autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Foam pad absorbs too much wax

First time use of the G110v2 today. The wash, clay, and polish (UC) all went fine. But when I started applying NXT v1, I noticed the SOFTBUFF FINISHING PAD (W9006 6.5 in.) absorbed a lot of wax.

The car was in the shade cool about 60 degrees, no wind, perfect detailing conditions. I had the DA set to speed 2 then 3. Started with a little extra NXT to get the pad started. Then used X and O shape beads on the pad. Light down force, faster hand movement, and double the polishing work space. When I was done with the hood and roof I can tell the pad was absorbing a lot wax. It was starting to prevent the pad from rotating. I had let the DA glide (little to no down force) over the surface so the pad would still spin. In some areas it looks like the foam pad picked up all the wax I applied. I still finished the job but I felt I used a lot more wax than I normally do.

When I took the pad off, I can feel it was a lot heavier and a bit saturated in the center. Now when I apply wax I don't clean the pads like I do when I'm polishing. Although this is my first use of a DA, I've been a long time orbital user with bonnets. So what is causing the pad to soak up so much wax? Is it my technique or the pad?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Foam pad absorbs too much wax

If I'm not mistaking, NXT is slightly abrasive so you may have been loading the pad with old wax or stuff that did not come off the car during washing. Was the car stripped of old lsp before you buffed nxt on it?
    Jon Miles

Post Thanks / Like

You are over saturating the pad by using way to much wax. Also when apply a LSP via DA you should not be using any pressure, only the weight of the machine. Mike Stoops gave a great demonstrated on how much NXT it takes to cover an entire car with a DA and W9XXX pad.

Give this thread a good read over. You will see how much wax he applies to the pad and how much surface area it covers. This doesnt apply to just NXT but pretty much all liquid LSP's.

Pictures from Thursday Night Open Garage - September 30th, 2010 - Page 2 - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online

Note: There are no abrasives in NXT.
    Alan T.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks. Fresh off of Megs knowledge base forums. I'm going to have to look over that post very thoroughly.

Follow up question for my next pad purchase:

From your experience, are there any polishing and finish pads out there that are designed/engineered to absorb less polish and wax? The LC CSS pads makes claims they keep more polish on the pad surface rather than absorbing it into the pad.