autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pads And Zip lock Bags

Quote Originally Posted by ski2 View Post
    Dawn Power Dissolver -- spray bottle at Walmart -- $2.83 Read allot of pro detailers who use it exclusively for pad cleaning--rinses out well with no residue left behind.
    I'm not trying to start any war, and this is just my opinion. The power dissolver is very strong and harsh. If you use it get it rinsed off your pads quick or it will damage the foam in you pads. I know this because I have experienced it first hand.
    It does clean pretty well .......
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Newport, Oregon USA!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rmagnus View Post
    Sure not the best practice but it works. I'd recommend cleaning the pad on the fly with a towel or brush then reprime and continue. You can also spray some detail spray on the pad to keep it moist before leaving. Obviously the plastic bag long term storage is for fully cleaned and dry pads.
    and I'll add that in my experience with storing foam pads in zip-loc bags, if the pads are even a little damp with water and stored/sealed for a long length of time, there is a tendency for the foam to rot and disintegrate while stored and may fall apart upon the next use of them. I mainly experienced this with soft finishing pads.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the OP wasn't talking about long term storage in a plastic bag. Just short term say if he goes in for dinner or to take a break to keep the pad from drying out.

As far as the Power Disolver--you could be right, but I know of at least 10 full time detailers who use it as their only pad cleaning method with no problems. I do rinse well and have had no problems however, I'm only doing 5-10 pads at a time since I'm just a "hobbyist" so for someone doing 20-30 pads at a time it might be too time consuming.

Post Thanks / Like

Pad experiment??

Anybody want to experiment?
    One tip on painting/staining decks etc was to put the brushes or foam applicators
    in a baggy and then freeze them between uses. I think they didn't even clean them, said thaw out and they are moist/ready to go.

Anyone want to try on a well worn pad and see what happens???

FYI--not responsible for any wrecked pads LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Again I don't agree. Been using DPD for years with no problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckskincolt View Post
    I'm not trying to start any war, and this is just my opinion. The power dissolver is very strong and harsh. If you use it get it rinsed off your pads quick or it will damage the foam in you pads. I know this because I have experienced it first hand.
    It does clean pretty well .......

Post Thanks / Like
    Back from the dead...I'm a noob and started my first detail today. A recovery of a bad detail job by a professional.

Based on my schedule, there is no way I can finish my detail in one day. I am wondering if I could keep them in a sealed plastic Baggie in the refrigerator. I do this with paint rollers all the time. I will let them warm to room temp before using

These are the Meguiars microfiber correction kit pads.

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rdfkentucky View Post
    Can the foam pads be stored in a zip lock bag? What I mean is if I had to leave to go eat supper, and don't have time to clean it out, can it be keep from drying out till I get back, would this be ok?
    Somehow, it seems the context of the question got missed by some. It appears you're were talking short term pad storage, i.e., going to eat when the wife calls, or miss out on supper.

The answer to your question in the context you asked it is: Sure, why not (a statement and not a question). You're only going to leave the pad in the bag while you eat, or run downtown for about the same time frame. Place it in a ziplock and seal it up, then place in the shade. It should be just as you left it when you get back.

In fact, a pad moist from compound/polish/sealant/wax, provided it is sealed tightly and placed out of direct sunlight, should remain moist for 1-2 hours and perhaps longer. It's the same principle as painters doing this with brushes and rollers. If you tightly wrap Suran Wrap around a pad that is moist it can stay that way for days on end. Of course, I wouldn't recommend that because it would simply be easier to just clean the pad and put it away. But, it seems you were talking short term storage, like going to lunch or something, and you will be fine. If in doubt 1-2 sprays of a quick detailer can moisten the pad even more.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl3 View Post
    if the pads are moist, wet or even damp, you shouldn't put them in a sealed ziploc bag as they will most likely grow mold over time. if they are completely dry then it should be fine...

I had this happen recerntly, some APC took car of it. They were LC Flat 5.5" pads, first time it ever happend.
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SubieMonte View Post
    Based on my schedule, there is no way I can finish my detail in one day.

These are the Meguiars microfiber correction kit pads.

Thank you!
    Just spray them with some APC and throw them in the washing machine at the end of the day. Spin them dry with your polisher and place them face down (backing side up) to dry on a grit guard or something. Minimal effort and the pads will be perfectly clean for your next use.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like
    APC like Simple Green? I tossed them in the wash last night with some laundry soap. I don't think they cleaned up very well. I reprimed before starting again tonight using a Harbor Freight DA and got dust everywhere. The HFDA is more powerful than the PC7336 I have been using. Not sure if it was leftover product or if I was overheating the product. So frustrated

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12