autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3.5" Backing Plates and 4" Spot Repair Pads on DA Polishers

In my experience, higher speeds and the edge of a body panel will blow up these smaller pads.

My old 7424 destroyed a couple.

They were not wet, saturated with polish or overheated...just too much rotational speed.

One was on the edge of a wheel well. The other was in the license plate area.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rohnramirez View Post
    Is there a thinner version of these pads? They still appear to be too thick, but that's just my opinion.

Thanks for sharing Mike.
    You can buy a thinner version of the 3" LC HT pads from CarPro. For thinner 4" pads, check out CG Hex Logic Self Centering pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    In my experience, higher speeds and the edge of a body panel will blow up these smaller pads.

They were not wet, saturated with polish or overheated...just too much rotational speed.

My porter with 4" pads has destroyed dozens of 4" pads. I don't believe its the rotational speed. Its the oscillations and the rotations together that just strip the pads apart. The center of the 4" pads always collapse while the outer edge will blow open.

I just use rotary w/ a 4" pad for spot correction now. I just wish they made a smaller rotary machine.
    OCD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Yes, I use 4" pads on rotary buffers all the time.

Yes, most of the tight areas can be handled using a 4" pad. If not then there's always these,

Surgical Buffing

Working on thin panels or intricate areas is what I call surgical buffing. In order to do surgical buffing you need the right tools.

We have these new 3" pads and together with a 3" backing plate and an adapter for using double side pads but I use them as an extension.

Yep. I've just recently figured this out as I had that backing plate that I was originally using for 4" LC pads then realized I could use the spot 3" pads from my griots mini to make a super mini rotary combo.

I just have ONE complaint. It seems like the pad conditioning brush along with the high torque of the rotary along with such a small pad completely destroy these little pads. Would it be possible to make these pads with rounded edges? The edges get chewed up by the pad conditioning brush.

Another question I've always had is how come the LC 4" pads don't come in flat? Never been a massive fan of CCS pads.
    OCD

Post Thanks / Like

I had great success surgical buffing with the flex 4inch backing plate using Hydrotech pads

3.5" Backing Plates and 4" Spot Repair Pads on DA Polishers-imageuploadedbyagonline1444794887-778858-jpg

Haven't used any other machine yet but god damn the 3401 is a beast!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3.5" Backing Plates and 4" Spot Repair Pads on DA Polishers-imageuploadedbyagonline1444794800-652731-jpg  

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

On the backing plate, there is a concave washer that seems to be for locking purposes.

What is the correct orientation of that washer between the polisher and the backing plate?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123