autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: HT pad explodes??

Quote Originally Posted by The Pad Man View Post
    If you look at the blue foam, it is cut already from backing plate and to much pressure being used. Thats called cookie cutting.

How do you prevent cookie cutting? I'm starting to get that on my white cp pads too. I don't think I'm using more than 10-15 lbs of pressure...
    I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
    ~Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all. Yes i did lift the pad when it started to balloon up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by embolism View Post
    How do you prevent cookie cutting? I'm starting to get that on my white cp pads too. I don't think I'm using more than 10-15 lbs of pressure...
    Yea me too. This was a new pad too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by embolism View Post
    I would say simply reduce the amount of pressure... The blue foam is a cushion on the pad. It help to disperse the pressure more evenly. But that means it is a little softer than the pad itself. If you are pushing hard enough to "crush" the backing plate into the foam like that then you are using more pressure than needed most likely. Another option would be to switch out to a std flat pad with out the cushion layer.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same issues, and while i have learned a bit since then and I don't seem to get this as much; I found it better to replace them once they wore our with an lc flat or ht pads as the velcro goes all the way to the edge.

As for the ballooning I feel your pain. I had this happen on a pad i just washed and thought was dry. When I lifted up to much on a cuve I sent water and product everywhere thankfully I was wearing safety glasses. Needless to say this is a mistake I try not to repeat

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Ive done that before, splattered polish all over the windshield of my daily driver.

The pad didnt balloon like that though.

Post Thanks / Like

I had M80 rain on my head from pad saturation. I originally thought my G100 was shot, but wanted to confirm rather than get a new one at the time so I sent it to Meguiar's and Mike tested it on a TNOG and it worked fine. Operator error. In the beginning I splattered more product than an abstract painter!
    Aaron's the name!
    Live long and prosper Leonard Nimoy

Post Thanks / Like

Cookie cutting is caused by too much pressure and the pad starts to curve around the backing plate, which causes the foam to start to get cut.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.