autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Issue with Lake Country Hydro-tech Cyan pad

So a few weeks ago I bought The Cyan cutting foam, Finally got a chance to use it today worked great with the Megs #105 also first time using it what a beautiful finish it left behind.
    Car was severely...
    Well here are some pics
    Before.

After.

An 3rd pass.

The after affects of automatic carwashes, all from the previous owner of the car.. Car still needs a lot of Correction, Megs#205 is to be applied tomorrow..

But back to the point, the CYAN pad first time being used it didnt really hold up it literally started to fall a part.
    Top pad is Finessing pad Bottom is the Cyan pad.

Anyone else run into this?
    Maybe it was the #105 but i found it to be better then the Orange pad..

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Issue with Lake Country Hydro-tech Cyan pad

Welcome to the life of HT pads. They are excellent pads when considering the correction you achieve with them. The edge looks like you may have caught something a little sharp. This happened to me when I didn't tape the corner of a closed door and thought I would be ok, well I wasn't and it chewed up my pad like yours.

Now I have a couple of questions. What is the black/gray on the pad? Is it dirt or paint? How much of an area did you correct when you took this picture? If you only corrected the quarter panel then you have way too much product on your pad. Stay tuned for more comments from the crew.
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rwright View Post
    Welcome to the life of HT pads. They are excellent pads when considering the correction you achieve with them. The edge looks like you may have caught something a little sharp. This happened to me when I didn't tape the corner of a closed door and thought I would be ok, well I wasn't and it chewed up my pad like yours.

Now I have a couple of questions. What is the black/gray on the pad? Is it dirt or paint? How much of an area did you correct when you took this picture? If you only corrected the quarter panel then you have way too much product on your pad. Stay tuned for more comments from the crew.
    The black on the pad is just PLAIN dirt! Towards the end i figured the pad was done for, so i decided to go for the splash guards and right under the door jams.
    The Whole Car was corrected then the pic was taken, front to back top to bottom, It was on a Audi A8L its bigger than full size car.
    Here is a pic of the car no Correction was done yet. If you notice under the doors there is colored panel that is visible that was where the pad was used last, but it had been torn up before that.

Post Thanks / Like

You did the whole car with one pad? Did you clean it at all? The first time I used the HT pads I only made it through half the car before the pad was finished. I was very hard on the pad though. We are talking speed 6 on a pc xp and heavy pressure. Now when I do a car I just assume it's going to take 2-3 cyan and 2-3 tangerine pads. If it doesn't require that then great! I'm very new to machine polishing so I don't have a technique yet. We have lots of skilled personnel here that will chime in I'm sure.
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Post Thanks / Like

I would use at least 6-7 cyan, and 4-5 tangerine pads on that car...Spray them w/ Dawn PD, throw 'em in a bucket of APC+ and water to soak as I change 'em out and clean 'em thoroughly and set 'em up on grit guards to dry when I'm done. I know that many clean on the fly, but I don't. When the pad is spent I change it out for a new one...
    Signature Car Care... Authorized CQuartz Finest Installer
    http://www.signaturecarcare.com/
    "May the shine be with you" Uncle Stu

Post Thanks / Like

Oh wow! That's a lot of pads!! I'm just a novice at this so I really don't have a huge supply of products ex.. Pads! 2 orange 2 white 2 black 1 finnessing -1 Cyan..

So what pad should I use with the Megs#205

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2kredbb6 View Post
    Oh wow! That's a lot of pads!! I'm just a novice at this so I really don't have a huge supply of products ex.. Pads! 2 orange 2 white 2 black 1 finnessing -1 Cyan..

So what pad should I use with the Megs#205
    It depends on what you are working on, and how many steps you are going to do. However white or black is generally a good choice.
    Signature Car Care... Authorized CQuartz Finest Installer
    http://www.signaturecarcare.com/
    "May the shine be with you" Uncle Stu

Post Thanks / Like

Well after the #205 I'll use Klasse HGS.
    An top it off with the Pinnacle Signature Series 2 (its Perfect on Black paint) after a 12 hour cure time of course.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2kredbb6 View Post
    The black on the pad is just PLAIN dirt!
    Was the car thoroughly clayed before you started polishing? That seems like an awful lot of dirt if the car was clean...unless it's a tinted clear coat or something.

Also, for defects that are that bad, I would HIGHLY suggest Surbuf pads. Doing many passes with a compound is much too time consuming. You could probably get by just making 4-6 section passes with a surbuf pad/M105 and get most all of those defects out. You could do more section passes if you wanted since M105 uses SMAT.
    2009 Summit White Cobalt SS/TC SOLD
    2007 Black Cobalt LT - Daily Driver

Post Thanks / Like

If you read my 3rd post, all the dirt is from the Splash Guards an the colored panels under the doors, an yes I did not clay those parts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast