autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Griots BOSS Pads - Orange vs. Yellow

Hey guys,

Let's say I used an AIO like HD Speed with the Griots BOSS Orange pads - could I go straight to a wax/sealant from here? Or would I need to follow up with the BOSS Yellow pads before going to a wax/sealant?

As someone who only does this every so often, I'm trying to eliminate cost and steps where I can.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griots BOSS Pads - Orange vs. Yellow

Yes...

Purpose of AIO is to correct and seal paint all at one time and then you are done. Can you use either the orange pad for harder paint or the yellow if paint on the softer side.
    This is where doing a test spot helps which pad to use.

Now if you want---you can wax or apply sealant but with a softer pad. Can either be the finishing pad, wax pad or whatever. Need only 2 or 3 pads.

You can top Speed with wax or sealant right after applying speed or you can wait couple months then clean the paint and then seal it.
    Both are ways will work depending the time you have.

I probably would seal it in 2 or 3 months since the protection from Speed begins to wear off.

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

Assuming that either the orange or yellow pad along with the AIO provides the level of defect correction desired, I'd choose the yellow first. If I only had the orange pads, I'd use them.

Try it.

Do a test spot with the orange pad you have and look at the results. If the finish meets your expectations then you could certainly top that with any pure wax of your choice.

If you're not really satisfied with the finish the orange pad is providing, then try the yellow or even black pad.

4. Likes TMQ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TMQ View Post
    Yes...

Purpose of AIO is to correct and seal paint all at one time and then you are done. Can you use either the orange pad for harder paint or the yellow if paint on the softer side.
    This is where doing a test spot helps which pad to use.

Now if you want---you can wax or apply sealant but with a softer pad. Can either be the finishing pad, wax pad or whatever. Need only 2 or 3 pads.

You can top Speed with wax or sealant right after applying speed or you can wait couple months then clean the paint and then seal it.
    Both are ways will work depending the time you have.

I probably would seal it in 2 or 3 months since the protection from Speed begins to wear off.

Tom
    I figured I could do HD Speed with white or orange BOSS pads (test spot to see what works best) and then top off with some Collinite 845 on a soft pad (I have some blue and black LC flat pads that could be used for this)

Thanks for the feedback

6. Likes TMQ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    Assuming that either the orange or yellow pad along with the AIO provides the level of defect correction desired, I'd choose the yellow first. If I only had the orange pads, I'd use them.

Try it.

Do a test spot with the orange pad you have and look at the results. If the finish meets your expectations then you could certainly top that with any pure wax of your choice.

If you're not really satisfied with the finish the orange pad is providing, then try the yellow or even black pad.
    Thanks for the feedback. I have some white and orange BOSS pads and was planning to order some more of both. I suppose I could order some yellow pads as well. The problem is I need a lot of pads (this will be for an airplane) and I’m trying to cut cost and steps where I can. I would like to have at least 10+ pads.

Maybe I ought to go with orange and yellow pads instead of white. Tough to say until I lay eyes on the paint.

8. Likes TMQ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

3D Speed will leave a bit of protection behind and you can certainly top it with another LSP for durability.

The question of which pad to use... it really depends on what your goal is and the condition of the paint. 3D Speed has some correction ability but it is mainly use for paint enhancement in most cases.

When use as a glaze for paint enhancement, it allows the user to get around the project in a relatively short time and hence the word... Speed. To correct light swirls... I would recommend using the orange pad but you do most likely will have to use more slower passes and limit the working area to a small area (2' x 2'). Unfortunately, this will take a lot more time.

If you are going to invest that much time then it might be better to do a true one step with something like 3D One and get more corrections out of it then lay down your LSP immediately after.

If you are considering getting new pads.. look into the Buff and Shine Uro-fiber pads. It is a great one step pad for most paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CC268 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I have some white and orange BOSS pads and was planning to order some more of both. I suppose I could order some yellow pads as well. The problem is I need a lot of pads (this will be for an airplane) and I’m trying to cut cost and steps where I can. I would like to have at least 10+ pads.

Maybe I ought to go with orange and yellow pads instead of white. Tough to say until I lay eyes on the paint.
    I think that is a good call. From all of the BOSS pads, (most to least aggressive... white, orange, yellow, black), the orange and yellow combination is probably the most versatile combination you could have from those choices.

11. Likes TMQ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post
    3D Speed will leave a bit of protection behind and you can certainly top it with another LSP for durability.

The question of which pad to use... it really depends on what your goal is and the condition of the paint. 3D Speed has some correction ability but it is mainly use for paint enhancement in most cases.

When use as a glaze for paint enhancement, it allows the user to get around the car in a relatively short time and hence the word... Speed. To correct light swirls... I would recommend using the orange pad but you do most likely will have to use more slower passes and limit the working area to a small area (2' x 2'). Unfortunately, this will take a lot more time.

If you are going to invest that much time then it might be better to do a true one step with something like 3D One and get more corrections out of it then lay down your LSP immediately after.
    I’ve got some other stuff as well. Menzerna 3500, Megs 205, HD Polish. Might be missing something. Not sure if any of those might be a better choice. I’ve always had great results with Speed and it’s easy to use.

Never heard of 3D One but maybe I’ll pick some up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CC268 View Post
    I’ve got some other stuff as well. Menzerna 3500, Megs 205, HD Polish. Might be missing something. Not sure if any of those might be a better choice. I’ve always had great results with Speed and it’s easy to use.

Never heard of 3D One but maybe I’ll pick some up.
    HD Speed is now called 3D Speed. 3D One is from the same company. It is a compound that is pad dependent. You could do correction as well as finish with it just by switching the pad out from a cutting pad to a polishing pad. PLUS... it is sun friendly just like 3D Speed.

3D One

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know anything about correction on a plane.

For me i used the BOSS orange pad with sonax perfect finish and the griots first gen G15. It left some hazing so i had to follow up with perfect finish with the yellow pad and i was very happy with the result.

I have read course foam pads don't hold up well. So if you needed something like the BOSS white you might be better off with the BOSS microfiber instead.

This is all speculation.

FYI: I have soft toyota paint.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast