSP (after proper oil removal, sure!) right after.

Please, do not read my words literally, there are lot of exceptions and I can't cite them all, if you have any question, please, feel free to ask.

Everything will depend on local conditions, paint being worked, products being used, your technique, etc.

Pair your pads with good polishes, preferable those that diminishes throughout polishing cycle. This 'helps the foam' to do it's role, (Again, not a Rule!, SMAT may work (and work!) as well).

Cons of HT line: Cyan (which is the best from line IMO) shreds too easy. To deal with it, I suggest you being gentle with pad brush, and switch to a new, clean pad often (this pad do not likes to be abused, like your yellow CCS pad 'likes'). Cycling through pads is good to maintain HT Cyan integrity.

Another Con: The Orange polishing pad has 'too coarse feel' for polishing soft paint, which puts you back to white pad from CCS / flat line and/or Hyb.

Cons of the Hyb. Line: Expensive, the 5" (which are the best Hybrids for the Flex 3401, IMO) should be ordered together with a backing plate system (4" and 6" kit) that's 'very expensive'.

So, that's a lot more to look into than cutting power, I hope my thoughts wasn't so confuse (I'm brazilian, and I'm in a hurry here!). Just like to try helping you out.

Let us know,

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    Sure thing.

If you decide to grab some pads for the 3401, grab the Hybrid pads. This pad works extremely well with the forced rotation of the machine. Also try out some Menzerna polishes with it.
    I really appreciate it, Mike!

I see Menzerna is releasing the new FG 300. I had my heart set on trying the 400/4500 combo though!

I'll keep that in mind for the Flex. Right now I'm really enjoying putting the PC through it's paces. It's a trooper!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Lake Country Yellow CCS vs Cyan Hydrotech

Quote Originally Posted by Tato View Post
    Great Chart Mike, nice thread OP.

My 0.02$ is for you to not evaluate the Chart only for 'Cutting Power'. Foam characteristics are different.

If you read the description for each pad line you can see that Hydrotech (HT) and even the Hybrid pads (Hyb.) were develop with finishing capabilities in mind along with cutting power.

The Yellow cutting flat / CCS pad has enormous cutting, however you're very likely to follow it with a less aggressive pad / approach in order to finish properly. It's genuinely a cutting pad (no generalization, some cases are always exception). ~Like the Meguiar's Burgundy pad...

When you look at the HT line you may notice the cut is slightly above (comparing to the cutting pad), but finishing capabilities of the HT line are superior (IMO).

This may or not be a difference for you. Doing multiple steps through compounding to jeweling paint you may use any pad line from Lake Country, get what you like most. They are all quality products.

Durability of Flat / CCS (majorly) pads are they strongest attribute (again, IMO).

If you are leaning towards doing better / faster 1-steps (or even 2, but not 3!), then you should give HT or even the Hybrids a chance. I mean, they will 'try to help you' get to The Finish faster. It will not happen always, but it's more likely to happen if you use them.

For sure you can (and should, always as needed) do multiple steps with them, but they will provide a better finish even when compounding, and depending on situation, you may find enough stopping the work at the compounding step, and go to LSP (after proper oil removal, sure!) right after.

Please, do not read my words literally, there are lot of exceptions and I can't cite them all, if you have any question, please, feel free to ask.

Everything will depend on local conditions, paint being worked, products being used, your technique, etc.

Pair your pads with good polishes, preferable those that diminishes throughout polishing cycle. This 'helps the foam' to do it's role, (Again, not a Rule!, SMAT may work (and work!) as well).

Cons of HT line: Cyan (which is the best from line IMO) shreds too easy. To deal with it, I suggest you being gentle with pad brush, and switch to a new, clean pad often (this pad do not likes to be abused, like your yellow CCS pad 'likes'). Cycling through pads is good to maintain HT Cyan integrity.

Another Con: The Orange polishing pad has 'too coarse feel' for polishing soft paint, which puts you back to white pad from CCS / flat line and/or Hyb.

Cons of the Hyb. Line: Expensive, the 5" (which are the best Hybrids for the Flex 3401, IMO) should be ordered together with a backing plate system (4" and 6" kit) that's 'very expensive'.

So, that's a lot more to look into than cutting power, I hope my thoughts wasn't so confuse (I'm brazilian, and I'm in a hurry here!). Just like to try helping you out.

Let us know,

Kind Regards.
    Excellent point, Tato! Thank you!

Finishing ability is what keeps me with the green hex logic pad. I use the 105 on it, and it finishes down nicely. It's light cutting / heavy polishing pad. I have no complaints, but I just want to experiment further. I have the entire ccs and hex logic lines, as well as the megs soft buff (my burgundy pad is from the 90's!!!), but I've been very intrigued with the HT Cyan pad. I just wish it had a ccs design on it.

I'm a little different, where I like my compounding / polishing pads to have a face design to "assist" with contains polish, increase "play time", and reduce heat build up. Also turns out that I wish I had flat pads for waxing! I feel like the designs hold too much product, and don't spread it as evenly! I know, I'm weird on this one!

I will take yours and Mike's information to heart, and thank you both for hepling! Very much appreciated!