autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 5 1/2 in flat pads backing

You are guys are putting too much pressure on the pad with the da and creating excessive heat which in turn loosens the glue. This also causes the dimple in the pads. If you need to use that much pressure either move up to something more aggressive in product or learn how to use a rotary.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually had this problem also with the dimple with my orange pads... but not the unglued backing.

I had issues with minor ticks left after my 2nd pass with white pads and ssr1. I did manage to correct my technique by applying more pressure (enough to slow the pad spinning by about 50% - 75%) and got absolutely stunning results. I previously thought this was to much pressure.

Dana does this sound like to much pressure? I'd hate to keep chewing through pads but I can't deny it finished out better then any of my previous jobs.

I also am considering switchign to Hydrotech pads for the increased firmness hoping to be able to back off on the pressure and get the same results (just waiting for the new ones being tested to go up on AG). Does this sound reasonable or is my logic flawed?

Post Thanks / Like

i dont think my glue problem came from to much pressure, i dont use much pressure at all. I think mine are just a bad batch since it was only the white ones that are coming unglued
    Last edited by thatick; 04-05-2010 at 09:42 AM. Reason: re wording of post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ASPHALT ROCKET View Post

You are guys are putting too much pressure on the pad with the da and creating excessive heat which in turn loosens the glue.

I have never had a pad delaminate. I have had chunks of foam fall of off pads, I've seen the infamous dimple that is spoken of, I have actually had a pad cut by the backing plate around the circumference, the same exact size of the backing plate from excessive use, force/heat, and I have never had a pad delaminate.

The OP has used the pads one bloody time, and have delaminated. On the other hand, I have 4-5 pads that have been used to the fullest extent possible, were used very hard, and have NOT delaminated. The OP' pads are clearly defective.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm, I have three 5.5" white pads delivered in January that I haven't used yet - hope they will be OK as it's way too late to exchange.

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll keep a close watch on them as I use them next month!

Regards,
    GEWB
    Linux Reg. User #206357 (Feb. '99)
    "Can't get there from here."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thatick View Post

I got 3 new white ones that i just used once and the backing is already coming off after one wash.

Update?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mirror Detailing View Post
    Each of them developed a huge dimple in the middle of the pad with the first car I used them on.
    Same thing happened to me with orange pads and the griot's DA. I thought it might have been an isolated problem, but I guess not.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...w-version.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fly bye View Post

Update?

I just got a shipping update on replacement pads. After autogeeks techs looked at pics of the pads, they placed a replacement order for me. The white pads went on BO at that time, so im assuming the whole lot was bad and they were waiting for replacements from their supplier. Ill test the new pads out as soon as i receive them and report back. But thanks goes to Autogeek for taking care of the issue!!

Post Thanks / Like

I dont think this is a matter of heat, I have had 2 red flat pads have the backing seperate. One of them fell apart while applying Sig Series II wax with my PC on speed 3. The other one I noticed was starting to fall apart after washing it in a bucket. Both were free bonus's with other purchases so I didnt complain, but it helped me decide not to purchase those pads in the future.

I also had one white ccs 6.5 pad start to fall apart after approximately 1.5 hours of intermitten use.(polish w/PC on speed 5 with M205 for ~2-3 minutes, turn off, apply more product, polish another 2-3 minutes, turn off and clean pad........repeat)

I am currently looking into the hydrotech pads.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12