autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

Lake Country 8.5 inch Hook & Loop DuroWool Twisted 100% Wool Aggressive Cutting Pads

Lake Country 8.5 inch Hook & Loop DuroWool Twisted 100% Wool Aggressive Cutting Pads

Copyright ©PBMA - Autogeekonline.net® All Rights Reserved

Classification:Cutting Pad
    Yarn: 100% Twisted Wool
    Pile Length: One inch
    Cut: Very Aggressive
    Working Face of Pad Diameter: 7 1/2 inches
    Tool: Rotary Buffer
    Attachment: Hook & Loop Interface
    Backing Plate Surface Diameter: 6 inches
    Recommended Backing Plate Size: 6 inches

Purpose: Removing deep below surface paint defects. Removing sanding marks after wet-sanding.

Method of Cleaning: Spur or Pad Washer

Lake Country’s Wool Cutting Pad is made of 100% wool twisted into hundreds of individual strands. The tight twisting allows the pad to operate at a consistent level of aggressiveness for longer periods. The pad has a diameter of 7.5 inches but the thick pile gives it an overall diameter of 8 inches. The Wool Cutting Pad is intended for severe swirls, scratches and heavy oxidation.

On the Autogeek.net Store
    Lake Country 8.5 inch DuroWool Twisted 100% Wool Aggressive Cutting Pad

On the left is the 41-005 7.5 inch pad, on the right hand side is the 41-005 8.5 inch pad. Note the difference in overall size..

Working Face of Pad Diameter = 8.5 inches

1 1/2 inch Pile Lenght

Outer edge pile length trimeed to 1 1/4 inch

This is what the twist looks like when a pad states it's a twisted wool pad. You can see groups of yarn fibers are twisted together with other groups of yarn fibers to created a single strand of twisted yarn fibers. This is the most aggressive design of yarn fibers and this makes for the most aggressive design of wool buffing pads.

The center section is left void of yarn to help prevent swirls.

The longer the pile, the easier it is for the twised yarn fibers to lay down horizontally against the pad as your work the pad. This ability to lay down makes the pad less aggressive than a shorter pile buffing pad.

On the left is the 41-005 7.5 inch pad, on the right hand side is the 41-005 8.5 inch pad. Note the difference in lenght of yarn fiber.

The Backing Plate Surface Diameter = 7 inches
    Last edited by Meghan; 12-22-2009 at 10:13 AM.

Mike Phillips

Re: Lake Country 8.5 inch Hook & Loop DuroWool Twisted 100% Wool Aggressive Cutting Pads

Lake Country 7 inch Hook & Loop Rotary Flexible Backing Plate

Snug fit is correct.

Rotary buffers use a 5/8" diameter spindle with an 11 pitch thread. This is a industry standard so all rotary backing plates with 5/8 Inside Diameter threads will attach to 5/8" Outside Diameter spindles.

Backing plates are attached by spinning the backing plate onto the spindle in a clock direction as you're looking down on the face of the buffing pad and the rotary buffing is laing on it's backside.

An aggressive cutting pad of this size is able to tackle large sections quickly.

3M Hookit™ 7 Inch Rotary Backing Plate

Note the tall rigid cone-shaped extension for the 3M-05717

This 3M backing plate is quite flexible

Fit is snug inside the Lake Country 8.5 inch DuroWool Twisted 100% Wool Aggressive Cutting Pads

3M Perfect-It 7 inch Rotary Backing Plate
    The 3M Perfect-It 7 Inch Rotary Backing Plate is built to last with a durable plastic body and strong gripping hook and loop fasteners. Use this backing plate with 3M Perfect-It Foam Polishing Pad on any polisher with a 5/8 inch shaft. The 3M Perfect-It 7 Inch Rotary Backing Plate has a rounded edge to prevent contact with the paint. The backing plate is lightweight and well-balanced to provide smoother operation.

The Perfect-It Backing Plate has a much lower profile than the Hookit Backing Plate.

I placed them one on top of the other to show you the difference.

All three of these backing plates are standard 7" diameter backing plate and can be used with any buffing pad, wool or foam that has a 7 inch diameter hook and loop interface

After spinning a backing plate onto the spindle of a rotary buffer, press the Spindle Lock button to lock the gears in place and then you can lightly tighten the backing plate onto the spindle.

I use my thumb to help center the backing plated into the back of this style of wool buffing pad with the goal being to attach the buffing pad as centered or true to the backing plate as possible.

Mike Phillips

Re: Lake Country 8.5 inch Hook & Loop DuroWool Twisted 100% Wool Aggressive Cutting Pads

Mike Phillips

Cleaning the Lake Country 8.5 inch DuroWool 100% Twisted Aggressive Wool Cutting Pad

The best way to clean or remove built-up compound and polish residue as well as removed paint from a wool cutting pad is to use a pad washer. Currently there are two models of pad washers on the market, the Autogeek System 2000 Pad Washer and the Grit Guard Universal Pad Washer. Bot have unique design features and benefits.

The Lake Country System 2000 Pad Washer
    This pad washer works with rotary buffers for cleaning either wool or foam buffing pads. It uses a 9 plastic gears, one of which drives a water pump to infect cleaning solution into the face of any buffing pad to help loosen and remove residues off the pad. Eight other plastic gears act to gently agitate and loosen product as well as fluff the yarn fibers of wool buffing pads.

If you look in the pictures below you'll see a gray colored larger gear separate from the smaller black gears. This gray gear drives a water pump which pumps cleaning solution up and into the wool pad when the buffer RPM's are revved up as it is the buffing pad rotating in the pad washer that drives the gear.

To clean a wool buffing pad simply place the face of the buffing pad inside the pad washer and against the plastic gears. Next close the splash guards and then bring the buffer up to a slow RPM. As you run the buffer, slowly move the buffer in a small clockwise motion to insure all areas of the face of the buffing pad are cleaned well.

After a few minutes lift the buff up so the face of the buffing pad is no longer in contact with the gears and bring the RPM's up to zing out any excess water and cleaning solution.

The Grit Guard Universal Pad Washer
    This pad washer can be used with all types of buffers and polishers both air powered or electric. It works well with both wool pads and foam pads.

Inside are 4 spring loaded water cups and a Grit Guard Insert, (yellow component), and a Grit Guard Extension, (little black component in the middle of yellow Grit Guard Insert).

To clean a pad, simply place the buffing pad into the Grit Guard Pad Washer and close the Splash Guard. Then bring the RPM's up to a slow speed and at the same time, push the face of the buffing pad against the Grit Guard Insert and use a pumping motion to push the Grit Guard Insert against the spring loaded cups and this will activate the spring loaded cups to pump cleaning solution into the face of the buffing pad.

Then after a few minutes, lift the polisher up and bring the RPM's up to zing out any excess water.

On the Autogeek.net Store
    Autogeek System 2000 Pad Washer for Rotary Polishers

Grit Guard Universal Pad Washer

Citrus Based Pad Cleaning Solution

Snappy Clean Pad Cleaning Powder - 3 Pack

Post Thanks / Like

Great information, Mike! But I would NOT use a 8,5" wool pad with the Flex rotary, it can barly handle 6.5".

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by porta View Post
    Great information, Mike! But I would NOT use a 8,5" wool pad with the Flex rotary, it can barly handle 6.5".
    Which Flex are you talking about?

There's two Flex Rotary Buffers listed above, a full size and a lightweight. I've used large pads with the lightweight and after doing so I'm limited my use of the lightweight rotary buffer to small pads and if you search my posting history you'll see that's what I recommend also.

You can however use the larger size pads with the full size Flex.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Which Flex are you talking about?

There's two Flex Rotary Buffers listed above, a full size and a lightweight. I've used large pads with the lightweight and after doing so I'm limited my use of the lightweight rotary buffer to small pads and if you search my posting history you'll see that's what I recommend also.

You can however use the larger size pads with the full size Flex.

Sorry Mike, I only saw the 3403, wich is the small one
    The full size Flex is a workhorse

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by porta View Post
    Sorry Mike, I only saw the 3403, which is the small one
    The full size Flex is a workhorse
    No problemo... the above thread is a little picture and content heavy... it's easy to miss something...