autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wool Pad on DA?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wool Pad on DA?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Long fiber pads don't work well with tools like the Griot's Garage, Porter Cable and Meguiar's dual action polishers.

The fibers just kind of wiggle back and forth. With a direct drive tool the fibers lay down in a single direction where they will then cut the paint as well as work the abrasives against the paint.

I think Todd Helme wrote the best explanation as to why long fiber pads don't work well on dual action polishers. Maybe someone can dig it up?

This is also why Lake Country introduced the thin, short fiber version of the Purple Foamed Wool Pad and this is also why Meguiar's and other companies microfiber pads use a short fiber length as well as the Surbuf pads.

That's the kind of explanation I was looking for, appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    do a google search... ' Surbuf Pad paired with M105 and PC is a defect killer! '
    That gives me some good reading material, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by hernandez.art13 View Post
    I didn't take any 50/50 shots or before pictures and just took some quick after pictures with my cellphone after reading this thread. So sorry, but these side view mirrors were in really bad shape.

I used:

TUF Buf 3"

I am still not sure how I feel about MF pads, I really do like Wool pads on a DA when trying to get really good cut. I then just use a foam polishing pad for the polishing stage.
    Cool - this sums up my plan of action if I got some positive feedback so I'm glad to see someone else has tried it. What machine were you using with those 3 inch pads? The one pictured doesn't look familiar to me unless it's an earlier gen PC because it's so light grey. Thanks everyone!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    That's the kind of explanation I was looking for, appreciated.

That gives me some good reading material, thanks.

Cool - this sums up my plan of action if I got some positive feedback so I'm glad to see someone else has tried it. What machine were you using with those 3 inch pads? The one pictured doesn't look familiar to me unless it's an earlier gen PC because it's so light grey. Thanks everyone!
    I was using the Porter Cable.

Just like to add that it is also a good idea to listen to what other pros say btw. Especially Mike Phillips.

I just knew this combo worked since I've used it before. So do test spots and if your going to use the 3" setup and always check for heat build up, heat builds up on a DA with a 3" bp pretty fast. Also, always check with whatever combo you are using. Machine, BP, Pad, etc...

and all the machines can burn paint with improper technique, skill and knowledge. That is a myth that should be put to rest. (The PC can't burn paint myth)

I haven't tried the PC with a bigger wool pads btw, just a 3" tuf buf for PC and 6" Lake Country Hybrid Wool Pad for my Rupes 21

IMO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dpk20x View Post
    Mike I know the Tuf Buff wool pads aren't sold at Autogeek so I'm not sure how familiar you may be with them. I'm not sure if they would be considered long fiber or not. I just measured mine. Looks like the fibers are about an inch long.

And they actually work pretty good on the Rupes 15. I did a little work on my brothers car not too long ago. Didn't get as much out as I would have liked but you can see how jacked up the paint was.

And to be honest I was thinking the TB pads could work better on the GG6 as it has more power than the Rupes. I still have a few more panels to compound on my brothers car and I was gonna try out the GG6 next time to see how it worked out.
    The GG6 has more power than the Rupes? That is interesting. I know the Rupes has the significant increase in throw but thought more power was an additional feature.

I ordered a couple of 5'' TB wool pads last night. I figured $20 would be the cost of new MF pads anyway so trying it can't hurt. Those pictures you showed are very encouraging. Can you elaborate on your technique when using wool with a DA a little? Do I need to prime or use the pickup technique like you would with a rotary? Sorry for the barrage of questions.

Post Thanks / Like
    The GG6 has more power than the Rupes? That is interesting. I know the Rupes has the significant increase in throw but thought more power was an additional feature.

I ordered a couple of 5'' TB wool pads last night. I figured $20 would be the cost of new MF pads anyway so trying it can't hurt. Those pictures you showed are very encouraging. Can you elaborate on your technique when using wool with a DA a little? Do I need to prime or use the pickup technique like you would with a rotary? Sorry for the barrage of questions.
    Search forum member Richy's posting history. He has a video uploaded where he shows how he uses the TB pads. I believe it's entitled Durango scratch repair.. Or something along those lines.

Pretty much use 2 or 3 small dots of product. Spread it over your working area and work it till the product flashes and there's almost nothing to wipe off. Blow the pad out with compressed air between sections.

That's one reason I really like these pads, you use less product then the MF pads because you don't have to prime it.

Post Thanks / Like

Richy's work is what made me want to see if these pads are that good. His recs for stuff like 505 on tires have been right on the money so far. I'll take a look at that video.

That sounds like what I'm looking for. Thanks for the tips!

Post Thanks / Like
    No problem man. Good luck! Keep us posted.

If they work well with the GG6 I may just have to sell my Rupes and buy a Flex lol.

Post Thanks / Like

tuf buf + 3401 = awesome!
    I am the heir to the primo spaghetti sauce fortune

Post Thanks / Like

Update: Used the tuf buf pads on my GG6 to clean up some touch up areas and scratches. They work extremely well and cut very hard. They removed 2k grit sanding scratches with ease. They did leave significant micromarring(on black paint, what do you expect) but that finished up nicely with some Reflect.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by hernandez.art13 View Post

I used:

TUF Buf 3"

Just to comment...

When I posted about how traditionally wool pads don't work well on Porter Cable style dual action polishers I was thinking and typing in the context of larger pads. For example instead of using a 5.5" foam pad using a 5.5" wool pad or larger. In this context I don't think they work well for doing grunt work as it's too much to ask for the PC to keep the pad rotating.

Now if you move down to a 3" wool pad, then like a 3" foam pad, due to the dramatic decrease in surface area then that would probably rotate well.

It's all about pad rotation when trying to remove defects. Removing defects means removing paint and paint is removed best when a pad is rotating against the surface not just vibrating or jiggling.

I asked Eric Dunn at Lake Country about the black Tuff Buff pads and he's aware of them and told me all there's nothing unique about them it's just the wool is died black.

The description of these pads on their website talks about

The natural fibers of these pads are tapered with scales that cover each fiber shaft - nothing could be better for your paint finishes!
    Just going by the words, the word scales doesn't imply anything positive in my mind's eye when it comes to working on scratch sensitive clearcoat paints.

We carry a 4" wool cutting pad from Lake Country and I use these all the time with rotary buffers buy my guess is they will work just as good as black wool pads.

I'll order a couple and find out if there's really anything special about these pads but Eric told me there wasn't and Eric knows more about buffing pads than anyone I've ever met.

Post Thanks / Like
    Update: Used the tuf buf pads on my GG6 to clean up some touch up areas and scratches. They work extremely well and cut very hard. They removed 2k grit sanding scratches with ease. They did leave significant micromarring(on black paint, what do you expect) but that finished up nicely with some Reflect.
    Awesome. Thanks for the update. What compound did you use?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast