autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: pad cleaning

Post Thanks / Like

Re: pad cleaning

Quote Originally Posted by termigator View Post
    Thanks for the offer Jay. I would love to get the Grit Guard, but financially it's just not in the cards right now. That's a big snook BTW. How big?
    Four dinners for two big! LOL! (Actually I don't remember the size of the snook. Probably should update my avatar!)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I assume using one pad for an entire car is bad. With that in mind how often should I clean the pad while detailing? Also how do I know when to clean it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SgtDeckard View Post
    I assume using one pad for an entire car is bad. With that in mind how often should I clean the pad while detailing? Also how do I know when to clean it?
    I ordered the grit gaurd pad washer. Should be here by the weekend. I have the same basic question. How do you know when or how often to you clean the pads? I assume that it differs depending on pad density and product being used. What I have been doing is changing pads after each panel.

How many buffing cycles are most of you completing before cleaning/changing pads? I am using CCS pads now. Plan to buy some flat pads next sale or BOGO.
    Kevin
    Griots Garage 6in ROP, 3in ROP, pneumatic 3in polisher
    Flex 3401, Porter Cable PC7424 (the old non-XP model).

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by SgtDeckard View Post
    Umm... not really, depends upon what you're doing. If I was cutting a car using a wool pad on a rotary I would use one pad for the entire cutting process as long as it wasn't worn out before I started in the first place.

If you're talking about using a foam pad on a Flex 3401 or a PC or a Cyclo, then it's going to be faster and a more efficient use of your time to have more pads for the heavy cleaning or correcting step.

How to tell when it's time to clean our pad?

If you look at the face of the pad and you see a build-up of spent product and removed paint, then it's time to clean the pad.

If you're working on finish that is severely neglected, then clean your pad often.

What is the definition of the word often?

1. After each application of product
    After every other application of product

I usually do the second option unless it's really hot outside and my pads are gunking-up easily and making the actual buffing process difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4 Shelby View Post
    How do you know when or how often to you clean the pads?
    Did the above help?

p.s.

Is gunking-up a word?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

Did the above help?

p.s.

Is gunking-up a word?

Yes and I think so.

I am not really seeing "gunking up" in the sense that there is a crust of product on the edges of the pad. The pad seems to start to drag a little. It doesn't even seem to be saturated. When I take it off the polisher, it gets a little built up product on the surface of the pad. I was actually doing 4 or 5 buffing cycles before changing pads. Now that I will have a pad cleaner (as of Thurs), I will clean every 2 or 3 buffing cycles.

Honestly that seems like a lot of cleaning, but, I will try it to see if the pads last a little longer.

Follow up question: How many cleanings before you change pads?
    Kevin

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4 Shelby View Post
    Yes and I think so.

I was actually doing 4 or 5 buffing cycles before changing pads. Now that I will have a pad cleaner (as of Thurs), I will clean every 2 or 3 buffing cycles.

Honestly that seems like a lot of cleaning, but, I will try it to see if the pads last a little longer.

Follow up question: How many cleanings before you change pads?
    How often you clean you pad will really be specific to your buffing style and what you're working on and the product itself. The key thing to do is to turn your polisher over and look at the pad, if you see built up product on it then clean it off, or at least clean it to suit your style.

I was always taught to work clean and as a results I always promote that idea to others as it reduces all kinds of other problems. So just use good judgment and you'll find a protocol that works for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike. Looking forward to playing with my new pad washer.
    Kevin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12