autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

The white foam pad that comes with a Porter Cable Polisher

The white foam pad that comes with a Porter Cable Polisher

For years I've seen people post questions about the white foam buffing pad that comes with a Porter Cable DA Polisher and I've also seen some confusion over whether or not a person needs to order a dedicated backing plate with the tool?

So here's the skinny, the white pad in the box,

• Is a Polishing Pad, not a cutting pad or a finishing pad
    • Has a fixed backing plate that is glued to the foam, it cannot be detached and used with other pads
    • Measures approximately 6" in diameter and is 1.5" thick

Porter Cable 7424XP brand new in the box...

Here's the included white foam polishing pad...

Here's the glued-on plastic backing plate...

The pad comes with a compression washer, if you choose to use the pad, be sure to include the compression washer

Here's a 5.5" Lake Country Flat pad side by side with the factory pad to show how thick the factory PC pad is compared to a 7/8" thin pad.

Here's the 5.5" LC Flat Pad with a Lake Country 5" backing plate attached

Here's another shot to show the differences...

Make sure the compression washer is installed on the threaded stud before attaching to the spindle of the Porter Cable DA Polisher

The pad is approximately 6" in diameter...

The factory included pad is 1 1/2" thick...

Question: Can I use the included foam polishing pad with my Porter Cable 7424XP

Answer: Yes but sooner or later you're going to need more pads and in order to use other pads you're also going to need a dedicated backing plate.

Question: What can the factory included foam pad be used for?

Answer: The foam used for this pad is a firm polishing pad, it's not as aggressive as a foam cutting pad or as gentle as a soft finishing pad. Polishing pads can be used to remove medium to shallow swirls and scratches, oxidation and water spots They can also be used to apply a one-step cleaner wax. Some people will take the factory included foam pad and place a clean, dry microfiber bonnet over it and use to remove dried wax.

Question: Can I wash the factory included pad and use it again?

Answer: Yes, kind of by hand in a sink or in a bucket of water but because the backing plate is glued on you have to be careful you don't loosen the adhesion between the plastic backing plate and the foam which could cause problems should it detach while you're buffing. The glued on backing plate will also make it harder to wash and rinse the pad by hand.

Big Picture - Get a dedicated backing plate and a collection of buffing pads
    Most people discard the pad and when purchasing the Porter Cable 7424XP they go ahead and purchase a dedicated backing plate and a supply of buffing pads and by doing this they can instantly get to work buffing out their favorite car.

If you're going to order a Porter Cable 7424XP then start out the right way and invest in a backing plate and a collection of foam pads. If you're going to be removing swirls, scratches, water spots and oxidation it's a good idea to get a variety of pads so you can match the pad to the job you're doing. A good starter collection would include foam cutting pads, polishing pads and waxing or finishing pads.

Autogeek offers a variety of pre-configured kits on the Autogeek Store website or you can call Customer Care and they can help you build a tailor made kit specific to your polishing needs.

On Autogeek.net

Porter Cable 7424XP

From left to right...

Lake Country 5" DA Backing Plate

Meguiars W67DA G110 DA Polisher 5 inch Backing Plate

The Black Dual Action 5 Inch HD Backing Plate

Lake Country 5.5" Foam Buffing Pads

Lake Country 5.5" Flat Pads

Lake Country 5.5" CCS Pads

Lake Country Hydro-Tech Low Profile 5 1/2 x 7/8 Inch Foam Pads

Video: Mark your backing plate to make it easy to see pad rotation

Questions? Call 1-800-869-3011

Mike Phillips

Re: The white foam pad that comes with a Porter Cable Polisher

Resources

The Art of Detailing how-to book includes step by step directions on how to use a DA Polisher to remove swirls, scratches, water spots and oxidation to create a show car finish.

Paperback

E-book
    (Displayed on iPad - iPad not included)

Mike Phillips' The Art Of Detailing Audio Book

Mike Phillips' Principles of Machine Polishing

Brand new DVD's on how to detail your car, all include using the Porter Cable 7424XP

How to Properly Use the Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher
    Learn how to polish and protect your vehicle with the user-friendly Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher. Mike Phillips walks you through the essential steps to maintaining a smooth, glossy finish with this machine. The techniques you learn are transferable to many other 6 inch dual action polishers.

In this DVD, Mike discusses pad selection, polish application, how to make a section pass, and how to apply wax with your PC, plus many more tips developed through Mike's years of experience detailing cars.

Mike Phillips is our Director of Training at Autogeek. He teaches machine polishing classes here in the Autogeek Show Car Garage several times a year, where detailers learn the techniques you'll see in this video. Now you can bring Mike into your own garage with this DVD, "How to Properly Use the Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher."

Pinnacle Complete Car Care System Instructional How-to DVD

The Pinnacle Natural Brilliance How-To DVD has been updated with the latest techniques. Mike Phillips and special guest Matt Steele demonstrate how to use Pinnacle products to create a sizzling shine.

Wolfgang Concours Series Instructional How-To DVD

The Wolfgang Concours Series Instructional DVD, hosted by Mike Phillips and Bruno Massel, walks you through the products and processes that will give your vehicle a head-turning gloss and unbeatable protection. The DVD demonstrates every step of the detailing process in full color and sound. You can see exactly what products are used with what tools.

Pinnacle XMT Series Instructional DVD

Learn how to maintain a like-new finish with the XMT Series Instructional DVD hosted by Mike Phillips and Matt Steele. In this video, Mike and Matt demonstrate how XMT products clean, polish, and protect your vehicle's surfaces. You'll learn proper application techniques, the correct sequence of product use, and what tools to use.

Post Thanks / Like

Great info Mike. Always wondered what that white pad was good for. The black washer that comes with the backing plates in the pictures above do you leave that on? I have always left them on...Is that the same as the compression washer you are talking about?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by bmwgeek View Post
    Great info Mike. Always wondered what that white pad was good for. The black washer that comes with the backing plates in the pictures above do you leave that on? I have always left them on...Is that the same as the compression washer you are talking about?

Great question and the answer is "yes"

The Compression Washer

Normally you would slide the compression washer over the threaded portion of the backing plate and then align this to the spindle on the polisher and tighten together.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought it was used for removing wax with a microfiber bonnet on top of it to hahhaa

bmwgalore

Quote Originally Posted by Stride View Post
    I thought it was used for removing wax with a microfiber bonnet on top of it to hahhaa
    Yes, it sure can be used that way.

I've cut the pad in 2 parts to make some good tire gel pads.. Works great.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Stride View Post
    Yes, that is a popular use for the box, stock white pad that comes with the tool. I though I mentioned it in the thread but apparently left that little tidbit out. I have an article on that technique here,

How to use a microfiber bonnet to remove dried wax by machine

And show the technique in this video,

Video: How to remove shallow RIDS and how to machine apply both a paint sealant and a finishing wax

Quote Originally Posted by bmwgalore View Post

I've cut the pad in 2 parts to make some good tire gel pads.. Works great.

And there you go...

Mike Phillips

***Bump***

Just got off the phone with a guy new to discussion forums asking about the white foam pad that came with his polisher.

Rich, hopefully you found this as it would have went to the top of "Recent Threads" like we discussed.

Discussion forums are powerful sources for information. Do a little reading and consider joining...

How To Register with the Autogeek Discussion Forum

How to start a new thread & How to reply to an existing thread

Post Thanks / Like

It works pretty well for cleaning a stainless steel sink with metal polish. That's the only use I ever found for it.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello. New guy, old thread, Question.

Would it be of any use for polishing my chrome bumpers on my truck? They're not pitted, only dirty. I was wondering if I could just use that pad as the stand alone, only use pad, for a polishing/cleaner/wax for my chromed bumpers? I'm buying other pads for the rest of the truck, would a different type pad be better served for this?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast